Home Dead by Daylight Forums Feedback Feedback and Suggestions

Why RPD is a very unhealthy map for DBD.

This map has been complained about a lot ever since it's release, more so than Lery's, Midwich, Haddonfield, amongst other hated maps. The thing is, while I agree those maps aren't great, I don't mind playing on them all that much. I made a post about how much I hate this map before, but it's time to explain in more detail as to why I hate it.

This map is absolutely awful. It's far too big, and is much too enclosed. The long, narrow hallways and small rooms, alongside very unsafe pallets and the lack of windows, make doing almost anything a challenging task. Finding generators is hard, finding Totems is hard, and running from the Killer is hard. Everything on this map is hard. Additionally, based on which Killer it is, it can become even harder. Trickster is generally not good on indoor maps, but it's impossible to avoid his blades on this map. Last I checked, running down a straight hallway is not a good way to avoid his blades, yet, that's mostly all this map has. The same applies to Deathslinger, and Huntress.

The map is also too dark in many places, making it near impossible to see things like bear traps and Hag traps.

The funny part is, on the satisfaction survey from the other day, they asked questions about RPD, and I gave it a very bad review. They even asked how likely you are to leave the game when you are put on that map, to which I answered very likely. I always disconnect during offering showing if I see an RPD badge, and there's no sacrificial ward. If I get the map by random chance, I often try to play it, but usually end up disconnecting due to extreme frustration. This map single handedly increases disconnect rates by quite a bit.

They need to disable this map permanently, and make it only available in custom games. Give us a different Resident Evil map, one that isn't so enclosed and bad for the game. The streets of Raccoon City would be very interesting to see as a map. I don't see why they didn't do that in the first place. Or perhaps one from a different Resident Evil game, maybe the castle from Resident Evil 4, or maybe even the village. Anything that isn't RPD.

A select few people seem to like the map, and argue against removing it, saying things like "you just need to learn the map." That has nothing to do with it. I know the map, it's the sole fact that it's an extremely large and enclosed map where everything becomes a pain.

Comments

• PalletsAndHooksPalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

It's not a bad map. The dark areas do need to be adjusted, but the map itself needs minimal tuning. Some areas don't have any pallets, some areas are too safe. The loops need to string together and some areas could be closed off altogether for consistency.

• SlothGirlySlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

I wish the map was done in the way Gideon Meat Plant was done, as it's own unique map, with tiles comprised as a culmination of references from the RE IP, like how you have the pig grinder, bathbroom, redroom and freezer all in Gideon Meat Plant. It isn't a faithful recreation of any particular place in the Saw world. If RPD was like that and BHVR took more artistic licence in making the map I think it would have been amazing. That said it may be entirely possible they were testing how people would react to a faithful recreation, or could even have been contractually obligated.

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 4,438

I’m afraid to ask what is a bad map in DbD to you, because a map where like no other I can lose hook stages with Kindred equipped tells me that something is fundamentally wrong with the map design. Apart from the god loops and pallets, hooks in corridors totally under the killer’s control, and overall vastness of the map.

And also the only map to spawn hatch on the second and third floors. As if searching one floor wouldn’t be hard enough on this map. Red flag anyone?

• jesterkindjesterkind Member Posts: 3,686

I heard a rumour at some point that they're looking at splitting the current RPD map into three maps under the same realm, and I think that'd solve a lot of these issues.

It's important to separate the actual problems with the map from things that are personally annoying/undesirable, though. It's not a problem that it's indoors, but it IS a problem that it's absolutely gigantic and has the old problem of knowing exactly where you need to go but needing to take a zig-zag pattern half a mile out of your way to get there. I think splitting it up would alleviate this first issue a lot, but there might be some areas that still need some adjusting to prevent the second issue...

I don't find any of the maps to be problematic for gameplay. There are nuances I don't enjoy about each map, but in more concerned about the lack of zones and maps for recent releases (twins, trickster, etc), and I'm also more concerned about map distribution being heavy in some zones and minimal in others.

Rezoning existing maps would be ideal, and taking old map designs onto new zones altogether would also serve to better distribute the maps. All that with better procedurial map rng would be ideal; playing the same zone over and over is exhausting and I find it hard to believe that rng alone dictates which maps are selected each trial.

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 4,438
    edited October 2021

I respectfully disagree with there being no problematic maps, but I wholeheartedly agree with your other sentiments. Something is definitely off with map rotation.

For example, I was recently going for the Rift challenge to escape with an ultra rare item as Elodie. So I figured I’d run a Skeleton Key + Annotated Blueprint for my best chances. First trial, Freddie who loaded a Midwich offering. Ok. Second trial, Midwich with Freddie again (think it was the same one, didn’t pay attention though). This time, no map offering though. Third time? You guessed it, Midwich with no map offering. Midwich three times in a row while running Annotated Blueprint and a Skeleton Key, where only one instance involved the map offering.

???

Given that there's five players per trial, it'd be easy enough to lock out the last five maps those players just plaued....or at least considerably...no... tremendously reduce the chances any of those maps are played the next round.

• KateMain86KateMain86 Member Posts: 1,380

The map is fine. Its the best map they've made in my opinion and has added scare factors to the game that make for some very thrilling spooks. I think a lot of the criticism has come from people being too used to smaller maps with less detail than RPD does so the transition to something like RPD hasn't settled in yet. I would suggest playing it several times in a row to get more muscle memory. Its really not as bad as people make it out to be.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0nR1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,604

Nah, the map isn't fine. Needs removed. Muscle memory is completely out of the question here, that's not the issue.

• SasukeKunSasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858

i personally love that map! i also heard we are getting different versions of it or something

It's a beautiful map, don't get me wrong, it looks amazing, it just doesn't play out well in this game. Most people who say they like it are mostly biased just because it looks good, or because they like Resident Evil.

I love Resident Evil, but it's not a good map for DBD...

• ZarathosZarathos Member Posts: 1,888

Its too big. If you are against pig with an active trap you are screwed. Honestly if a pig trap is a death sentence thats probably a sign your map is too huge. You can like it for its asthetic but making a west wing and east wing variant would solve so much of this maps frustrations.

• SasukeKunSasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858

I like it because it's a good looking map, also i know the map from playing it and practicing(which people seem unable to do). Also it's very similar to the RE:2 Remake

• ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 4,668

Believe it or not, but different people have different opinions. And you disconnecting on this map might just ruin the fun of others on this map that like the map.

It's definitely not my favorite map, but I personally like it just because it's so different. The balance is wack, but it actually feels like a real place instead of just a map generated for the game, which I appreciate. It's very immersive, which I enjoy especially as survivor.

And it is true that you can definitely learn to get better at the map, but that's not easy, and of course, it only does so much. Again, the balance is a bit wack, and narrow hallways are one of the reasons why.

• HippieHippie Member Posts: 1,003

If RPD is too big because of Pig then Groaning Storehouse is too big as well... I almost died to a trap on my head on that map. Pig didn't even have Tampered Timer, I had no interruptions while trying to take off my hat and, while it did end up being the fourth and furthest box from me and I searched all three before it, I only had ~20 seconds left on my timer when I took it off! It was awful.

But besides that, I really think it just takes time to learn it and understand the layout. I feel like if they made it into two maps they would be far too small on their own. They just need to make the back exit a static spawn instead of being either on the right or left and maybe put a large map in the main lobby on a whiteboard. That way you can look and get a general idea for the layout if you need to!

• ZarathosZarathos Member Posts: 1,888

No there not the same sheer time spent locating the closest stairs correctly locating the room of the box and praying it doesn't spawn in the uppers area or other side of the map is very different from holding w across relatively open plain. Elevation changes things dramatically especially. Your story is clearly an inefficiency in how you were searching the boxes and we can try it in private games if you want to see first hand what the difference between rpd and storehouse is.

I heavily disagree with the sentiment it would be too small. As long as you keep the lobby in both iteration but cordon off one side you would have plenty of room it would open the library to be and actual looping zone as the pallet distribution wouldn't be spent on two sides and making the area by the exits have additional pallets and loops. As it stands this map is a disgrace from a gameplay perspective anytime you see devs default to god pallets that's is a terrible sign that speaks volumes about the current map design team.

• HippieHippie Member Posts: 1,003

I wouldn't say it was clearly an inefficiency in searching the boxes. I immediately went to take the hat off when I was unhooked, and the closest box to me was where the Pig was so I had to go to the second closest one and it was around 18 seconds away. From there I went around the outside of the map to each box (which were all located around the outside of the map) and searched them promptly. Going through the middle of the map would have meant me getting in a chase and most likely going down again (I was injured from unhook) and still not taking off the hat. I watched my clip of the situation (since I thought it was awful at the time and saved it) and after adding up all the travel time and an extra 5 seconds it took me to unhook my teammate before they went into struggle, it took me 102 seconds to take off the hat. That's not even accounting for getting in a chase + going down, being unhooked and having to strike out for another box with the timer resuming right after being unhooked!

But anyway, I guess we'll agree to disagree. RPD really doesn't seem that large to me after playing on it several times, I do agree that the W key is very strong there but W is strong on many maps, not just RPD. But after learning the layout of the map it really isn't too bad of an experience for me--it's not too hard to find your way upstairs either! My view is just that while the map is not really made for DbD and can be very confusing for first, second or even third timers, I think it's just a different kind of gameplay that I can appreciate from time to time.

I don't care if disconnecting ruins the fun of others on that map. That map alone ruins MY fun.

• Starr43Starr43 Member Posts: 866

Not going to lie.. I wouldn’t mind emergency lights to be placed in the hallways as some sort of indicator. They can be off and then switch on when a survivor is hooked. Something to help guide me to then and then to me without breaking the immersion. I’m sure I’ll master the basic routes but damn I’ve seen way too many people go into second stage unnecessarily because I was across the map without comms and by the time I get there I get all lost and turned around like Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth..

• BeemoBeemo Member Posts: 26

This map is the worst. And everything you said is 100% true.

• Marc_123Marc_123 Member Posts: 2,370

Sadly that tells enough about you.

Stop dcing. Grow up. Learn the map.

It is a good one because it is a bit more complicated than the normal ones.

• Mat_SellaMat_Sella Member Posts: 3,090

I was about to write a whole dissertation until I realize this thread was necro'd...

Carry on!

I don't wanna stop dcing, I hate the map and it shouldn't exist in this game period. The devs need to grow up and realize that RPD is an awful map. I've learned the map, I just hate it.

• Marc_123Marc_123 Member Posts: 2,370

Thats your opinion and you can dc as you want.

That doesn´t make it any better. Other people have other opinions.

But you are one reason why there have to be dc penalties.