The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Camping: when is it ok?

MorfedelMorfedel Member Posts: 146

Well, I just had a surprisingly discouraging match today, and it was mostly from the extraordinarily hostile attacks of two of the players after the match.

So, I'm mostly a survivor, not that great a killer, so I'm starting out here. Rank 18, not that awesome, on the PC, and rank 15 on the PS4. Anyway, I'm trying to get better with the huntress' hatchet, and I'm slowly improving; its a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than controller....

Anyway, as I said, not so terribly hot, so when the gates get powered up, if I get a survivor on the hook I tend to soft camp / patrol it. Usually the survivors will try to come in and save them rather than exit, and I use that as an opportunity to get more, along with NOED.

hasnt always worked, but sometimes it has. I figure it only makes sense: if I'm playing survivor and a killer is camping someone, I just go do other things, work on gens, open gates, whatever. Punish the killer for camping by doing other jobs.

Anyway, once or twice I've been attacked for camping, and I point out MOST of the time I patrol; go kick a gen, come back, go check another gen, come back. Sometimes I catch them rescuing the survivor, sometimes they get away.

And what, I'm supposed to just LET them save the survivor? I don't get the attitude. But I've only been attacked a few times, and mostly softly, such as "great camping dude," to which I point out I patrolled / soft camped.... unless the gates were powered up.

This time, however, three of the players came at me. One was gentle about it and said "sucked you camped my friend, but otherwise GG." The one who I originally "camped" exited. I got a second one, however, and THAT one and the fourth, a twitch streamer too, came at me with all guns blazing, calling me all kinds of vile names and constantly cussing at me, belittling me, etc.

Frankly, I was more than willing to discuss the game, but I think they were SWF, or maybe two groups of SWF; they were very often together all four of them working on a single gen, or three of them where possible, etc. I could almost never find them, because they were all in one spot where I was checking others. They denied it, but the aforementioned person above said it sucked I camped her friend, and the other two, one was talking about the twitch streamer size of followers.

And in between the base insults, there were comments of "code of honor" and such. Like, its ok they SWF, they coordinate, they even rushed to rescue a hooked person earlier and complained about my camping her too, when they rushed in to save her!

Sigh... I dont know, am I wrong? When I played solo survivor, I used to get mad for getting camped, esp face camped or tunneled, and I watch twitch streamers like hybridpanda and tydetime run off right away after hooking someone. I generally do that early game, but keep an eye out for rescue teams to head back.

So, I'm a little frustrated at having been attacked in such a vile manner, and I dont know, I suppose I'd've expected better behavior from a twitch streamer, should have known better I guess.

But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KhroalthemadbomberKhroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 847
    0_o so you're leaving the survivor on the hook to go on a decent distance patrol, return after a little bit to see if anyone's stopped by, and repeating the process until either the hooked survivor is dead, rescued, or you find someone else?

That's not camping, that's the survivors being morons for not rescuing when you are obviously nowhere around...

My jaw has dropped on more than one occasion where I hook someone like 2-3 minutes into a match and they almost die on hook while I'm on the other side of the map...

I've said it on multiple occasions: while tunneling and camping killers can be an issue, the thing that's most likely to keep you from pipping up in rank are your allies.
  • MorfedelMorfedel Member Posts: 146

@Khroalthemadbomber said:
    0_o so you're leaving the survivor on the hook to go on a decent distance patrol, return after a little bit to see if anyone's stopped by, and repeating the process until either the hooked survivor is dead, rescued, or you find someone else?

That's not camping, that's the survivors being morons for not rescuing when you are obviously nowhere around...

My jaw has dropped on more than one occasion where I hook someone like 2-3 minutes into a match and they almost die on hook while I'm on the other side of the map...

I've said it on multiple occasions: while tunneling and camping killers can be an issue, the thing that's most likely to keep you from pipping up in rank are your allies.

The last two hooks were not really large patrols that time. but in my defense, the first time they were coming in hot, as in trying to rescue them with me nearby, seeing them. Its kinda hard to explain, but basically, I did do some soft camping the first time. I normally don't, but I had noticed the previous times I found them they were often together on a generator, and took off in different directions, yet would end up on another generator all of them at once.

I suspected they were SWF, so I stuck nearby to see if they call came in to rescue... and they did. All of them. They managed to get away despite that, although I got two hooks before everyone escaped. Next time around, was at the end of the game. I never really found them again until right before they got the last generator powered.

I hooked one, soft camped her because, well, generators were powered and her hook was very close to one of the exits. All it would take was a rescue and a sprint to the door and I'd lose them both. So I DID soft camp them, but I always thought at the end of the match like that is a different story than at the beginning.

Regardless they rescued her, I caught up to and rehooked her, chased the other three and managed to down one right before he got to the exit transition point, and took him to a hook.

hook placement was really bad for me this time around. One location had like one hook in the entire area.

Anyway, so I camped the first because of how they were playing. I'd seen it before and I suspected they were coordinated in some fashion, because no matter where I went, IF I found them most of the time they were in a group. I didn't find them often.

And that was just the first time. As I said, I never really found them again until the very end, when I rehooked and got two sacrifices.

I'm beginning to think camping is more legitimate than I used to think, because if the survivors are stupid enough to run in and save someone being camped, they deserve what they get.

I didn't used to think like that, until I have now had around 6 games where survivors swarmed me when I was trying to hook someone. like the ENTIRE group, I'd spend the entire match trying to defend a single hook as they swarmed me. Sometimes the tactic succeeded and they;'d get away after I got a couple hooks, other times I managed to down the entire team.

It always made me scratch my head wondering what the hell they were doing, maybe point farming? But it turned me sour very quickly and made me start to appreciate camping after all.

As a survivor, I've been the sole survivor of a match where the rest of the team would rush in to save someone from a camper, and I'd exit via the hatch because I was the only one who didnt swarm the hook.

So... yeah, there are a few times I've done hard camping. I've NEVER face camped. But I've done hard camping if I thought the rest of the team was going to swarm the hook, but usually I'd either patrol or just run check the other gens flat out. This match was a little different due to the circumstances, but it really was irritating. I came close to a 3k, got a 2k, and was going to GG them and discuss how terrible the hook placement was when two of them TORE into me with amazingly foul language and insults.

So... I dunno. I wondered if it was me or them. Hence the reason for this thread.

It honestly depends on the circumstances. Right up in the hooked person's face for no real reason holds no purpose beyond doing so to flashlight clicking d-striking pricks. At that point it's just cathartic lol.

But if you hook someone and see scratch marks nearby, see no one on BBQ, spot a foot or a hand dart around a corner, there's an open gate RIGHT THERE, or someone is LITERALLY attempting to loop you near the hooked person, it's not camping it's defending.

All those people that bitched about BBQ being overpowered and in need of more defense to fight it are now having to deal with the fact that YES the killer can no longer see the other three of you inside that locker or with Distortion, but now the killer has no reason to leave since the three of you might be right there for the instant save. In doing so light camping has now been encouraged.
  • yesyes Member Posts: 367

I absolutely HATE it whenever a survivor is about to be killed on the hook but they're saved at the last moment. It makes me frustrated. I HATE last-second saves.

yes said:

I absolutely HATE it whenever a survivor is about to be killed on the hook but they're saved at the last moment. It makes me frustrated. I HATE last-second saves.

I don't mind them if it's the first person hooked and their teammates have literally done nothing the entire time. It's like come on! Get him for crying out loud!
  • BloodyNightsBloodyNights Member Posts: 166

I only camp if I honestly think they deserve to be camped. Not for just playing well, but usually if they are just purposefully trying to be toxic. Like this Dwight who body blocked a teammate to eat a chainsaw, and saved other survivors without even letting me get a chance to walk away ten feet.

Personally it depends on how comfortable you are and how much you want to win. It's pretty frustrating for survivors to die, or even reach tier 2 on their first hooking. And also extremely frustrating being taken off the hook only to immediately be hunted down right afterwards. It is the most effective way to win as killer. Giving just enough wiggle room for them to be saved, but also not giving them enough space to get away.

Personally unless I'm just having a really bad game I tend to just completely leave the person on the hook all together, and go check on other gens for them to get saved, and come back afterwards hoping to catch the person who saved them. Especially during double blood points when everyone is trying to farm. But keep in mind that's just me being nice. Keyword nice. If you don't want to be nice to them that's perfectly fine. You are the killer and are trying to win.

And if the gates are powered you deff don't need to be kind to them filthy degenerate survivors who finished them gens. Face camp them and let them die, that's what they get! lol and if they get mad woop te doo. You did what you had to, to secure that kill.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 1,313

Just to be the obligatory toxic killer main in this thread:
    Camp like you want, survivors are doing the same. Or have you ever heard of survivors letting go of generators to find another one below 50%?

Survivors shouldn't be expecting to be saved, the moment they're downed/ hooked they were supposedly already as good as dead. It's arguably funny or sad to see how the community's mentality has changed the design choices of this game.

• yeetyeet Member Posts: 1,578

it's ok to camp when you wanna camp who gives a crap about what survivors want

• AttackfrogAttackfrog Member Posts: 927

Camping is always ok.

• GraviteaUKGraviteaUK Member Posts: 461

When is it ok to camp?

Whenever the killer feels like it.

• Luc_iusLuc_ius Member Posts: 155

I unhooked many survivors even with a camping killer, so there is always a chance.
    Once I received some angry message from a dead survivor that I put Hag traps around him. Sure, I will put them far away next time so he can feel comfortable, doesn't matter it's what Hag is about :D.

• lasombra1979lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,042

I as a killer am not responsible for the fun of the survivors. I will use any tactic that is within the rules of the game to achieve my goal of killing, whether that be tunneling, camping, moris, and any perk I feel will assist me.

This is a PvP game. Your goal is to sacrifice the survivors. Of course some will get their feelings hurt when you achieve your goal, because that means they did not achieve theirs.

That said, you did not camp, you patrolled. Patrolling is a good tactic when the gates are powered. Simple as that. Let them whine over it.

• XxAtomicAlfiexXXxAtomicAlfiexX Member Posts: 395

if i have less then 2 kills and the last gen is done i camp.

• CzarZeroCzarZero Member Posts: 6

No matter what you do, you're going to get salt from survivors who are just upset they didn't "win".

So just play how you see fit, even if the tactics you use are considered unsportsmanlike in Chapter 3, Section 6, Paragraph 4 of the "Dead By Daylight Community Rulebook"

• fluffybunnyfluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    Camping isn't against the rules, but it isn't fun for either and it's quite boring. If you're having troubles learning parts of the game such as tracking, I would suggest asking a nice friend for help so that you can practice. Half of the people you see in those ranks are smurfs and the other half are the ones I play with when I haven't played for a while lol. I swear, those ranks are a giant mixed bag. 

I'll say Huntress doesn't really need NOED when you get better at her. She's one of the best for a reason. You'll get past those ranks, too. As for the question at hand, camping is expected (imo) when they're in basement, the gates are open, or killer downs first after 3 gens pop. It's respectful when they don't, but I expect it. I think it's also understandable when a person is toxic or if the killer is being swarmed. If you see all three, the only reason to leave is to activate MYC or gain a stack on devour.

I get annoyed when they camp with no gens and with a d/c at start, though good survivors are going to capitalize on you camping. It's more fun to go searching and initiate a chase to catch your next imo. I often get more annoyed with my team than the killer. 

Just to be the obligatory toxic killer main in this thread:
    Camp like you want, survivors are doing the same. Or have you ever heard of survivors letting go of generators to find another one below 50%?

Survivors shouldn't be expecting to be saved, the moment they're downed/ hooked they were supposedly already as good as dead. It's arguably funny or sad to see how the community's mentality has changed the design choices of this game.

It's actually more like looping than doing gens and I know quite a few who won't loop cause they know killers don't like it. 

I only camp if I honestly think they deserve to be camped. Not for just playing well, but usually if they are just purposefully trying to be toxic. Like this Dwight who body blocked a teammate to eat a chainsaw, and saved other survivors without even letting me get a chance to walk away ten feet.

Personally it depends on how comfortable you are and how much you want to win. It's pretty frustrating for survivors to die, or even reach tier 2 on their first hooking. And also extremely frustrating being taken off the hook only to immediately be hunted down right afterwards. It is the most effective way to win as killer. Giving just enough wiggle room for them to be saved, but also not giving them enough space to get away.

Personally unless I'm just having a really bad game I tend to just completely leave the person on the hook all together, and go check on other gens for them to get saved, and come back afterwards hoping to catch the person who saved them. Especially during double blood points when everyone is trying to farm. But keep in mind that's just me being nice. Keyword nice. If you don't want to be nice to them that's perfectly fine. You are the killer and are trying to win.

And if the gates are powered you deff don't need to be kind to them filthy degenerate survivors who finished them gens. Face camp them and let them die, that's what they get! lol and if they get mad woop te doo. You did what you had to, to secure that kill.

Same, I want everyone to get the chance to get points. I'm a nice killer. -3- I'll also chase after the farmer if someone farms someone. As survivor, if I see a killer camping someone and they didn't play like that all game, I'll often assume the survivor did something and ask in the end chat. 
  • SpicybarbecueSpicybarbecue Member Posts: 162

camping is fine when survivors are gen rushing..only counter play you have.

face camping is only ever ok against swf, who in fairness should expect to be face camped

• ChiChi Member Posts: 755

In my opinion, I think camping is okay if the exit gates are powered.
    I don't do it myself unless I have a daily, but I really don't mind getting camped in the end. It is kinda fair game at that point.
    I do advice against it fully committing to camping all the time. There have been times where a killer could have gotten me downed easily, but decided to go back to camping, losing out on another down.

• MorfedelMorfedel Member Posts: 146

@fluffybunny said:
    Camping isn't against the rules, but it isn't fun for either and it's quite boring. If you're having troubles learning parts of the game such as tracking, I would suggest asking a nice friend for help so that you can practice. Half of the people you see in those ranks are smurfs and the other half are the ones I play with when I haven't played for a while lol. I swear, those ranks are a giant mixed bag. 

I'll say Huntress doesn't really need NOED when you get better at her. She's one of the best for a reason. You'll get past those ranks, too. As for the question at hand, camping is expected (imo) when they're in basement, the gates are open, or killer downs first after 3 gens pop. It's respectful when they don't, but I expect it. I think it's also understandable when a person is toxic or if the killer is being swarmed. If you see all three, the only reason to leave is to activate MYC or gain a stack on devour.

I get annoyed when they camp with no gens and with a d/c at start, though good survivors are going to capitalize on you camping. It's more fun to go searching and initiate a chase to catch your next imo. I often get more annoyed with my team than the killer. 

You reflected my thoughts exactly. I suck at huntress though, I'm terrible with the hatchets. I'm slowly getting better though.... I do a lot better with trapper, wraith, and, sadly, even clown which I just played for the first time today! I really like huntress though, so hoping I will start to master those hatchet throws before too much longer.

• TheluckyboiTheluckyboi Member Posts: 1,114

I only camp survivors when they are complete morons, teabaggers, toxic flashlights, decisives, sabos.

it is not a common practice from me, i hate standing next to a survivor doing nothing and waiting for someone to come, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Morfedel said:

@fluffybunny said:

You reflected my thoughts exactly. I suck at huntress though, I'm terrible with the hatchets. I'm slowly getting better though.... I do a lot better with trapper, wraith, and, sadly, even clown which I just played for the first time today! I really like huntress though, so hoping I will start to master those hatchet throws before too much longer.

You'll get there. Just continue to do your best.  C: Huntress hatchets can be quite hard to get down, but practice make perfect. I'd offer to help you practice, but i'm without computer and have no idea if we'd be close enough that it wouldn't lag too much. 

I only camp survivors when they are complete morons, teabaggers, toxic flashlights, decisives, sabos.

it is not a common practice from me, i hate standing next to a survivor doing nothing and waiting for someone to come, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I sabo for fun sometimes. It's always funny when the killer gets mad at you for something that fails most of the time. I also said hello to a pig with teabags before, though it was more of the kind you give fellow survivors. She's small and I forgot.
  • AttackfrogAttackfrog Member Posts: 927

Criteria for camping:
    -if exit gates are open
    -if 1 gen remains
    -if 2 gens remain
    -if 3 gens remain
    -if 4 gens remain
    -if more than 1 survivor remains
    -if at least 1 or more of the above is true

• Mrrgle_the_MediocreMrrgle_the_Mediocre Member Posts: 343

I'll turn on my C A M P I N G M O D E when the last generator is powered and I hook someone/someone is on the hook. People become extra altruistic for some reason when exit gates are powered and it's easier to save and just make a mad dash away. So it's really only effective at that point, I'd say.

• TwistedRustyTwistedRusty Member Posts: 15
    Its okay when you didn't get to hook one survivor or kill at least one survivor by the time 3 generators were done. That or it is okay when all generators are done and you got someone.
  • RoKruegerRoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    I camp only when I feel like it. I don't mind what the survivors have to say about it, they are prey! 
  • KomotezKomotez Member Posts: 14

Do literally anything you want, as long as you aren't hacking or exploiting (like body blocking survivors in the basement forever). You are the killer, it's your job to kill and you can do so in any way you see fit.

Sure some methods 'ruin the fun' for others, but you shouldn't feel pressured into abiding by any rules other than the rules set by the devs in the game itself.

Don't feel sorry for survivors, they get plenty of second chances (3 hooks to kill, unbreakable, no mither, self care, deliverance, decisive strike, insta-heal medkits, adrenaline, flashlight saves, pallet saves, sabo squadding, hatch standoffs, body blocking etc)

So in short, camping is ok whenever you say it's ok. There'll be plenty of people who'll try to guilt trip you into playing the way they want you to play, but just ignore them and ask yourself : "Did I buy this game to please other people? Or to have fun?"

• JusticarJusticar Member Posts: 319

I generally don't camp unless the exit gates are powered. My goal is for everyone to get as many points as possible and have as much fun as possible.

That being said, camping is okay anytime a killer wants to do it. Survivors hate it (and I get it, being camped sucks, especially if you die on the first or second hook), but sacrificing you to Spider-chan the Entity is the killer's primary goal.

• CrizpenCrizpen Member Posts: 129

@Morfedel said:
    But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance.

It's okay whenever it's to your tactical advantage.

For example, if you have a three gen trifecta, and hook a survivor in the center of it. It's absolutely okay for you to proxy camp them while you maintain map control.

If the doors are powered and you down and hook a survivor, it's usually to your advantage to camp the area than it would be to run to the opposite side of the map. That's just common sense.

If it's to your tactical advantage, you should do it. It isn't your job to make sure the survivors survive. In fact, your job is the opposite of that. It isn't your job to make sure every survivor has a good time. Each match is a competition, and if they can't or don't have fun in that competition, it's their problem, not yours. You are a killer, not a happy-fun-time-party-thrower.

It isn't okay to camp a survivor when it is to your own disadvantage. For example, face camping the first survivor you catch, early in the match. You're only hurting yourself if you face camp in that situation, and that's just stupid.

As for when it's okay according to the rules: camping isn't against the rules. Neither is tunneling. Survivors created the rule that killers should allow them to make safe hook rescues, but that's like playing Battleship and your opponent telling you that you can't attack the A column. Derp.

You will be accused of camping and tunneling, if you do or not. It's just what poor sports do when they lose. So, "gg" it and keep going.