Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Cheaters trying to frame innocent players

I just unknowingly got into a match with 2 hackers for teammates. Of course, the hackers were doing the usual things like flying around, speed hacking, moving very fast while slugged etc. The killer was chasing one hacker for awhile but couldn't catch him, so she instead decided to come after me. I knew my teammate was hacking so I stood there and was going to let her kill me, but every time she hit me I would get instahealed by one of the hackers. I assume the hacker was doing this to make me look like I was hacking as well. During the match I was also working on a gen and once one of the hackers got near the gen, my gen working speed increased greatly and the gen finished itself. I tried to let the killer kill me again at the end of the match, but the hacker still kept instahealing me, so I just escaped out of the exit gate. I talked to the killer for a bit after the match and had to explain to them what happened cause they thought that I was a hacker too (they may have even reported me, I don't know). So how then are legitimate players supposed to protect themselves from these hackers that make it seem like legit players are hacking too? Do I have to record every single match I play just to ensure that I don't get falsely banned for hacking?

Comments

• lavarslavars Member Posts: 312

Actually, I appreciate this statement. Why isn't there an FAQ about this? That's what most people want (and i know that there will be more crying, even with a statement)

• HannaciaHannacia Member Posts: 560

Yeah this happened to my friend yesterday as well. Hacker had already very disturbing steam name but he/she kept healing my friend while she was being chased making her look like a hacker. I'm glad she was streaming and she was able to send video proof out of that.

• MunqaxusMunqaxus Member Posts: 2,568

I had the exact same thing happen to me and my friend. We were playing in a game with a hacker, speed healing us. I let the entity kill me but then the hacker "hooked" himself and just stayed in game, preventing EGC somehow. I quit watching after a while.

This really needs to be addressed, because I don't see how you can tell the difference between cheaters and regular players at this point. And I'm sure there will be even worse hacks that affect the everyone. I've heard there's a hack that allows 1 survivor to insta-kill other survivors.

• xili84xili84 Member Posts: 130

Same here. I was being insta-healed without being touched by them. So on video evidence it would look like I am a hacker. I can't wait to get banned for someone elses doing. /sigh

EAC is constantly being updated? Then why were hackers still doing this days ago to me aswell? :) They kept insta healing me without even touching me. Ofcourse the killer is going to report me too, I don't blame him as it looks like I was hacking. But How do you determine from video evidence if I were cheating or not? you can't. With the amount of hackers lately, It is already in the back of my mind that it is only a matter of time that I will get banned for someone elses doing.

• VikingDragonXiiVikingDragonXii Member Posts: 1,171

The issue is most players either dont have access or dont video record thier games anyway because they are bot expecting to face a hacker. I am lucky enough to have Xbox Dashboard on my PC that has a recorder on it

Do you understand what we are saying? Even with video evidence it is impossible to tell who the hacker is. Random people are getting insta-healing from range, without being touched by hackers. As in the person who is NOT cheating is getting insta healed from the other side of the map, by the hacker. How is video evidence going to proof who is the hacker? This will get innocent people banned.

the ISSUE is the awful anti cheat software. Just updating it obviously does not help as one day later the cheats are updated too.

• MandyTalkMandyTalk Administrator, Co-ordinator, BHVR Posts: 18,327

Innocent people do not get banned.

Our Team of ACM's are very well versed in how to deal with hacks/cheats and what to look for.

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,058

This just happened to me earlier. Got a hacker that would instantly heal me without even being near me.

How can the people who look at the video evidence know it is someone else doing it and not me?

• vacamanvacaman Member Posts: 1,140

I think it's time to update your game and use some logs or ingame recordings so we don't have to use 3rd party software to be able to report cheaters or get totally ignored... And btw, just using video evidence would show that survivor healing himself instantly and probably get him banned even if he wasn't cheating.

• PlaysByShadyPlaysByShady Member Posts: 565

Are you suggesting there's no point reporting a cheater unless we've got video evidence to back it up?

Ok, with all due respect, I refuse to believe that "your team" can see who is remote insta-healing other persons, from a video from the killers perspective. You are not talking to a random Joe here. I can recognize hacks instantly, even the subtle ones after thousands of hours of game time. But there is absolutely 0% chance to identify the actual hacker if he is only doing said stuff.

Only when he is hooking himself and speed hacking can you tell, sure that's the guy. But not with remote insta-heals. Unless you tell me right now, that people are NOT getting banned solely on the fact of insta-heals, only then will I feel at ease. I can tell you I had games like that before, only insta-heals. And the killer reported every single survivor with video evidence. (allegedly)

All I can tell you is that our team of ACM's are very experienced and know what they're looking for and are very good at this. Nobody is banned without evidence and without being 100% certain of that evidence.

• themoobs1984themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

Every game is like this. Most players don't record every match they play on whatever they are playing. I always felt the report options on games was a waste of time.

• themoobs1984themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

What more does she have to tell you? You guys keep asking the same thing over and over when it's already been answered.

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 3,228
    edited November 2021

I'm a little perplexed by these statements. From purely visual evidence, you can't tell which person is cheating - or rather, you can't tell which person is not cheating, beyond vague guesses from their attitude or their interactions with other survivors/the killer. You'd require saved information from the match that focused on inputs to be able to make that distinction, but if that was the case, then I don't see why we need video evidence in order to make a valid report which will be looked at (which I and many other players cannot do and become automatically exempt from the ability to report, which is in and of itself a massive problem.)

The only other criteria I can guess is that you guys look at how many 'unsubstantiated' reports for cheating a player has, and if there's a big glut of them in conjunction with some video evidence, they're probably the cause of cheating in their matches, where if there's video evidence of something but few/no reports of cheating, they're probably a bystander.

I suppose these questions are futile because they literally cannot tell us their criteria (the first step to circumventing a system is knowing how it works), but it's hard not to be skeptical - I know I'm not the only person that's become disillusioned about this particular issue in the past few months.

I apologize for my rambling. It is due to my personal past experiences with this team that I have little faith in them. I need more assurances than just "our team will handle it" :) I am also not sure where this question would have been addressed in the past since they like the be either very silent or very vague on all these topics?

• AnObserverAnObserver Member Posts: 747

Typically people react differently when they think they are doing something bad not of their own volition vs. performing it of their own volition. And generally speaking creating a public "rules-list" will just give griefers a playbook to try and copy.

• HermitHermit Member Posts: 188

Yes.

You need to have a video recorded, report them ingame, open a support ticket, get the steamID and other stuff from the hackers account and finally upload the video somewhere, should only take you about 30-60 minutes 😎

In the meantime, the hacker, after eventually getting banned, can get a new key and be back in game in two minutes max 🤣

I'm sorry dude, but that is not enough for me. If their team would literally decide your fate based on that... thousands of innocents would get banned.

Take me as an example. When I notice a cheater, I just want to get out of that match asap, without getting a DC penalty. So I was just downed, and get insta healed... F me... I'm just gonna go finish the gens so I can open the gate and get out. There is no way of telling that I was healing myself or being healed by a hacker. non, nada, rien.

• PlaysByShadyPlaysByShady Member Posts: 565

Yup, sounds about right... that in itself should demonstrate the dodgy and futile nature of how reports are expected to be collated.

The worst thing is (speaking as a s/w dev of 20+ years experience), they absolutely can tell who's cheating... in real time. It's not that hard for the server to flag someone instahealing when they have no ability to do so, or moving at a speed that is impossible with ingame mechanics, etc...

• R2kR2k Member Posts: 1,069

I'm sorry if it was answered but are there any plans on making replays? I don't have so much free space to record my every single game in case i find hacker.

• stvnhthrstvnhthr Member Posts: 624

Not really, I get banned from matchmaking all the freaking time, and I have never cheated or disconnected, but boy oh boy do I get the time out sit in the corner for two day bans. DBD constantly punishes the innocent.

• VolczVolcz Member Posts: 645
    edited November 2021

"Our Easy Anti Cheat is also constantly being updated to remove cheats like this and people are banned (contrary to popular belief), it's unfortunately a never ending circle however, because people constantly update their cheats and bypass the system, then the EAC is updated again for that, and then over and over."

I'm sorry, its very hard to believe you when you guys just recently replied to an article about DDoSing and a streamer being swatted, stating that 'players are the highest importance' but you guys refuse to post anything about it on Twitter or a PSA anywhere for that matter. Your EAC is a joke, just like your report system. Your system literally only logs the pre game and end game lobby chats, you have no way of recording gameplay for individual matches and thus put the responsibility on people to provide video proof. And I know for a fact many hackers do not get banned for months despite 'evidenced video proof'.

Again, very hard to believe a company like BHVR regarding anything to do with cheaters/hackers.

EDIT: I see there's a PSA out on the forums now regarding this, so thank you (Mandy or whoever was responsible for doing that)!

Post edited by Volcz on

DC bans are an automatic ban when you disconnect, something completely different than ban that are being discussed in this topic.