Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Is anybody else with 1000+ hours still terrible at the game?

Comments

• MandyMandy Administrator, Co-ordinator, BHVR Posts: 19,335

I want to hear about the great moments and the really bad moments now...

• FancyMrBFancyMrB Member Posts: 1,230

I know some people base fun off high skill plays, but I find that silly. You don't need to constantly improve to have fun ^^

So as long as you are having fun and enjoying the game, then don't stop.

As for play time and skill, I don't think I have 1000 hours but I should be close. I am an average survivor and a not so good killer ^^" Killer is my preferred roll to play though because I find it fun win or lose.

The only time I get frustrated is with bully squads ;_;

• ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Not great at survivor and killer you can only go so far without 60+ ping lag advantage.

• SMitchell8SMitchell8 Member Posts: 2,501

I still make mistakes as survivor. Trying to mind game and failing miserably for example.

• FentV1rusFentV1rus Member Posts: 64

I've come to learn over the years that time played in a game means absolutely nothing. It is entirely dependent on the player, as well as the opponents they go against.

Going to reference another game for a moment. While I don't play League of Legends anymore, a good friend of mine does. He is friends with another person who has over 6,000 hours in League of Legends. This particular person plays ranked constantly, and their peak was Silver 1 across all of that time played. Why? This person never strives to better their self. They don't look for their mistakes, they don't try to correct anything, they just keep playing over and over. If you do this, you will never get better.

Back to Dead by Daylight. I don't have over 1k hours yet, and I really only play casually. However, I hit red ranks every month now. I don't play survivor hardly at all, but I'm still purple/red though when I do. I am constantly trying to better my gameplay as killer though. One of the biggest things that has helped me, is identifying players in a match that are better than me. It's a hard fact of life, but there are always people better than you. Here are some of the things I try to do every match:

-If I have gone around a loop two to three times without being able to get a solid hit, I end the chase. This is precious time lost. I'm not wasting that survivors time, I'm just giving their teammates more time.

-When the opportunity presents itself, I try to get rid of important pallets. On certain maps, some survivors have the instinct to go to generally safe loops. If they are expecting a pallet to be there, and it isn't, this almost always works in your favor. Shack pallet is the big one.

-Always assume an unhooked survivor has BT.

-Identify perks early. If you can see things like Sprint Burst, Lithe, Balance Landing early, this will help you immensely in later chases. If you haven't seen one of these three perks on a survivor, it is safe to assume Dead Hard is probably there.

-Pre-game your lobby. I used to get the four set perks I wanted on my specific killers, and then I almost never changed them. Not anymore. I watch what my survivors are bringing into the game. Two or more flashlights? Lightborn. Map/Key? Franklin's. Lots of toolboxes? Thana. Lots of Medkits? Sloppy/Thana. These are just general ideas.

I could sit here all day and try to give advice, but at the end of the day you just have to go out and learn. Whether or not you like any of the popular streamers like Scott, Otz, Dowsey; watching some of their games can give you some good ideas. Otz's analytical game videos, as well as his mind game tricks he shows in others, have helped me immensely.

• GannTMGannTM Member Posts: 9,630

I have over 1k hours and I suck at survivors. As killer I’m decent with a few killers but only like 20% of them.

• PurgatorianPurgatorian Member Posts: 1,137

Yes. Over 2k hours and I class myself as a mediocre killer at best but terrible at red ranks. I still fall for the t wall and looping tricks far too often even when trying to hide my red stain.

Terrible doesn't even begin to describe me as a survivor. I am a fantastic gen jockey but my games fall apart once in a chase, I can barely loop and always misjudge killer and pallet distances. It always seems the killer can catch up to me more quickly than I can when chasing survivors. I can't do pallet and flashlight saves at all so never take a flashlight into matches anymore.

I don't complain unless it's my 5th game in a row full of bullying/toxic red ranks. If I start to not enjoy myself though I just turn the game off for a while. I do enjoy levelling in games though so I try to focus more on my bp gain than winning or losing streaks, four 2 hooks no deaths gets far more than four 1 hook 4k does. I try the tricks the streamers pull but it rarely works for me.

Don't worry about not being the best. Yes you may get some toxic people spouting off about how you play but ignore them and don't start trying too hard as you will make more mistakes. If you enjoy your playstyle and the role you choose, no matter how good or bad you may be, your enjoyment of the game is all that matters.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,039
    edited August 2021

It took me +450 hours to get to rank 1 killer (which i cannot maintain, i am rank 6 now). I see most people online get rank 1 in killer in less than 200 hours

• ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 4,759
  • ZonkyWizardZonkyWizard Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2021

I've about 7K hours and still feel like I need to git gud at times

• Kira4EvrKira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

Me!

• Guest1567432Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728

Yep.

• FobboFobbo Member Posts: 449

2000+ hours and i still make dumb mistakes

• The_KrapperThe_Krapper Member Posts: 2,441

I think that everyone has their bad days and their good days , one day you could get clapped by someone and come back the next time and win , not every game is the same and even the best of the best make mistakes, I think that some people just take the game too personal or let it get them down when they don't have the best games in a day , but truth be told I think most of the player base with that many hours are actually really competent but who's to say that sometimes they aren't running a meme build or just trying something for fun?

• glitchboiglitchboi Member Posts: 5,416
    edited August 2021

2k+ hours and I still do stupid ######### as survivor, it's normal. Don't feel bad if you don't think you're good at DBD despite your playtime.

• A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,478

I probably collectively have over 5K hours, and yes, I'm still pretty trash at playing Killer despite maining it.

I get spun easily, and several times in a row to the point where I say to myself "I've been playing for years and I play like I'm a rank 20. #########".

Thing is, If 360'ing wasn't effective, people just wouldn't do it at high ranks, it works. Sometimes people shake around in a way that looks like they're doing one thing but actually doing the other, it messes me up when going for hits.

I can mind game and I know how to run tiles, for the most part, but I'm not the type to perfect every move I make, I just try my best. I always laugh when I get called a try hard. If you lost to me, you could have done better, because to be honest, I'm hardly amazing.

• SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 2,459

I don't have thousands of hours under my belt but I do have hundreds, and sometimes because of the nature of matchmaking I have a hard time shrugging off bad games and just having fun. If I played bad then that's on me, but if I'm competing against someone that's far higher in skill than myself, then that's on the game. With experiences like that it's hard to improve let alone have a good time.

• ShroompyShroompy Member Posts: 3,605

Dead by Daylight is the only game I've seen that takes THOUSANDS of hours to properly master. Normally when I check peoples profiles and see they have 1-2k hours, I know they're gonna be good but still fall for some tricks, even if its a SWF and they all have around that time I usually don't have to change the way I play and can play more laid back. When it goes above 2k, and you see people reaching 3k and over. I know I'm in for a treat.

Im sitting comfortably at 4,055 hours at the time of writing this. And looking back at when I only had around 1k, I really wasn't as good as I thought I was. I remember posting a tier list on the forums and saying Clown was the 6th best killer in the game...

• AshInTheTallGrassAshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,342

Ultimately, this game is about you having fun. So if you're having fun, then keep playing. You don't have to be great for that. Just play at whatever rank you're able to. Regarding the specifics of your post, do you habitually watch any skilled streamers? If not, start. Watch what they do and try to put yourself in their position. "If I were this character, I would do X right now" and see what the streamer does instead. See what happens. It might take a while, but if you want to get better to have a better time, then try that out.

• JPAJPA Member Posts: 1,685

I'm at 700-800 hours and I'd consider myself good at the game, I can get 4Ks fairly consistently, I still get absolutely rolled by teams quite often though, it's frustrating but it probably makes sense if they have more hours than me.

• LudicrisLudicris Member Posts: 244

When another player makes a mistake; "OMG why are you this bad at the game, how could I even be even matched in the same game as you?!"

When I make a mistake; "Oops" giggles

• LudicrisLudicris Member Posts: 244

Just watch Otzdarva, even the best Dead by Daylight players make mistakes, and he's the best at just shrugging them off.

• GcarraraGcarrara Member, Mod Posts: 2,120

🙋‍♂️ Always will be! 🙂

• Huge_BushHuge_Bush Member Posts: 3,700

I have 3,634 hours in this game. I'm pretty sure more than 3k of them are in survivor and I am still bad in both roles. I still can't loop properly, forget about looping while looking behind me (bless you Spine Chill, you carry me and I will forever love you), I still feel intimidated by the killer and when playing killer, I still get nervous if I suspect they're a good swf.

It won't change either. I hit the ceiling and I can't get better. Lifes been hard and my reflexes and eye sight aren't what they used to be. Also, I've always been bad at multiplayer games.

• bjorksnasbjorksnas Member Posts: 4,397

• RathoricRathoric Member Posts: 651

You have bad days and good days, some days you 3 or 4k most matches, the next you have a losing streak of 4 escapes for example.

As a console player you generally get 360'd quite a bit or easily lose track of someone in your fov by repeated spinning.

As far as looping is concerned i generally try and mind game strong tiles but if it's a stalemate after a minute i'd leave and find someone else instead of hurting my pride :P

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Yep, 1.1k hours and I have zero clue how I'm at red rank Killer and purple rank Survivor for the majority of the season.

• Hex_LlamaHex_Llama Member Posts: 1,484

It me!

I have around 1k hours, split between killer and survivor. I'm okay at survivor, but I'm terrible with all but my main killer and with my main it's still a toss-up sometimes.

It does put me in a weird position where it's like, what is the game I have the most hours in? DBD, by a wide margin. Am I good at that game? No. Do I like to play it? Only sometimes.

• TacitusKilgoreTacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,381

Yeah, not afraid to admit i kinda suck at this game. 2500+ hours and i still get crapped on pretty occasionally.

• Ghouled_MojoGhouled_Mojo Member Posts: 1,862

Yes and I seem to be getting worse some how.