Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
We've been made aware of error messages when attempting to purchase the Rift pass. The team is currently investigating, and we'll post an update as soon as we have more information.

UPDATE: This issue should no longer occur. Players who were affected may still be missing currency and/or unable to spend Auric Cells. We are working on a solution to resolve this and restore missing currency, and will update you as soon as possible.

Why do survivors use Dead Hard?

jaredlxxiiijaredlxxiii Member Posts: 557
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

I just had another survivor use it to to no avail. I know many say it is one of the best perks however I can't think of the last time someone successfully escaped me after using it. If the killer uses something that causes the exhausted effect it is completely useless.

Maybe it is because I generally get survivors in the green and purple ranks. Are red ranks that much better at using it and escaping a chase?

Comments

• TheGannManTheGannMan Member Posts: 7,028

It’s a great perk but many people use it wrong. Also it barely works on consoles.

• HaunterofShadowsHaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,066

It's not it helps you escape a chase it's how it helps them prolong a chase. I have a build made for escaping chase

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 10,745

What you experience, people using useless Dead Hards is basically what players want when they talk about removing the Distance from Dead Hard.

Even if the iframes would actually work (they dont), you would achieve nothing because the Killer would swing again.

Dead Hard only makes sense when used for distance to reach a Pallet or Window. But some players use it even when they are in Deadzones, where it is useless. So yeah, at this point, is is questionable why they use Dead Hard, because except for giving away that they have the Perk, they gain nothing.

• CrowmanCrowman Member Posts: 3,633

Dead Hard requires that the players know when and where to use it. Using Dead Hard wrong will often lead to you getting hit since it's not a perk that by itself makes distance. It's not as simple as just pressing the button as people try to make it.

It's a very effective perk on players with a lot of experience.

• ClowningClowning Member Posts: 886

Because their favourite streamer does it.

• jaredlxxiiijaredlxxiii Member Posts: 557
    edited August 2021

That could be fun. What perks do you use in that build?

• HaunterofShadowsHaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,066

Lithe+Dance with me+Quick and Quiet+Windows of oppurtunity. Basically when you vault a window you make no noise notification, get a speed boost, and leave no scratch marks during the entirety of the speed boost lithe gives you. I've escaped so many chases with this build because after I vault a window I zoom away and leave almost nothing to track my location.

• lemonswaylemonsway Member Posts: 750

To Make Killers LAG. That's the only reason DH exists ON CONSOLE.

• EvilBarney666EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 137

In the red ranks it's predominantly used for getting distance. I hardly ever see it used to avoid a hit. It extends loops and they make it to a pallet or window.

It takes 80 seconds for a gen to get done solo. 50ish if 2 or more are on it. Killer is on a time crunch. The longer you can extend the chase the more can get done by teammates.

That's what makes dead hard so useful in the higher ranks. It is also good for avoiding a hit if you can time it right and your not on console where it won't work lol.

• JunylarJunylar Member Posts: 1,307

Because it's a broken perk that grants several extra lives per trial for free.

• DaWeezerdDaWeezerd Member Posts: 255

Cause it's funny to see killer mains complain about it on the forums

• Nathan13Nathan13 Member Posts: 4,476

I only use it to extend chases even though I'm probably gonna go down 3 seconds later. Sometimes I get lucky with it at strong loops and extend the chase by up to maybe 30 seconds to a minute.

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 5,264

The reason many people run Dead Hard is that it is the best exhaustion perk in the game that provides the best chance for survival when used at the proper/optimal times.

• BadMrFrostyBadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

It's an on demand exhaustion perk with an easily fulfillable condition and it works when you want it to - at least, that's the idea. More than half the time it won't work because.. reasons, but in a perfect world, it's one of the best exhaustion perks in the game.

• Sunbreaker7Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 567

Dead Hard is a very powerful escape perk that can extend chases or grant unexpected escapes from death. People tend to use it because it can be used in almost any situation for as long as you are injured, while other escape perks, like balanced for example, is only helpful in certain type of maps and areas of it.

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Because it can be used mid-chase to good effect, it allows you to try cheeky/greedy strats like baiting swings, and when it works it feels pretty fun. Compare that to other exhaustion perks which are basically all about allowing you to hold W to get away, and it feels more dynamic and interesting to use. Plus it’s especially good against the strongest killers (Nurse, Blight, Spirit).

• ouroboros_worldouroboros_world Member Posts: 215

Press A for 3rd temporary health state, same reason survivor cries about noed even though it’s a hex perk and can be permanently deleted compared to dead hard which can be used on demand with short cooldown

• CrazewtboyCrazewtboy Member Posts: 1,083

Because when used correctly to prolong a loop, it becomes really good (and really obnoxious if you are the killer). When being used just to avoid a hit it is essentially useless as the killer will just swing again like many others have said. Only exception being running to the exit gate. Typically when not being used for distance it doesn't work because either they were in a deadzone with no real plan as a I said before or because the killer expected it and just didn't swing.

• YordsYords Member Posts: 5,473

Because it is very good when it is used to distance.

• EvilBarney666EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 137

If I remember correctly, they added the rush forward animation to show that dead hard was used. Before you would swing and it would go though the survivor.

I think they unintentionally buffed if by giving it a dash forward animation. If they wanted to make a visual tell that it got used they should add a lean to the side animation.

Then it would look like you dodged the hit and it would not give you distance.

At least I think I remember that's why they added it. I could be miss remembering it.

• A_Skinny_LegendA_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 848

To defy space and time for a few seconds.

• TGBTGB Member Posts: 301

Yes, but also, if you happen to be in a dead zone, you might as well use it and buy the team another second...

----

Judging anything based on poor usage is silly. Dead Hard is very obviously the best exhaustion perk, barring facing Killers that will insta-down you. (Which, I guess could raise a fair argument, I suppose.)

Being an on-command distance maker lets you control how it's used, which I'd say only Lithe shares (however, Lithe is way too map-dependent). So yes, as mentioned, you use Dead Hard to reach an object you weren't going to otherwise reach. And that's huge.

While Sprint Burst activates whenever you run, which gets clunky and promotes more walking than you may want to do.

And Lithe, as I said, is map-dependent. For example, it's basically an empty perk slot on the Stranger Things map.

Balanced Landing is nice but also very obviously map dependent, and would probably be a better perk if it wasn't an exhaustion perk and simply always muted big fall screams and made you land better... (No speed boost on it.)

And the locker one, what can I even say?

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 5,089

Spectated an EGC save where the two survivors only escaped because they both had DH in the exit gate. Sometimes I consider running it just because I hate going down inside the gate.

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 5,264

I'll tag you in a thread that you may find a good/amusing read related to your viewpoint.