Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why do new killers think "tunneling" is a good idea?

2»

Comments

• BardonBardon Member Posts: 501

Given that BHVR have confirmed that for a killer, MMR is solely determined by the number of kills they get in a match it's pretty much the definition of a win.

• nikodemonikodemo Member Posts: 354

For new killers learning the game, their understanding will be more simple. I'm a killer, I kill, I see you, you die. Repeat.

It takes time for them to begin the understand the nuances of the game.

For experienced killers, removing 1 surv from the match drastically improves their chance of winning assuming they can get it done quickly. In that sense it can be efficient, if not the most fun for the tunneled person.

• UssuUssu Member Posts: 177

I never purposely tunnel, however there are plenty of times when I can only find the same survivor and everyone else is just really good at hiding.

Also I've been in chases before where I'm after someone else but then suddenly, surprise! The same survivor I hooked 2 minutes ago frantically runs around the corner and literally plows right into me. Not gonna ignore that lol.

• ThiccBudhhaThiccBudhha Member Posts: 5,756

Newer killers aren't whipped like the old ones who care about the feelings of survivor mains.

• Infinity_BoredInfinity_Bored Member Posts: 445

Because they choose the easy way. Finding and chasing a new surv takes skill. Better stay close.

• Kira4EvrKira4Evr Member Posts: 1,619

Because it's easy and they probably haven't experienced the world of BT and DS

• GlamourousLeviathanGlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 561

Well, because it is.

Getting someone out of the game early is always a good option. Also, most survivors will stop doing gens to bodyblock or go for flashlight saves, which gives you more reason to do it since they are busy not doing gens.

• RenRenRenRen Member Posts: 1,117

They're new do you think they know how to play optimally?

• BrokenSouIBrokenSouI Member Posts: 5,191

Ah yes. Let's pretend that it's not a necessity to do at times. Let's pretend it's not not the smart thing to do at times. Let's try to shame and bring "skill" in to it. When knowing how and when/who to camp/tunnel is a skill all by itself.

• ReikoMoriReikoMori Member Posts: 2,147

They're new and thus don't know concepts like time management, gen speeds, objective control being more important than getting kills. On the flip side, tunneling someone out of the game early greatly increases your odds of winning and generally having a less stressful game in the long run.

• Nos37Nos37 Member Posts: 2,468
    edited October 2021

A dude's trying to set a world record for smashing the most watermelons in the shortest amount of time. If he can't break the watermelon on the the first try, why does he keep hitting it 1 or 2 more times to break it instead of moving on and then coming back to it later?

Oh, and by the way, the more watermelons that are left intact, the faster the timer counts.

• hikenhiken Member Posts: 830

because it works (When the team has weak survivors to get advantage from)

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,834

You need to define what you mean by tunneling. Some people in this thread seem to think you're talking about rechasing someone you just hooked, while others think you're talking about getting into a very long chase with one survivor versus breaking off and chasing someone else. They're two entirely different types of situations.

• Redowning and rehooking someone you hooked previously is good strategy because it helps you get a kill that much sooner. Obviously you should be aware of Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike, but assuming you're cautious of avoiding those then chasing and downing someone who you hooked already is smarter than chasing and hooking one survivor, then a different survivor, then a different survivor again and so on. It's better to get one survivor out of play within 3-5 hooks then it is to get 7-8 hooks with all four survivors still alive.
    • Chasing one survivor who is very good at evading you for an extended period of time is not good strategy. Sure, you might down that survivor after 60 seconds, but in the meantime the other three survivors have completed 2 or 3 gens and are well on their way to escaping at that rate. Knowing when to accept that switching targets and going somewhere else is good strategy.
    • As a rule of thumb just standing around a hook when you know the other survivors are probably off doing gens is usually a bad play. If the survivors aren't coming to you then you should be going to them to keep the pressure up. Of course there are exceptions, if you have a survivor on the verge of dying on the hook for instance and guarding them for 10 seconds will ensure they actually die before being saved, then sticking around a bit mitigates that risk. But you should usually be pressuring survivors on as wide a front as possible, not standing around in one spot waiting for them.

Just my two cents.

• pseudechispseudechis Member Posts: 2,036

Exactly this.

Tunneling, camping, flashlight clicking, Morris, keys, none of these things are toxic in of themselves.

People overreacting, dictating how others should play and abusing others over it are what’s toxic.

It’s only a game after all.

• CleviteClevite Member Posts: 4,335

Well, at some point in life, we begin to define things for ourselves.

So, I don't give a ######### about BE or their MMR.

I play for what is fun to me and to my own definitions.

• BadLooperQBadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

Maybe the killer is playing too much against solo q survs without coordination and BT's lol.

When I play surv and the killer camps and tunnels me, not even DS and BT can Help me :( .

There's times that I Just want people to get out already but then the snowball begins

• Prex91Prex91 Member Posts: 691

Tunneling is a good idea. Tunnel out a survivor is optimal like genrush out gens. One step further to victory. You decide of you Want to risk Ds or not, simple. New players face survivor bad at looping, that will ho probably down even after DS, or drop every pallet in the game, making noed play easier, probably not cleansing dulla totems also.

• RougualRougual Member Posts: 511

As a Billy main if someone gets downed while unhooking someone its in our training manual, Chapter 1 to Always go for the saw.

If I go for a snipe and get it ill eat a DS if I want but I did get the saw.

• PigMainBigBrainPigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,809

50% because of the guy constantly going up to unhook.

• DeshDesh Member Posts: 1,118

"New Killers"? You sure you don't live under a rock? Nor is there anything toxic about tunneling unless you're constantly BMing the player when you down/hook them.

• wxnickxwwxnickxw Member Posts: 742

I don't think tunneling is the best strat I think camping has it beaten out, definitely a good strategy though either way

This post is in no way a criticism of the dbd devs and should not be taken as such. It is also not intended to point out any forum rules being violated both of which are understood to be against forum rules.