Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Do You Want MMR in DBD?

Comments

• VioletCrimesVioletCrimes Member Posts: 870

I’m a mediocre player, so that wouldn’t affect me even if it was the case.

• gnehehegnehehe Member Posts: 252
    edited August 2021

MMR is not desirable in DbD ... at least while there are no perk classes restrictions on both sides.

The single positive point about MMR is the split MMR value for each killer, allowing people to try new killers without being bullied by regular opponents (new killer = low MMR value = noob-to-medium skilled opponents)

But Devs could do this last thing/feature using just some killer-specific rank

Post edited by gnehehe on
  • Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,198

i absolutely dont.

honestly, i feel like most just havent realized how much this is going to screw Killer gameplay over (regardless of your rating btw - if you have to give your absolute best in a game just to barely make a 2k in every single one of your games, that is not going to be a healthy thing for DbD overall. trust me, a lot of people are going to get burned out from DbD once they reached that point).

also, high rank DbD is going to be essentially unplayable.

well, unless you really enjoy going against / playing as super tryhard Nurses and Spirits that camp, slug and tunnel as much as they can to secure their kills.

• AlionisAlionis Member Posts: 637

No, you're wrong. I'm a solo survivor, I'm screwed with either system. For me it's not about getting better team mates, but fairer matches in general.

• bibibib8bibibib8 Member Posts: 844
  • PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 12,473

This is a game. People play it to have fun. I'm a fairly good Killer player. Would I enjoy going up against more challenging opponents more frequently? Sure! Would I be willing to sweat my ass off every game in order to even have a chance to compete? No.

Likewise, casual/average players are still going to complain about their teammates.

We also have no idea how MMR even works in this game. How am I supposed to get better if I can't even see what I need to work on?

The pip system needs an update, not a re-design.

• RenRenRenRen Member Posts: 1,117

I chose yes. I personally like fair matches and whenever I play dbd it never feels fair. I either get destroyed by survivors or I destroy the survivors. Whenever I play survivor I feel like my teammates are way better then me or a lot worse then me. I don't like being the hinderance in the team but I also don't like losing cause of my teammates.

• VioletCrimesVioletCrimes Member Posts: 870

I don’t have enough info to know if I would care or not. Just saying “your face the nurse or the spirit all the time” doesn’t actually mean anything. I understand that it’s supposed to be matching you based on your skill level, but I don’t know what they’re basing your skill level on. Number of wins? Number of points in an average round?

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 12,473

They will not disclose that information, which makes me (personally) suspicious.

We've got no idea what they are basing it on.

Basically though, if you want good teammates as Survivor, you're going to play against Nurse and Spirit all day.

If you don't want Nurse and Spirit all day, you're gonna get awful teammates.

As Killer, if you want to win, you've gotta play Nurse or Spirit at high-levels and you gotta sweat.

If you try to play someone else at high ranks, good luck.

At casual ranks, it's likely nothing will change. You'll still get ######### teammates and...interesting Killers.

• knellknell Member Posts: 563

Of course I do. I want to play against players of equal skill level. Not a fan of curb-stomping newbies or being stomped on by players who have thousands of more hours than I do.  All game designers should strive to make their game fair for everyone.

• bibibib8bibibib8 Member Posts: 844

They wont say that they dont want player to abuse the system because they know from the start the system will be crap. So wirt MMR after a match you wont even know if you did something good or not. I believe is because they dont even know themself what is a win

• knellknell Member Posts: 563

"Basically though, if you want good teammates as Survivor, you're going to play against Nurse and Spirit all day."

If that's the case and what you say is true, SSMR will show the reason why - that certain killers (in your example, all killers not Nurse or Spirit) cannot seem to make progress after certain rating no matter how good these players are. This is because they will always lose to certain groups - and those groups' ratings will continue to rise which will make it more and more difficult to matchmake them - then the developers will have to address the balancing issue whether they like it or not.

"If you don't want Nurse and Spirit all day, you're gonna get awful teammates."

No, ideally, you will get matched with awful teammates if you yourself is a pretty awful player. Which is fine, because you should be matched against awful killer players - so that you have, on average, 50% of escaping. If you are an average player, you will be matched with other average players, including the killer-player. If you are a good player, you will be matched with good teammates, but will also be matched against good killers, so that again, on average, you will have around 50% of escaping.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

"As Killer, if you want to win, you've gotta play Nurse or Spirit at high-levels and you gotta sweat."

Again, this is true only at the very highest levels, where balancing issues (probably) are. For most of us, playing any of the killer will only match us with survivors around your own skill level of that particular killer-character. Even at the highest level, if you are playing a killer that cannot compete (ratings-wise) with the best survivor-groups, you will face those groups less and less often because your killers' ratings will be stuck at a certain point in the rating scale, while their rating will have continued to climb.

• steezo_desteezo_de Member Posts: 921

I wouldn't mind it. Maybe with the info, they can make some kind of leaderboard. On the other hand, say goodbye to casual gameplay in red ranks if you want to get to rank 1, because if MMR works as intended, it will be a struggle to just get 2 kills and that's with good addons.

• JPLongstreetJPLongstreet Member Posts: 2,735

Last kill stats showed my beloved Amanda Panda overperforming should we nurf her as well?

((jk please don't she has enough troubles as she is))

• GhosteGhoste Member Posts: 1,513

I'll be honest, I was pro-MMR for a long time, but I admit people have raised fair concerns. I probably wouldn't enjoy playing against high-level opponents forever just because I'm experienced. This is a game after all, and I don't want to have to go into sweat mode every time I log on.

Also their refusal to share any details about MMR whatsoever makes me anxious.

That being said, the current rank system and emblem system are in a poor state. A matchmaking overhaul of some kind is needed. I think we can all agree on that.

• Grimmy_BluuesGrimmy_Bluues Member Posts: 353

Humongous no from me, unless they create a separate queue for it. You just can't implement SBMM into an asymmetrical pvp game that relies so heavily on RNG and expect it to work out.

Just make another queue that has it enabled, and refine the current matchmaking.

• GhosteGhoste Member Posts: 1,513

By the way @Pulsar, thanks for including an "unsure" option because I genuinely don't know which direction the game should take. For all its flaws, I do love this game and don't want to see it die. All I can do is hope the devs make the right decisions (and complain on the forums in the meantime lol).

• HaunterofShadowsHaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,459

eh

• LudicrisLudicris Member Posts: 244

The idea is going to drive many of the Killers away and make people play a lot more survivor. It will also show what's strong in the game and what's not, but ultimately the game won't be able to survive without it's Killer base.

Yes I understand most players play both roles, but que times are going to become awful when no one wants to play Killer anymore.

• SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 2,318

Honestly I do. I'm a casual player and matchmaking in it's current state has me going up against far more skilled players than I like, which means most of my matches end up being sweaty AF! LOL I certainly don't want to spoil matchmaking for anyone else, but I do like to play this game from time to time, and the last thing I want to do is get steamrolled for hours on end.

• ryanb122197ryanb122197 Member Posts: 77

Hell to the bloody no

• MarcoPoloYoloMarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508
    edited August 2021

First, I'm a killer main, so this is my perspective from being a good killer, but not that great at survivor(and probably not enough recent matched to operator on.

Second, MMR is working.

For a while I would have said bring MMR on so that there can be an objective stance on balance so that the game can have informed changes. With the realization that BHVR let a large portion if not the majority of their playerbase have a broken game for weeks, what are the odds that they'll make sweeping changes to maps and the base mechanics to the game? I don't think they'll put in the effort. They'll just stick the less skilled players together and call it a job well done.

After unknowingly playing several MMR matches of survivors with killers I have played a decent amount of recently, I've come to the conclusion that higher level DBD just devolves into the most boring schlock imaginable. By that, I don't mean frustrating like how it's commonly misused in the player base. I mean literally boring. It usually becomes a waiting game of seeing who screws up the positioning first. It simultaneously has the stress of an exam mixed with uninteresting moments, and every match will be like this. There is no chill game.

If the devs want to implement MMR, they're going to have to do a lot of work so that it doesn't become a matter of the game being fun at first, but becoming progressively more miserable the better you get. Also, I tried playing a killer I haven't touched for a while (Ghostface). Sure enough, it worked as intended, and I got some goofballs. Not necessarily terrible survivors across the board, but some that didn't immediately go for split gens. I guess the game has deemed I'm a pretty good Huntress and Clown. It'll be interesting to see where it puts me with Nurse and Blight.

edit: Then again, I was spammed with Coldwin maps, so maybe that's feeding into it.

• SadsnacksSadsnacks Member Posts: 673

Yes, please quarantine the sweaty tryhards to their own little salt mine and the rest of us can actually have fun in the game consistently.

• RenfearRenfear Member Posts: 91

MMR. Please. I am so sick of red ranks five games in a row, then a barely competent 16 with no perks. I'm a middle of the road survivor, I shouldn't be getting the far ends of the skill spectrum and nothing else.