Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Small PSA to the general populace in regards to killer power level

Main statement. Every single killer (Yes Nurse, yes Blight, yes Spirit) needs buffs. Every. Single. One.

Now, before all of you freak out at me, look first at the reasoning behind this.

It's VERY common knowledge that as the MMR goes up, the game goes more and more to the survivor favored in terms of gameplay. At potato mmr the killer wins (ironically Nurse at potato mmr is actually the worst killer in the game), as the MMR starts to balance out the game fluctuates to even. At the absolute highest of MMR (that is, 4 man swfs, tournament play) the game balance fluctuates SO far to survivors that the literal best killer players in the world get maybe 2 hooks with one kill while running NOED and camping for their last kill, even as Nurse.

In an ideal world you'd have something in the middle, which this game does not have. If you look at the overall killer power level in the game. Nurse, the best killer in this game, at the highest level of the game, can only manage to kill one survivor out of 4, with NOED and camping. Legion obviously couldn't down a good survivor by the time 5 gens popped against a 4 man swf with actual skill and map knowledge.

We can't balance the game around the top tier as much as I would like to, that would alienate the lower skilled playerbase. However it must be shown that as survivors get better, which in theory, every single player who plays the game gets better over time, killers get worse. Killers remain static in power and go down in power as you understand more and more how the killer works.

When the best players in the world on X killer (which killer is irrelevant) cannot manage to even "tie" the game (tie in this sense is two kills two escapes), its very simple to assume that the killer powerlevel at EVEN MMR is drastically low.

TL;DR Killers, once you reach a certain MMR are ALL terrible, Nurse and Blight included. Once survivors reach X number of knowledge in a game, every single killer in the game becomes bad. Any other PvP game would have seen every single killer in this game buffed LONG ago.

Let the hate flow now :D

Comments

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 13,230

I disagree.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 5,571

You are not encountering competitive/tournament level play in a public match setting. You might run into comp players, but I'd almost guarantee they're not sweating it too hard. The game speed and coordination in a public match doesn't approach comp. Gens can be similar speed due to BNPs, but everything else in a public match is slow and sloppy (saves, heals, etc.).

That out of the way, I haven't really run into too many viability issues. MMR is too janky. If you do happen to get a decent 4 man, you'll need a solid killer, but very few matches have felt unwinnable since MMR went live. I'm still getting a 3 or 4k in 90% of matches and I play pretty much every killer.

Most killers I run into at higher MMR might have good mechanical skills but lack in the soft skills/game sense department. Their patrols make no sense (or they're just unga bunga BBQ/Tinkerer chasing). They take poor chases to areas they shouldn't chase. They rely on tracking perks. The list goes on. It's really important to have a lot of awareness and decision-making when survivors are going to out-perk you every game.

• FuzzelsFuzzels Member Posts: 449

If you're getting bad killers at "high mmr" maybe you're not actually at high mmr.. food for thought, yeah?

• FrostySealFrostySeal Member Posts: 506
    edited November 2021

Nah, obviously some Killers need buffs but Nurse and Blight? No way in hell. I've been a Blight main since the PTB and despite the fact that I win every single game I play with him, instead of encountering a ceiling where I start to lose and my MMR starts to balance out it just keeps going up and up and up. I'm not even using a full meta build either, just shadow-born, pop, deadlocked, and tinkerer alongside with at least one speed addon. He's completely fine where he is, an added buff to him would completely break his balance and turn him into an old spirit 2.0 with no counterplay. The Nurse needs to get her bugs fixed and some of her useless addons changed, other than that she does not need any buff because otherwise, the already really good Nurse players will once again be borderline unbeatable unless you're in a comp team. Spirit is fine where she is now, she doesn't need a buff.

Edit: Also forgot to mention but this game was very obviously not meant to be balanced around the extremely high MMR range and the developers already made it very clear that they do not want to balance around this level because at its core DBD is a "party" game. Not only would needing to buff every single Killer to above Nurse's level take an extraordinarily long amount of time but it would also push people away from the game because it would turn into a much more competitive game, not to mention would require a bunch of other changes to the game (Like having to enable voice chat so solo Q players don't suffer more than they already are and having to make every single map static because RNG on maps is incredibly unbalanced).

Most people from what I've seen are just casual players of DBD and turning the game into a competitive sweat fest like LoL or Overwatch would push them away from the game leading to fewer players playing DBD, leading to long queues, leading to the small portion of people still playing DBD getting fed up and leaving the game, which would eventually lead to the game dying. Now just because I said all this stuff doesn't mean I'm not saying that Killer's don't need a buff, some Killers like Trickster seriously need changes, but buffing every single Killer to above Nurses level? That's way too overkill.

• CrowmanCrowman Member Posts: 4,805

You can absolutely make changes that affect different skill levels since not everything is equally strong at all skill levels.

For example, BHVR could nerf sabotage which would basically not affect solo or low skill survivor players.

BHVR can and should make changes to make all skill levels fair, but they currently do not.

• ThiccBudhhaThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,441
  • CrowmanCrowman Member Posts: 4,805

I wasn't suggesting that they actually nerf sabotage. I think sabotage is in a fine spot right now.

• VerconisspVerconissp Member Posts: 1,467

Game has always been survivor sided..

Which is why they can have upwards to 16 perks, including abusing 4 ds / unbreak,

It's very pathetic, and it needs a major nerf to not multi-stack perks like this,

• lauraalauraa Member Posts: 2,702

Before we buff killers, let's buff base survivor. Implement opt in voice chat, ping system, base kit kindred etc.

This way, killers such as Pinhead and Plague can be managed a little better with basic communication

Then let's buff killer accordingly

• El_GingeroEl_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

Technically you’re right in the sense that at the highest level, even Nurse is outclassed by survivors, however the game can’t just be balanced around the highest level. Buffing an S tier killer to make them more compete effectively at the highest level can make them too strong for everyone else. Etc.

That being said, the majority of killers are weak and do need to be buffed. It’s ridiculous that out of 25 killers, only 2 or 3 at best can consistently compete at the highest level of play. Any other game would be embarrassed by such numbers, but DBD isn’t any other game.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 12,594

Depends, I would say. If you are winning a lot more than you are losing, then you are probably in high MMR. If you are winning a handful of times and then losing a handful of times back and forth, you are probably only winning in the low MMR matches.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 6,234

I've found myself, as a bad, 200 hour-ish killer, matched against 3000 hour sweatsquads.

Sometimes MMR is borked.

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 9,978

Tell me how a killer that ignores all survivor defences needs a buff