Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
We've been made aware of error messages when attempting to purchase the Rift pass. The team is currently investigating, and we'll post an update as soon as we have more information.

UPDATE: This issue should no longer occur. Players who were affected may still be missing currency and/or unable to spend Auric Cells. We are working on a solution to resolve this and restore missing currency, and will update you as soon as possible.

The Great MMR Lie

For the past few days i see a large amount of huge content creators spitting the same lies.

Let's get some facts straight here:

1. You don't know your own personal MMR.
  2. You don't know your opponents MMR's.
  3. SBMM doesn't mean you will always be matched against people of your skill level, because Queue time is a part of the equation.

Yet i read Youtube titles like "WRAITH AT MAX MMR (IT'S KINDA SILLY)" and statements that are just wrong. It's been a constant blaming of loses to a "too high MMR of the opponent(s)".

Just because a player has a huge playtime does not mean he necessarily has to have a high MMR. We have no idea if and how playtime is taken into consideration when MMR is calculated. Yes playtime is an indicator of how well you understand the game, but it doesn't mean you have to have a massive MMR just because you play a ton.

DBD is a game of variables and Butterfly effects. It starts at the map that you play over Items, Addons, the Spawnpoints of Players, Gens, Totems and every decision the player makes leads to a new outcome of the match. You can win a good team in 60 seconds and you can loose a bad team with no hooks.

Abusing MMR to gaslight your audience into thinking matches are "unwinnable" is not only unfair towards the devs, it's also unhealthy for the game and creates players that rather shift the blame for their loses onto an unvisible number rather than trying to improve.

Content Creators are either lying to their audiences, creating clickbait titles for the whole purpose of gaining views or they are lying to themselfs to boost their fragile egos.

Comments

• vacamanvacaman Member Posts: 1,137

All of this would be solved by making MMR public or a correlated rank but for some odd reason people don't want it.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 10,744

To be fair, the Content Creator you talk about is a little bit odd when it comes to his own Skill compared to others. And I would not say that he is the standard.

E.g. OhTofu, another great DBD-Player is all for SBMM. He thought that playing Killer was pretty boring before, because it was so easy, but with SBMM he had a blast during the latest test before it went live.

And other Content Creators are also pro-SBMM. Some are against it. Some for it. Just like the whole playerbase.

• ThiccBudhhaThiccBudhha Member Posts: 4,416

You saying that he does not understand mm ah? Sounds like a big ego surviva who doesn't understand their advantages.

• miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Is this anything like The Great Rock 'N Roll Swindle? Sid Vicious' cover of "My Way" is on that album. It kicks ass.

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 2,790
    edited September 2021

Players have always blamed their failings on the matchmaking. When ranks were relevant, you lost because your opponent was a higher rank than you, not because they played better than you. When you won, it was because your opponent was a lower rank than you. etc.

That entire mindset needs to go, and hidden MMR should, in time, ween us off it, but in the early stages people will try to apply it to 'blame' MMR's shortcomings. I've fallen prey to it myself, and it's not conductive to a healthy game at all.

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 8,040

There are many delusional content creators for sure.

just watched a German streamer last night, he literally hard camped/tunneled every match and blamed SBMM that he only gets 1-2 kills.

if confronted he as super condescending and literally said people that don’t have his playtime of 11K hours or his supposedly super high MMR are not worth discussing with.

the funny thing is he played exactly like that before but because of potatoes it often resulted in h winning.

but there are also plenty of reasonable content creators as well. Some work actual valid criticisms about SBMM. It’s not perfect of course (and no matchmaking system can ever be)

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 10,744

I think I know who you are talking about. That person is a Nurse-Main, right?

Because I switched into his Stream after MMR was released and he was complaining about getting super-high games. And usually he is either playing Nurse or ALWAYS bringing the strongest Add Ons with other Killers. Like MDR on Spirit, Tombstone Piece on Myers, Range + Blink Recharge on Nurse...

And it is clear that someone like that will have sweaty games, because he is sweaty himself, otherwise he would not run the strongest Stuff all the time.

• MooksMooks Member Posts: 8,040

yep, I think we are talking about the same person but no need to name-shaming of course. And there are many others with similar mindsets. In his case it’s just so blatantly obvious he is just asking for easy 4Ks every match, which he sadly got before SBMM

• WalterKEKWhiteWalterKEKWhite Member Posts: 53

You made my day Sir. That meme fits so perfect. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2021

You're right, what's the point of being sweaty? It is a useless waste of energy and time because this game will never be balanced and SFWs will always have the upper hand

MMR is just a trap for anyone who think this game is skill-rewarding

Should I get better just to take a punch in the face?

• EvilBarney666EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 136

Best way to have the most fun. Just don't give a rats booty if you win or lose. You get stomped? Meh. You win Cool.

Look at it like buying and playing a scratch off ticket. You buy the ticket, you scratch it off. Your having fun doing it. If you don't win what do you do? Punch the guy who sold it to you? Get salty at him? No you just shrug your shoulders and say oh well. You throw the ticket out and go on.

You win 5 bucks. Your most likely to say oh cool, I won 5 dollars. It's the same principle. Play the game, you win you win you lose you lose. Don't blame it on anything just move on. I bet you will have a lot more fun in this game.