Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

~6 months later and Trickster is still an awful Killer.

2»

Comments

• ShadowIceShadowIce Member Posts: 181

I like trickster

• VampwireVampwire Member Posts: 528

Trickster is fundamentally flawed. He's actually a lot like old Legion in terms of not working within the games mechanics. His whole power is about hitting combos. In a game with a 2 state health system. The fact that the laceration just decays over time is also pretty detrimental but essential to keep him from being a tunnel machine. If you use him like old pyramid head and just hit survivors during animations then you will kill them eventually. But that's why Trickster sucks. He's not fun for either side. At some point the survivor is going to go down, but when? Using your power at anything other than a low wall loop takes either longer or the same time as it would just running around and getting an M1. Looping Trickster isn't hard but it's also really boring. You wait until he's done with his knife barrage and then he's just a 110 with no power again.

I really think BHVR just wanted to push out a K-pop killer for traction. After all K-pop is one of the biggest industries rn. His lore sucks. His power sucks. He does have some good aesthetics though. Sadly his fashion is his only redeeming quality. His power seems really uninspired and trying to implement it into dbd only made it come out awkward.

• Ok so usually this depends on where the survivor is and if they're injured. I don't go on long chases with Trickster because it's not beneficial for me, even as a ranged killer. I don't do very many long range knife throws either, because they can just strafe away from them. The same goes for survivors who hug obstacles. That should be an easy M1 if they're not using pallets. Basically you have to judge when it's best to throw knives, when to M1, and when to drop a chase

• FrostySealFrostySeal Member Posts: 506

The issue with dropping chase is that Trickster is an awful Killer when it comes to that. Atleast with Legion you can force them to mend and quickly find other survivors, but as Trickster you have no map mobility and no information gathering ability with no natural slowdown either. This means that abandoning a chase with Trickster is going to waste a ton of his time and unless you can make that up by quickly downing the next survivor you find, you'll have lost so much time you won't be able to come back easily from it.

• Another_LegionMainAnother_LegionMain Member Posts: 385

When you fire Slingers gun, he has no recoil. Trickster gets recoil from throwing 3 knives.

• Abandoning chase isn't a bad thing for Trickster at all. It means you'll find them another time in a more compromising spot. Basically resetting yourself so you don't waste your time on a bad chase. I've found more luck with that than I have arbitrarily chasing each and every survivor until they're down.

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,494

dont worry!

they fixed the issue of Trickster just being a worse Slinger with trainingwheels simply by gutting Slinger so hard that this no longer applies :D

• PredatedPredated Member Posts: 2,606

Except, that's wrong, because where trickster can get a single knife in, huntress needs to load a hatchet before she can throw it, let alone that trickster can hit knives through gaps huntress could only wish she could hit. Trickster doesnt really get destroyed by high wall loops any more than huntress(again, plenty of times huntress cant get a hit where Trickster can, perhaps not enough to gain 1 healthstate over huntress, but still plenty).

The issue a lot of players have who cant really play Trickster, is that they pull out knives far too early. Trickster has a built-in mechanic that is quite fearsome for SWF's: the more people nearby, the easier it is for Trickster to get kills. He's even better than Bubba at punishing survivors who want to tank hits, because survivors can split up against a Bubba who revs where splitting up is only a minor inconvenience for Trickster.

Add there that Trickster is also very good at securing a kill when he needs one.

Trickster is terrible when compared to Nurse, sure, but 70% of the killers are terrible compared to Nurse. If you look at public games, Trickster is quite effective. His biggest counter is people with 0 hookstates tanking hits for teammates who already do have hookstates. Anywhere else, and he is fine right now. The reason why Trickster was almost as low with average kills as a Nurse, was simply because those statistics included Trickster before the changes.

• AvilgusAvilgus Member Posts: 1,216

Trickster is just fan-service killer, with an uninspired, no brain and spammy power.

• PredatedPredated Member Posts: 2,606

You do realize that those statistics include quite a lot of data before Tricksters buff(almost an entire month)? Let alone that Trickster is a kind of killer that needs skill to utilize his power(aka, you cant just start playing Trickster and do well, it's why Plague and Huntress are also so low even though they are solid killers).

Trickster isnt a bad killer, he needs a lot of skill to operate. You can consider that both a good and bad thing, but against a good trickster, you will face hell, against a bad trickster, you just need to walk around a tree.

• Tricksters_WifeTricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

I personally think Trickster is as balanced as he's going to be at the moment. I don't really have too many complaints with him anymore, but this is my killer sided opinion. It's hard to give my survivor sided opinion — because 98% of Tricksters I go up against are nice to me. I've only seriously played against 1-2 Tricksters who either didn't know how to be nice or didn't want to. Easy to loop in those situations — but that's given I understand exactly how he works.

In the situations that me and a Trickster are being friendly to one another, most of the time he completely shreds the rest of the survivors. Is it because there's one survivor (me) that's building a collection of items for the Trickster in killer shack and not really helping except for getting unhooks? Maybe.

I agree 100% with @Vampwire though. "I really think BHVR just wanted to push out a K-pop killer for traction. After all K-pop is one of the biggest industries rn.". I still ended up loving him though (even though I know little to nothing about kpop), so I guess the ploy worked in some ways.

• Nathan13Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,066
  • Nathan13Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,066

I don't like that his blades got reduced to 44. That needs to be reverted back to 60.

• Seth__Seth__ Member Posts: 1,445

Last Trickster buff was in 5.1.1 released on August 10 2021. DbD from the last released stats are between July and September, so there's a whole month and ~3 weeks that was still tracked for the kill-rate on him.

Considering they tracked from every single player in the game, all platforms, all in one bucket... I would expect a little better performance. To even quote the devs from the 5.1.1 patch note

You say Trickster is not bad, yet before the last patch he was really bad (community feedback + dev feedback), he was/is still bad even after the update as the tracked data still has that time period (August - September).

• XayrlenXayrlen Member Posts: 329

Did you expect more from a k-pop?

• 28STABWOUNDS28STABWOUNDS Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2021

He requires such precise aim that you might as well play a real FPS game.

Trickster can only be good on PC. How does his recoil appeal to console players at all?

• ThatOneDemoPlayerThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 4,914

Trickster almost definetly gets destroyed by high wall loops. If you lose line of sight against a good Survivor, their laceration is gone and you can't do anything about it because you're 110% and can't catch up quick enough

• ThatOneDemoPlayerThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 4,914

It wasn't a Trickster buff, it was a nerf. It might have made his 1v1 scarier, but this still decent at best while they nerfed his 4v1 by reducing the time Laceration needs to get removed and his knife count

• OldHunterLightOldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,000

And you think I'm not high mmr then? You can tell if you are high mmr if you find cheaters really often which is another topic ofc but honestly trickster is far away from being bad

• OscarnatorOscarnator Member Posts: 267

I don’t I’ve seen ANYONE say he’s OP just really unfun. He chucks 1000 knives at you and you just W key not much counterplay like the huntress hatchet