Home Dead by Daylight Forums Feedback Feedback and Suggestions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

Killer should DESTROY Boon Totems....

2»

Comments

• sizzlingmario4sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 2,949

I think you could make it so that snuffed totems are permanently destroyed and can’t be used again IF you add more totems to the map (maybe somewhere around 8 total instead of 5?). So they can still be relit, but not in the same place. And in a way it benefits survivors too because that’s more totems they can find and more places they have to choose from.

You would have to rework the numbers on some perks that rely on the number of totems remaining on the map (eg. Thrill and Small Game) but that’s fine.

• jesterkindjesterkind Member Posts: 3,765

Hopefully they'll get a repolish later on down the line- seems like they had some trouble with coding them in general so I suppose it's reasonable they'd choose that as the corner-cutting area. Still, it's pretty disappointing.

• mynameisBlademynameisBlade Member Posts: 325

Read carefully. I am not saying they will get rid of it, but I am saying that killer should be able to do more than ....snuff it out.. That is all.. Let me be as specific as possible. If enough people complain about Killers not being able to destroy/stomp the Totem... the developers will eventually make it so that Killers can destroy/stomp the Totem. I wouldn't want Boons removed. Never said I did.

I read carefully, don't worry! You said you want boons to be something killers can destroy, and I think it would be a shame to completely ruin and abandon the boon totem mechanic like that.

You wouldn't be ruining it unless you are narrow minded... The killer having no MEANINGFUL counter play is the issue. Snuffing the Totem is not MEANINGFUL counter play as it only delays the infinite reigniting of the Boon. Destroying/stomping the Totem would be MEANINGFUL counter play and does not ruin/abandon anything. Not sure ######### you are talking about..

The mechanic may be easier to play around as the killer, naturally, but it'd be abandoning the function of the boon totems. After all, they're supposed to be a safe haven continually dragging survivors away from generators- how can they be doing that if the killer can easily stomp on the two or three totems that are going to be in advantageous positions?

There's a reason killers can't break or destroy totems. It's not bad design and it's not a flaw to be fixed, it's very intentional and it's actually a good decision. If the boons need further tweaking- which they probably do- you need to look elsewhere, because being able to permanently disable the perk or any of the totems would completely ruin the point of the perk and ensure it's nothing more than a momentary annoyance.

You could say the same about HEX perks. You are dead wrong my friend. All we can do is each hold our breath and see who comes out right/wrong. Eventually Killers will be able to destroy Totems. It is not if but when so just be ready for it.

No, you couldn't say the same about Hex perks. They're designed around being disabled, and Boon perks are designed around not being disabled.

They're not the same, you can't compare balancing decisions between the two perk types.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 5,894

Survivors putting up boons are spending a lot of time screwing around. Between looking for totems and then blessing the totem, I see survivors waste a lot of time. Time doing that is time not spent on gens. The matches where survivors aren't blessing totems go so, so much faster.

Survivors finally get a second objective that they're actually doing (at least for a couple weeks before the novelty wears off), and then people want to make the perks so useless survivors won't bother to do it at all. Because if the perks are weakened, no one will use them and all survivors will have to focus on will be gens.

If you prefer survivors have nothing else to do other that rush through gens, just say so.

You CAN actually. People just choose not to. You are not going to change my mind. I appreciate the effort though. Apparently you are outnumbered even in just this one thread so.. Idk what to tell you. Just makes more sense to have them be destructible for killer.

Like I said way up at the top. Make the timer however short you want it to be as long as killers can stomp it. All timers/stats can be changed to whatever they need to be as long as killer can stomp/destroy them just like survivors can get rid of a HEX.

Alright, fair point, you CAN say the same about Hex perks and you CAN compare them. You'd just be completely wrong and showcasing a lack of understanding of how game design and balance works, if you chose to do so.

It makes zero sense for them to be destructible if you actually understand the mechanic.

We all have opinions. Mine is mine. Yours is yours. Thought that was evident. Some people still have to be reminded I guess.

Well, of course. It is evident, but the point of airing those opinions in public is to have others comment and converse about them, isn't it?

To an extent for me. Was just assuming most would agree as it is pretty blatantly obvious that the Boons should be able to be destroyed. xD I tend to forget how Survivor sided the community/devs are until stuff like this comes out of course.

Unfortunately for that assumption, it's actually blatantly obvious that they shouldn't be able to be destroyed. It's not a question of bias- it's just basic understanding of how the mechanic works and what it's trying to achieve.

For what it's worth, I play killer exclusively. No survivor bias here.

Checked off the list. I was waiting for that "I only play killer" sentence. There it was finally. Got to have that "How is it that I play killer only and still disagree with you" person in each thread like this. Ugh.

Hey, I'm not using it as leverage. Just answering your assertion that it's survivor bias.

Almost like we can disagree without it being an "us vs them" factional thing, huh?

Nah. Just typical of people on these forums. Anyway my opinion stands. I just want it to be looked into. No sense in trying to shoot down every single thing I put forward other than to aimlessly debate.

Being looked into is reasonable- only part I'm shooting down is the part that obviously wouldn't work.

I agree with you on the lacklustre animation, for what it's worth.

I appreciate it. :D I just can't agree with the idea of "this/that can't work" toward anything. Very pessimistic view on any subject material, because obviously anything CAN work. The minds perceiving it though? That is a different question.

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 4,301
    edited October 2021

You dont need to add more totems, you just need to make the five totems you get more effective.

Not having a deafening crack of thunder when a totem is blessed would go a long way towards getting more value out of them, as the killer wouldn't know you've set up a boon until you actually use it.

• Yogerman1997Yogerman1997 Member Posts: 350
    edited October 2021

Killers should be able to Hex & Destroy totems

Survivors only should be able to Boon & Snuff totems

Fixed.

Post edited by Yogerman1997 on
  • Voodoo101Voodoo101 Member Posts: 237

Always wondered how survivors can kill killer totems, but a killer can only snuff it out and they it can be reused. If thats the case make them all the same.

• YOURFRIENDYOURFRIEND Member Posts: 2,073

Unless the killer is destroying every totem on the map, the safe zone will still be available. It just may not be in the survivors first area of preference. That's fine.

It's cute how you try to paint a single survivor granting their team an additional two-four perks as dragging anyone off a gen. The other survivors are progressing the game while the blessing is occuring. The time lost is inconsequential and refunded if you use the perk a single time.

• realflashbossrealflashboss Member Posts: 276

Every rework of the totems, limits them to the point of being pointless. I dont get ######### youre crying about 90% of all my survivor games even with boon totems result in 3 (or more usually 4k deaths). If boon totems are so strong and you cant cope its because you need to up your game or change your strategy as plenty killers ive gone against play the same as always and just fine... (play as 3 or 4 man all with 1.5k+ hours if that counts for anything).

Snuffing out a totem takes 2 seconds and literally wastes so much time having to go and relight it - this if anything has wasted more time and resulted in losses because the game is slowed down so much. You have eyes and ears.... use them... the totems in most parts of most maps are annyoing at best but often useless when theres no decent cover for shadowstep and blessing a hex takes so long i would suggest avoiding doing it.

Killers stomping a totem in 2 seconds is a decent trade off for a survivor having to run across the map and spend much longer blessing the same totem... honestly its not even worth it!

If killers could remove totems from the game then on average the survivors will get to bless 1 totem each , with 1 left IF they can even find it... if that changs happens i can guarantee you nobody is gonna run boons anymore because theyre weak and useless. Theyre already situational as they are and the ONLY thing making them worth running is the fact you can rebless them.

All killer hex's require no time wasted looking for totems, or time wasted setting them up. They also waste the survivors time looking for them and destroying them. The value from the killers hex is always passive value from them progressing the game and completing their objective-

ruin- chase off a gen, blood favour - hit a survivor, crowd control- chase a survivor, retribution- survivor doing totems not gens, haunted ground- survivor doing totems not gens.

The boons require the survivor to WASTE time to find and setup whilst no progression is being made in the game.

True theres 4 survivors but if all 4 are looking for totems to bless thats 4 doing nothing. Either way the game is not progressing and time is massively being wasted.

I genuinly dont think theyre broken at all, and in trying to use them ive found theyve wasted so much time that theyre more of a detriment- especially if ive gone out of my way to find a totem to bless that isnt useless.

• That_One_FriendThat_One_Friend Member Posts: 104

Maybe have totems have 'uses'.

For example, every totem has 3 uses, or charges. Each time a killer snuffs a Totem, the totem loses 1 charge. When the killer stompes the totem for the 3rd time, have to totem disappear for say 120 seconds then reappear, or have it not return at all. Just a thought.

• Prex91Prex91 Member Posts: 749

Yes, because no sense dull will not became noed when remove the bless.