Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

How to escape Elo hell as a solo survivor?

JunylarJunylar Member Posts: 1,258

I mean, is it even possible now? With the escape based matchmaking every time you die - your MMR drops. Starting with a certain point you will get survivors which will make it impossible for you to escape without the hatch (which doesn't give you much MMR anyway). And with every new death caused by potato teammates your MMR will go even lower and you will die more, walking the vicious cycle. So how can you escape this hell? Can you do anything, or is your account done after dying too many times in a row?

Comments

• ggallinftwggallinftw Member Posts: 338

You're only chance of escaping is to party up with competent teammates until the devs decide to either create a SBMM system or revert back to the emblem system. As long as we have EBMM your only options are to party up or rot in ELO heck.

• BeaburdBeaburd Member Posts: 815

No joke, I think the best way to learn this game and climb is to use information perks almost exclusively.

Toss away exhaustion perks, remove DS, and get rid of anything else that helps you in a chase. Replace them with Bond, Open-Handed, Kindred, and Prove Thyself or Small Game and play like that for awhile. I guarantee you'll notice that you don't need to be running for saves often at all because someone else will, or that running into certain areas can be game-throwing. This will in turn will raise your chances of survival since you'll be making correct and efficient decisions more often.

I promise you, you'll become more aware of your surroundings, become more reliant on map assets to survive, and learn how to be more efficient overall as you play. Once you get that down, swap out to whatever build you like. The new skills you'll have that revolve core concepts and mechanics will make the stronger survivor perks even stronger to use.

---

And if you think you're already good enough that this strategy won't work for you, then that's wonderful. But then this post would be meaningless since you should be surviving more than half of your games quite easily if you're actually that decent at the role.

• JohnWeakJohnWeak Member Posts: 854
    edited October 2021

Wrong.

To rise up you need to have 3 escapes in the trial.

If you have one or two potatoes in every game you play, you will loose 80% of your games, even if you are an awesome player.

Why ? Because DbD is not a game where you can clutch thanks to your skill :

• you can run with the killer for 7 minutes, if the reste of the team don't do gens then you loose
    • you can do gens, if the rest of the team can't stay in a chase more than 20 seconds, you will loose
    • you can protect your teammates, if they don't do gens, you loose

SBMM system is pretty bad actually, not evaluating your skill level but evaluating how the survivor team, as a whole, performed, the global trial outcome determining the MMR gain/loss.

It's then impossible to win any trial if there is a weak link in the team. It's true at every MMR level as now, in high MMR, there are a ton of really terrible survivors.

BHVR had a perfect emblem system that just needed some tweaks to determine the globale individual performance in a trial. Take the old system, determine a rule with emblems and attribute a MMR win/loss depending of your individual performance.

• JunylarJunylar Member Posts: 1,258

Please, explain, how can I survive most of my trials if I'm the only one in the team doing gens and all my teammates die after 2 seconds of chase? Even if I loop for infinite time, I'm not going out if there is no one else doing gens. And I won't be able to do all 5 gens without being desturbed either, since the killer will eventually get to me after he is done with all other survivors (often in about a minute or less)

• NayruNayru Member Posts: 569

you're in the mmr my friends constantly drag me down into (and get me killed in wew) only you don't have friends that are rapidly getting better at the game? good luck, and yes one person getting hooked 30 sec into the match --> nobody's on gens --> game over, i know exactly what you're referring to lol

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 2,344

Hatch and key offering, wait it out. That’s what I use every solo match on DbD Mobile (hatch and key nerfs aren’t live yet on mobile).

90% of matches are people going down in roughly 10 seconds from healthy, hiding, doing anything but gens. It apparently prioritizes just matching people as fast as possible with no rank involvement.

• NayruNayru Member Posts: 569

your mmr doesn't change via hatch so all you're doing is stonewalling yourself

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 2,344

Mobile still uses old ranking system. How half of those teammates are anything above green rank is beyond me. Of course there’s no way to know.

• WeenieDogWeenieDog Member Posts: 1,472
    edited October 2021

Play with a swf so you can pick your teammates or make sure (easier said than done) to die last so the penalty buffer minimizes how much you lose.

• SluzzySluzzy Member Posts: 2,337

No. The game is broken for those playing solo. If you'll notice, only really good practiced coordinated SWF teams can increase their MMR. The game is extremely broken in favor of killers.

I actually tried playing a killer earlier and waited 10 minutes and gave up. Survivors need a lot of buffs so the game is fair.

• wxnickxwwxnickxw Member Posts: 742

Why don't any solo players even consider sending friend requests to anybody that they play with that isn't xomplete garbage. Eventually you will have a list of people large enough that you will have one or two people to play woth anytime you want to play dbd

• HectorBrandoHectorBrando Member Posts: 1,758

I have around 1000 hours of Solo playing, here are some tips from someone who has seen EVERYTHING.

First and foremost, stealth is not as bad as people parrot, the first line of defense is not getting caught, let the more attention seeking Survivors be the ones to be caught first. Try to stay stealthy the first ~20/30 seconds, until the Killer starts chasing someone, this doesnt mean going to the edge and crouch while doing nothing, it means not leaving scratch marks, not going towards the centre of the map or open areas where you could be easily be seen and never start fixing a gen the very moment you load because it may be the first one to be patrolled and if the Killer sees a gen that has been worked he may patrol the zone and spot you.

You have to be egotistical to a degree, equip perks that benefit you as Solo like DH/SB/DS/IW/SP etc, others like BT, We'll Make It are supergood but they are geared toward teamwork and while thats great in Solo you may get paired with someone unwilling to tank a hit with BT for you etc.

Letting people die on the hook is a no... unless there is 1 gen left and you are confident you can fix it before the Killer catches you, even if the person hooked has to die to power the gates.

Identify what the Killer is using, you can usually guess the most used perks just by seeing how he plays and play around them for example for some reason he always catches the gen being worked on by 2 or more? he has discordance, avoid working as team on gens, let the others trigger it while you work solo, he always comes back after you gentap? he has Surveillance, tap and hide several times to make him give up, Killer downs someone and refuses to hook during EGC? Bloodwarden alert, EXIT TRIAL ASAP, gen at 70% and Spine Chill activates for more than 3 seconds? Tinkerer, work up to 75% and hide, let him kick, return to work, Killer sucks? NOED is probably ingame so go stealth when there is 1 gen left.

If you dont have all totem spots memorized bring a detection perk for them, Solos may get the Ruin or DH at the first 30 seconds or dont give a crap about it the entire game, sometimes you will have to be the one cleansing hexes because nobody else will do it and they are direct interference on your odds of survival.

TL/DR as Solo not getting caught first or second is the first rule to surviving the trial, the second is dont be overaltruistic.

• KurriKurri Member Posts: 777

do bones

• BeaburdBeaburd Member Posts: 815

Some games you don't, and you won't.

The important thing is playing consistently well enough that you survive most games, and win most of your games. And the best way to improve your consistency is improving on your decision making and ability to play around map assets. Perks, items, and everything else are just powerful performance amplifiers. If you can't win consistently with them, that might mean your core mechanics and/or your decision making skills are lacking.

Even 4 man SWF depip squads will have someone die, or even lose a game on rare occasions. Which is a great way to show that regardless of who you are, you won't win 'em all, and you should simply just try to win as many as you can.