Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

That the SBMM is based on kills and escapes is very good

PNgamerPNgamer Member Posts: 1,095

hey folks,

To develop another system (like the current one) would take much more time. Now imagine if the developers calculated the MMR differently. Then there would be only farm rounds to achieve a higher MMR or ? and that would definitely be a pure disaster for Dead by Daylight.

BHVR has made the right decision here

Did BHVR make the right decision to tell us what the win condition is ? I don't think so. They should have kept it secret, because that might have ensured that players would have stayed true to their playstyle.

Should the developers release the secret number ? Definitely NO, cause of Toxic City.

That is only my opinion. What is your opinion about it ? Let´s discuss

greeting

Comments

• DehitayDehitay Member Posts: 1,723

Where did they say that the mmr is based on kills and escapes? Logically, I would assume it's based on the emblem system.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,873

It’s slightly more complicated. The order of when someone gets killed and how long the match takes apparently also impacts how much someone gains or loses in the hidden rating. That’s because once two survivors are dead it becomes much more likely for another survivor to die, for instance, so they don’t adjust downward or upward as much on the third kill as the second. Likewise a really quick 4k or 4 escape makes the ratings go up or down more than a longer match.

But otherwise, yeah, kills and escapes are presumably the most important factors. If survivor is killed their rating goes down and the killer’s goes up, if they escape vice versa. How much it goes up or down depends a bit on the details.

• R2kR2k Member Posts: 1,069

He didn't ask about numbers, he ask if kills matter. And kills/escape are only way to rise your mmr.

Right, I was just replying to your comment that it “doesn’t matter what happens in between”.

• R2kR2k Member Posts: 1,069

I'm still not sure it does. When devs or mods gave an example, they didn't mention game length.

• TheMadCatTheMadCat Member Posts: 1,913

But what makes someone a good Killer then? Because I feel if a player is able to slug four other players before a single generator was repaired, it means they are super good at ending chases... or the Survivors were super bad.

It wasn’t mentioned directly by the devs, there were some other posts about it though such as one from Scott Jund where people examined the underlying mechanics.

• DangerScouseDangerScouse Member Posts: 933

So the killer needs 2 kills to "be on par", with no up or down movement by this logic. Did I understand correctly?

• Dennis_van_eijkDennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,510

Well you opened the door when you said name any game that doesn't doesn't show the ranking number 😂

I know 1 game we all know, and that is dbd 😜😂

That is if you mean the MMR añd not the grades tho, as grades are useless now.

On your comment on that dbd isn't competitive.

When playing dbd you get match with people of the same ranking (i mean the mmr here which they don't show), which already makes it competitive.

Another fact that dbd is competitive.

When you place 2 teams against each other, you create a competition.

Don't get me wrong here as you can disagree all you want, but that is the truth.

No matter how you look at it, 2 teams competing against each other is a competition.

And that makes dbd a competitive game, even if you play it casual it's still remains a competition 😉

More or less yeah, 2 kills and 2 escapes would mean your rating doesn’t change too much. It would change a little, though, simply because the amount the killer goes up or down for each survivor depends on their relative ratings to each other. If you kill a higher rated survivor your rating goes up more than if you kill a lower rated survivor, and vice versa for escapes. So between that and timing possibly influencing it as well means your rating will still probably change slightly one way or another on a 2 kill match depending on the exact ratings and details.

• Seth__Seth__ Member Posts: 1,224

People keep saying DbD is not competitive just like it's something bad when people compete against each other, even though I can bet... even them play competitively.

It's weird to me, a lot of big names make fun of the "competitive" scene of Dead by Daylight that can include various of topic like "DbD is not competitive" "Imagine playing seriously", but at the same time, a lot of those that say so, do play competitively.

The game itself can be built originally for casual players, but it's a PvP game and there will be competition at some point, and after 5 years of DbD... we can say there is a lot. It's the mindset

?.?

• KurriKurri Member Posts: 1,601
    edited November 2021

But if those 2 kills were on survivors of higher mmr with you, then your mmr goes up, if either were significantly higher then you, then your mmr goes up. If the only kill you get in a match is a survivor with significantly higher mmr than you - your mmr will go up. If the survivor escapes/dies is close to mmr with you there isn't much of a change, and if the survivor who escapes/dies is lower mmr than you you're mmr will go down.

In most cases for Killers if you get at least 1-2 sacrifices your mmr will go up.

In most cases for Survivor your mmr will remain in the center unless you mostly play in swf's where you escape back to back 10-20 times. Because players tend to die a lot when playing solo.

So Killers normally gain mmr, solo survivors will normally stay the same or go down in mmr, and swf will normally gain mmr.

This is assuming average to good players. It's a terrible system.

• EntitySpawnEntitySpawn Member Posts: 3,196

Escapes and kills mean nothing. Old ranking was better, just had to move us further back each reset.

Going from rank 4 to 5 for is silly, no wonder everyone got red ranks lol

• Seth__Seth__ Member Posts: 1,224
    edited November 2021

Seems like you decided to repair 2 gens, heal 3 survivor, get 3 pallet stuns and lose the killer twice, however.... you did all that ignoring the totems. You always anticipate all kind of perks in your game, NOED is a popular one.

That Blendette actually played smart, she abused your efficiency to survive... and you let her. You did play practically good and she played smart, good decision making. She played very safe in order to survive, because you know... you can sometime abuse your team for your own success... then at the end, leave everyone.

Why should that Blendette care for your survival, or to save someone from hook if she knows you will do that for her, and simply she can play selfish and hide a lot more to avoid killer's detection.

Actually it’s probably false that your rating goes up with only 1 kill, in fact it probably goes down unless the person you killed happens to be higher rated than you and the people who escape are all lower rated than you. In normal circumstance 1 kill means you go up a bit from that but then go down three times for the three escapes. And typically your kill won’t be the highest rated survivor either since they’re probably the best on their team at escaping, instead your kill will more often be one of the weaker lower rated survivors so the boost you get will be small from it and you’ll still lose rating for the other three.

So no, killers don’t “usually gain rating”.

• Ebonbane2000Ebonbane2000 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2021

You can but it's a self-healing system (for the most part).

The crappy camping 4K'ing killer will rise in MMR and eventually get stomped by high level SWF teams pushing him back down. The skilled killer that lets survivors escape won't be forced into sweatier matches though. But then again they are probably letting people escape for that reason.

Survivor MMR on the other hand, is something different entirely. The only way to progress in survivor MMR is to play selfishly once the match is down to 1 gen left. This should probably be looked at to make may (2gens+2saves=1escape).

• PNgamerPNgamer Member Posts: 1,095

This has nothing to do with logic. These are facts and facts are important. You don't seem to be able to deal with them, but that's not my problem, it's yours. Would you rather calculate the game on an emblem basis with MMR ?.......

For God's sake. I'm glad it's not, because that would be a disaster for DBD and there would only be farm rounds. That would be boring and extremely detract from the game experience.

I like to write it again 1. ranks are dead ( there are only grades ) 2. emblem/pip/grade system are separate from the SBMM to consider because these have nothing to do with the MMR. Some players still don't seem to have fully understood this.

I think you don't get along with the name SBMM because the word skill is hidden in it and you understand something else by it. Calling a killer scum just because he defends himself with the means available in the game is questionable. In a game like DBD, a different calculation would be possible, but it would only lead to problems. That's why I think it's fine the way it is now. The only thing I notice is that some of the players are frustrated because it is called SBMM and has no other name. ( it's about escapes and kills but S stands for skill and for some players kills and escapes have nothing to do with skill).

• Rancid_DischargeRancid_Discharge Applicant Posts: 193

The kills and escape system is objectively terrible in a game like this no matter whether they release those details or not.