Home Dead by Daylight Forums Feedback Feedback and Suggestions

A better idea for Deathslinger rework

MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,435
edited September 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions
  • Keep the TR at 24m
  • Keep the speed at 110
  • Keep the change to the wind-up/aim animation having to go through BUT allow for a quicker cooldown for an M1 attack when lowering the gun from aiming when he's within lunge range (meaning he can still quickly hit you if you run past him within an arms' distance)
  • Add an indicator to the environment that the players are up against him (NOT a lullaby, but e.g. weathered wanted posters plastering the walls)
  • Give him the ability to trap pallets with tripwire to have them come down on survivors when they RUN through it, slowing them down. Similar with vaults/windows.
  • disable M&A on him (I'm not kidding. Just bar him from it)
  • Increase the hitbox/range slightly at the cost of moving speed and windup time. Meaning that you'll be able to land hits slightly further away the longer you aim. (not more than his TR)
  • Give survivors a clear indication on how to break the chain when speared
Post edited by Rizzo90 on

Comments

• MomentosisMomentosis Member Posts: 822

On your environment indicator point, I wish the environment decayed near PH.

• DehitayDehitay Member Posts: 1,723

The terror radius should never be short on a ranged killer. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when it came to Deathslinger. They seemed to fully understand that point when they made Huntress. And what's worse is that his terror radius audio is actually significantly more quiet than average which means he can get even closer before you can truly hear it. It was only natural that M&A would be used with him being perfectly setup for it and essentially turn him into a near stealth ranged killer.

• MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,435
    edited September 2021

That'd be nice, but also a strain on hardware if you'd want it to be more than just a texture on the ground that fades after a moment (similar to how blood works in the game)

He's a bounty hunter. He was meant to be a stealth ranged killer (limited range killer, mind you, with many more setbacks than huntress or tricksters), which is fine, but M&A takes it too far. His strength is cutting chases short once he gets close enough. That's it. He needs the lower TR because he has literally nothing else. The chain has a max range of 18m just 6m below his TR.

Him being a stealth ranged killer is fine as he has a limited range. with a bigger TR it's unlikely you'll even get the time to aim and shoot, as people will long since be away. With simply barring him from M&A you give him a chance to use his ability. With the planned changes you quite force him to be an M1 killer.

• adirgeforthedeadadirgeforthedead Member Posts: 373

One thing that actually surprises me is how some people are celebrating this nerf like he was one of the best Killers in the game when data shows he has a 6% of overall use across all Killers in the game. I'm fully expecting this nerf to reduce that to less than 3%. He wasn't used, he wasn't overpowered and still got this very bad treatment.

But he got a speed boost!

Bloody hell, that's nothing on him unless they actually increase his mobility to that of a non-ranged Killer.

With my rant over, I think the tripwire would probably cause more complaints than he already has, but I agree in all other ideas you presented. I've been wanting to use some perks based in Terror Radius on him, but generally it didn't seem they'd be feasible since he does need the stealth factor to be functional.

I will still give a try to the PTB and provide as much useful feedback in hopes they reconsider some of these changes. I do have a strong feeling it's going to be a rough few hours of gameplay whatsoever.

edited September 2021

He'll only get a speed "boost" when aiming. Meaning his base speed is still 110(without bloodlust) but he'll now be marginally less slowed down when aiming, meaning he'll still be slower when aiming?

The way the notes are described it says Decreased the movement speed penalty while aiming down sights and it no way it seems to hint he is getting faster when aiming, but just less slower instead.

• ThiccBudhhaThiccBudhha Member Posts: 5,995

Any killer that denies a survivor options is considered oppressive by their standards. Even Nemesis despite all the free health states he hands out like candy. Albeit, I feel Nemesis is top tier contrary to most people. But you know, that is not the point. The point is I could say, "survivors would hate a ranged attack even if it did no damage and gave them a speed boost just because vaulting wouldn't be as safe" and it wouldn't be a joke. It would be reality.

edited September 2021

yeah. which... You know, on his own map these changes are maybe OK because it's small, open with a lot of points where shots are the go-to? but on literally every other map he's screwed.

seriously. The thing complained about most with Slinger was *checks notes* he's strong in chases and can't be looped.

The 'oh no ALL slingers fake ADS to get close enough for a m1 hit' is NOT slinger's fault. He can only make that distance by faking if survivors stop pressing W and strife with A or D instead of W+A or W+D OR suddenly crouch. faking shots slowed him down, and now he gets punished for survivors not being able to break the line of sight (just wait till they get the devs to bar myers and ghostface from stalking while in a chase)

Basically this nerf rewards everyone who whined about having to change their ridiculous loop-juke-teabag playstyle. Because no quickshots also means no more dragging clickbagging survivors out of the gate the moment the EGC ends and punishing them for their hubris

• JetTheWaffleCatJetTheWaffleCat Member Posts: 284

I think the best thing they could do after the changes is remove the reduced camera sensitivity when aiming. It's the main reason why so many Slingers resorted to quick scoping.

That way he can still kinda flick shots like a Huntress can.

I'm not sure what else they could do with him after this.

naw, the quickscoping DID make use of survivors basically stopping and running in a 90° angle instead of zigzagging when in a chase. the sensitivity doesn't affect anything.

But the shooting from the hip could save his butt in loops and at pallets. Now the only spots where he can actually use his ability are three spots on his map (which is still not available) and potentially one or two on haddonfield depending on gen spawns.

that's it. 4-5 spots across ALL maps.

• AneurysmAneurysm Member Posts: 4,731

Okay I don't play slinger but I do play some huntress, they said his time to be fully ADS'd and able to shoot is 0.4 seconds which is not very long. When aiming with huntress survivors usually start weaving back and forth so I wait til they end up back in their original position before releasing, is there some reason slinger can't do that?

miniscule hitbox and limited range. Huntress' hatchets have a hitbox about the same diameter as that of survivors, whereas slinger's is more of a hitDOT. you know the shot that goes over zarina's shoulder in the DLC's trailer? that is how easy missing a shot actually is. Plus he has a max range of 18m and then needs to reload which each time takes about as long as huntress reloading at a locker. while he can move during it, he's also slowed down a little.

Besides what OP already pointed out. You can only have a single shot before needing to recharge, you can't hit Survivors through safe pallets and your range is always limited to 18m whereas Huntress has the capacity of extending her range by throwing hatchets at elevated angles. Basically, they made him a worse and less viable Huntress in all possible ways.

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 9,593

I think he needs a lullaby but make it only 28M. This means even if he has moniter you still have time to react but it doesn’t effect him too much normally

They could've so easily added the sound of rattlesnakes at the beginning of his terror radius as a lullaby which slowly blends into his terror radius like Trickster's does.

Mhnn... not a full fledged lullaby like huntress' humming, but a clear (mocking) whistle when you get into range?

• ZarathosZarathos Member Posts: 1,843

A ranged killer shouldnt have such a short limited range either. A ranged killer should never have to deal with indoor maps and maintain the speed disadvantage. There are so mamy restrictions accounting for deathslinger already.

Just think if you took away his quickscope and his tr advantage how would you sell this killers gameplay over huntress trickster or pyramid head. This is blatant vandalism. He is losing mechanics and gaining nothing. They could have added a charge shot that inflicts exposed. Increased muzzle velocity the longer you held aim. A immediate reload on hitting a successful hit. Increased range with a stronger chain.

Everyone knew slinger had a lot of problems and a straight nerf that takes out his core selling points is a disgrace.

• ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Huntress hitbox is the size of a car + ping delay. The spear hitbox is tiny and easy to dodge.

• DehitayDehitay Member Posts: 1,723

His advantage over Huntress is obviously the ability to reload without having to break chase. Also, have people actually paid attention to how long it takes him to fully aim down sights? It's almost negligible if you're not trying to insta shoot. It's definitely way shorter than the Huntress' windup.

He also has the same ability to reload in chase advantage over Trickster. While their windup is closer to being the same, Deathslinger usually gets the hit faster once he has line of sight.

once he has line of sight

and that's one part of the issue. Now getting that will be absurdly hard unless you have a big open map.

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 3,652

disable M&A on him

You know this will never ever happen right?

• ZarathosZarathos Member Posts: 1,843
    edited September 2021

His capacity is a single bullet. One of the least valued weapons in any shooter tends to be breach action rifles (unless they can one body tap) . I'd rather have 5 shots that do the same amount of damage with a longer reload period then a single shot that will at most do the same amount of damge assuming the wire doesnt snap.

A faster wind up is worthless when you consider the range limitation being a mere 18 meters most breech actions have significantly longer range, a single shot capacity with added time messing with reeling mechanics that dosent even guarrante a down.

You start to match the positives with the negatives and it becomes very clear he has no meaningful selling points vs the rest of the rooster. Its utterly baffling how you think a faster wind up time huntress with a significantly lower capacity but faster reload even approaches a justifiably good killer concept.

His tr and quickscoping was the main seling point of the killer ripping it out in a alteady troubled killer is straight up vandalism. You can't seriously believe he dosent need some massive compensatory buffs to give him back some gameplay identity.