Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Is this SBMMR final?

MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,011

Is there any plans to rework current SBMMR?

We had months and months of tests, different phases, and somehow I feel like it's even worse than it was during the last few tests?

Idk how it is going for everyone else, but as a solo survivor with almost 5k hours, I keep getting people with not even 50 hours in my team. This isn't normal at all. Just now I had a dwight with 9 hours who let everyone die on hook.

And of course, if SBMMR is based on time in a match, and solos keep getting left to die on hook, how are we supposed to even get a higher MMR score? Are we all doomed to just keep getting potatoes on our team for the end of time?

Or should we all just start playing SWF?

Comments

• JPAJPA Member Posts: 1,685

"And of course, if SBMMR is based on time in a match, and solos keep getting left to die on hook, how are we supposed to even get a higher MMR score? Are we all doomed to just keep getting potatoes on our team for the end of time?"

Don't forget the Killer also has an MMR, so if your MMR drops, you'll play low MMR Killers. You will hopefully beat them, and then your MMR rises a bit.

The thing is, however good the matchmaking system is, it still has to work with the data it is given, i.e. the players who are actually available. You must realise that players with your amount of hours are more rare than the players who have hours in the 100s or even 10s range.

Therefore, in order to find 3 other players for you to play with, it is simply going to have to match you with inferior players, because you are superior to probably 90% of players.

Either that, or it is going to make you (and the other skilled players) wait longer. Maybe you'd prefer a 20 minute wait for a quality game, but I'm not sure if everyone feels that way, thus we have to make the sacrifice for getting ANY player, rather than getting good players fast.

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 3,105

I sincerely hope it's not finalized. As a survivor, I'm now punished for playing a good game but then going back to try and rescue other teammates at the end, and survivor in particular is prone to falling into a spiral of bad MMR that feeds itself.

I would have rather had the old matchmaking system than this. This one is failing to place me with players of my own skill on both ends. Sure, I'm not an especially skilled player on either front, but I have basic competence, understand what I'm supposed to do, know how to take advantage of different situations in the game, and know a handful of tricks for looping and counterlooping. Now that my MMR has settled - killer always places me with baby survivors because I play nice (which is something I could rectify by ceasing to be nice, but the previous system let me play nice and placed me with skilled survivors, so obviously I prefer that) and survivor frequently sticks me with teammates that rarely do their objectives - a self-feeding cycle when those matches are a guaranteed MMR-down and I only have a shot at escaping when I have teammates that will use the time I buy them.

Current MMR seems to have zero nuance to how it generates your placement. It doesn't matter if you played like a god and went down heroically enabling the rest of your team to escape, or if you 2-hook all of the survivors and spend the rest of the game playing with them in the chapel carnival - you're rated the same as if you died on hook two minutes into the game or if you spent the whole game fruitlessly chasing one survivor and getting teabagged at the gates. Emblems aren't perfect, but they at least have gradations. And I get the feeling that the idea behind MMR's simplicity is that 'losing' is supposed to push you towards having easier games, enabling you to climb back up, but that is plainly not how it works with the bottom half of survivor matches.

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 3,105
    edited October 2021

While this is true, there's a reason that the game was always considered killer-sided at the bottom ranks and survivor at the highest. A bad killer can still easily kill bad survivors because there is essentially no time limit when objectives don't progress.

You can have a confused killer that you can run with ease, but if your teammates are crouching around the corners of the map being scared, or run from generators at the hint of a terror radius and won't come back for another minute, you somehow need to loop the killer endlessly and complete 4-5 gens on your own. It's usually not quite this bad, but I've found that solo queue gives me one or two deadweight teammates every match, and the portion of survivors that are actually progressing the objectives is slimmer as a result, which gives the killer a big advantage. At first I was getting mainly good survivor games, but I blew a lot of them by refusing to leave when someone else needed an assist or an unhook and things just got worse from there.

It's not up to an individual survivor to win a match. They contribute, but they're only a quarter of the team's success and they're not built to carry the whole game on their shoulders. Previously you could still safety or pip up by performing well in a doomed game, but now it's an unequivocal loss and the only safety pip condition is getting hatch.

Yeah I'm definitely aware of the woes of solo Q, I play survivor often, and my friends stopped playing this game (I wonder why lol)

My point is though even if they had a cutting edge skill based match making system, coded by the gods, it is still going to fall short because of the distribution of player skills.

Always makes me laugh when someone with 5K hours says why can't you match me with 3 other 5K hours players.

Firstly: You are a rarity and most other people don't play the game as much as you

Secondly: Even if there was a pool of 5K hour players to use, the match would be boring, as 4 5K hour survivors are ALMOST ALWAYS going to destroy even a good Killer, just because the game is broken.

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,011

Well it doesn't make me laugh getting matched with people who cant even hit skill checks or know that they need to go for the save, even when I always use kindred on my build.

Yeah that is annoying, I agree. I guess one could argue, if you can't get me three 5K hour players, maybe get me people who have a few hundred hours, but again it's probably an issue with player availability.

Do you ever play late? In my timezone (GMT), I find high calibre survivors at that time.

• Another_LegionMainAnother_LegionMain Member Posts: 382

As a SoloQ PS4 player, it is hard to guess the hours of my teammates but for god's sake run BT, it's in the Shrine! I bring BT and Kindred to help SWF's who get put with me and they let me die or some random Claudette lets everyone hit stage 2 when they have 0 hooks on them!

We need a mode without MMR.... At first it was ok, but now?

• getuy45u4iugetuy45u4iu Member Posts: 93

Probably everyone is expected to have around 50% win rate, so if a good solo player is winning a lot, they will be given worst possible conditions (teammates, maps, opponents) to bring them to the desired win rate.

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,011

In the EU, I play during the day, instant Q times. At night I have to wait like 10 mins to get a match and the result in team mates is basically the same if not even worse.

• Rogue11Rogue11 Member Posts: 619

Yep, mmr feels horrible on both sides.

BT isn't always in the shrine so this is a temporary fix unfortunately. Blame the design of the game for making gameplay mechanics perks. BT should probably be basekit tbh

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

I feel it's more related to the time you play on. If you're playing too late chances are MMR will probably tone down the criteria just so you don't get infinite queues. If I play at early night (18 to 22pm here) I get very competent teammates, any other time it's a mixed bag.

• KerJuiceKerJuice Member Posts: 1,179

Yes, that ######### is here to stay and isn’t going anywhere, any time soon- unfortunately. At best, we will get “tweaks.”

• DragonMasterDarrenDragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,021

Lord Almighty I hope it isn’t, not even counting the issues actually stable and competitive games had and continue to have with MMR, DBD is simply not balanced enough nor stable enough for a system like MMR

• Khelendrose2020Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 113

Low MMR killers tend to jave more new players, and camp/tunnel much more. I found getting stuck as a good player with low MMR killers and teammates is significantly harder to overcome.

I ran a match last week where I ran the killer for over 4 minutes. I had a quest that required 3 minutes and did it all in that match. I finally go down. 1 gen was done in 4 minutes. I got face camped to death and watched as the killer then got 2 more hiding in corners before the last got hatch.......

Four minutes is ridiculous. Anything over 1 minute is a very long chase. It might sound counter intuitive, but it might actually help you to go down once in a while. If you are playing someone who is obviously many levels below you, to the point were you can loop them for four minutes, I can't really blame them for not wanting you to get unhooked. Maybe throw a chase once in a while if you detect that the Killer is underlevelled?

I dunno, might sound crazy, but when I'm playing Killer, if I detect the survivors are not competent, I take my foot off the pedal.

• Khelendrose2020Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 113

I've tried that. Then they chewed through 10 second chases. I eventually worked my out of it, but had to duo with a friend.

Yeah I dunno what to say. It seems SWF is getting worse, and then on the opposite extreme Solo's is as bad as ever. Think imma uninstall tbh lol

• ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 4,462

That is called mmr hell.

To survive, you need your team. If your team sucks then you won't get gens done since nobody at low ranks does gens. Hatch doesn't increase mmr and getting out the exit is almost impossible creating a never ending spiral down.