Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Watching Otz's 'Rating Perks' Video Made Me Realize Something...

StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 5,388
edited October 2021 in General Discussions

A lot of survivors complain, currently, about killers only running 1 of about 6-7 different perks.

While I don't agree with Otz on everything (only basically everything killer related ^_^ ), he is one of the best killers out there, and he plays basically every killer and tries basically every perk combination.

The vast, vast majority of killer perks are either 'mediocre' or 'terrible'. This is usually either a result of them being so niche you may never see them actually activate, or so weak that the survivors might not even realize that it did.

There are 10 or so others that are decent, but situational/have a huge trade-off/have a massively long cooldown, and perhaps 6 that are 'good' or 'excellent' for the majority of killers and games.

Could it be that maybe the problem isn't a handful of perks being too strong - but the vast majority simply not being good enough?

EDIT: To anyone saying 'well, this is true of both sides' - I challenge you to go through survivor perks and killer perks, note how many on either side are universally good (even where surpassed by better perks) and how many are universally bad, to the extent where they are an outright nerf over an empty slot and compare the two.

Post edited by StarLost on

Comments

• botraxbotrax Member Posts: 633

I think for a perk to be usable by the killer they need to enter one of 2 categorie.

The first one can this perk slowdown the gen if yes can i replace it with one of the slowdown i already use most of the time its no.

2 can i track survivor with this perk and can that perk replace my tracking perk most of the time its a no but at least this perk have more chance to see play it only depend on the drawback the perk will have.

All the other perk they make most of the time get try but they are rapidly going in the categorie if i want to meme i will use those perk

• CrowmanCrowman Member Posts: 4,247

The thing is at least survivors have a lot of generally useful perks even if they aren't meta. Meaning a survivor run off meta perks isn't hurting themselves as much as a killer running off meta perks.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 5,388
    edited October 2021

The reason for this is the current meta, plus the nature of playing killer right now.

On any killer without the ability to move rapidly over the map, not bringing regression perks is near suicide. A coordinated team will brute force their way through gens faster than you can possibly respond to, even if you are able to chase them off.

Information perks are similar. Without them, it's far too easy for a team of survivors to simply waddle around in the bushes, and you've lost 4 gens before you even get a real chase.

Unless you are going to camp and/or tunnel people down, you absolutely need one, if not both of the above.

Not really. There are some bad survivor perks (far fewer after the next patch), but most of them will at least have some impact on how a match plays out.

I don't think there is anything like Distressing and Dying Light in survivor perks, stuff that works out at a defacto buff for the other side if you pick it.

• BrokenbonesBrokenbones Member Posts: 3,035

There's also some like, reverse power-creep shenanigans (I think?)

Why would anyone use something like Gearhead when Tinkerer exists

Gearhead requires 2 basic attacks, requires a survivor to ONLY hit good skills checks and ONLY in the time it's active

Or you just have Tinkerer which tells you exactly WHICH gen hit 70% and it gives you undetectable as a bonus. Wow.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,037

Killers have several useful perks that aren't meta. The problem as with survivors is their meta perks are way to strong to not use in comparison.

• unluckycombounluckycombo Member Posts: 575

This, right here! Entirely agree with this statement. Both sides have some good off-meta perks. They really do. (Doesn't mean some perks like Furitive Chase or Autodidact couldn't use some adjustments). The issue is that the meta is too strong for either side to have a reason not to run them outside of archives. (Meta Perks make the game far easier on both sides, and when faced against an opponent that's better than you/knows what they're doing, are guaranteed to get you more value than off-meta perks.) It's also compounded by the cycle of 'Well if I'm only going to see my opponents run meta perks, why shouldn't I? I want a chance to play the game too.' which is frankly just... not fun.

• humanbeing1704humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 6,703

One issue is that usually the number % is low

The effect is good but the numbers? Yeah no

The best example of this I can think of is fire up

• SnowbawlzzzSnowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,121

The devs are very hesitant with killer perks because they have a higher chance of tipping the scales when used on the S-tier killers

• SnowbawlzzzSnowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2021

I've made thread after thread about garbage killer perks with obvious ways to make them decent, and only just now with the new patch have I seen progress towards that goal.

edited October 2021

For example?

I'm not talking about 'meta' here. I'm talking about 'good'.

Something that is likely to be a solid choice for the majority of games, without huge trade-offs or being ridiculously easy to play around and/or negate.

Busy looking through survivor perks right now and yeah - I'm pretty confident that I'm right on this one. There are far more universally helpful perks on the survivor side of things, even compared numerically against killer perks. And keep in mind that 4x the perks will be active overall on the survivor side of things.

I don't think Gearhead was or ever will be a good perk in it's current form. It's too likely to send you deceptive information, and you usually want information to determine your next target rapidly.

You've either hit a survivor once and will continue pursuing them, or you're carrying them to the hook - by which time you don't really have much of that 30 seconds remaining.

Also, consider that it may never activate at all, due to the 'Good' skill check requirement.

Yup. Either the numbers are too low, requires RNG on top of RNG to activate at all, or has an incredibly punishing cooldown timer for what it does.

The bad killer perks are generally worse than the survivor perks. That said, No Mither is probably the worst perk in the game.

At least No Mither has a benefit.

Distressing is, without hyperbole, worse than an empty slot on nearly every killer.

The benefits of No Mither are not worth the downside. Distressing has limited uses, but doesn't really hurt most killers. Survivors are just going to be confused by your terror radius.

I experimented a lot with Distressing, and this isn't the case beyond extremely beginner level games. Even at my own low-intermediate level, all that happens is survivors peel off and hide 2-3 seconds earlier (huge), before either running or going back to their gen. It's almost giving them a free Spine-Chill, without any of the drawbacks. The only benefit is a paltry BP gain.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

I don't like how impactful perks on this game are. The difference between having Ruin or Pop compared to not having them is huge and it makes running other perks kind of "meh". I think perks should be good but not that game changing, imo the ideal level are perks like BBQ and STBFL where they provide strong effects but they aren't super insanely S tier perks.

Of course this applies to both sides. Dead Hard and Iron Will alone make literally every other chase or stealth focused perk obsolete.

I...sort of agree, but it would require such a massive, from-the-ground-up reworking of not only perks, but the entire flow and speed of the game that it's sort of a fait accompli at this point.

Playing without regression/generator info perks on a killer that has limited map presence is horrific, especially on larger or more vertical maps. Survivors can just rotate on and off gens and, assuming that skill is relatively similar on both sides, the gates will be open before you get your second kill unless you get very lucky patrolling.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Yeah I agree with you. It's kind of a dream because I know it's impossible with the rate devs change things. They also said today that they don't intend on changing core mechanics that much so perks will remain being band aid fixes for those.