Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Heartwarming/Wholesome DbD Experiences - Have You Had Any?

StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 5,497
edited November 2021 in General Discussions

This game sometimes feels like a machine designed to produce rage and frustration, but every so often you'll run into a match that makes you feel all fuzzy.

Last night - I got queued into an odd group.

There was one extremely experienced Nancy who somehow got paired with a Dwight and an Ash who were clearly very new. There was also a Zarina who knew what she was doing - but after I got 3 hooks almost immediately, she DCed. I definitely went in hard initially - Haddonfield offerings always make me leery.

Instead of giving up or going off solo, the Nancy persevered.

I watched her from the rooftop using gestures to herd the Dwight and Ash around, pointing at where to go. Initially, I was confused. What was she doing?

Well - she was actively teaching them the game.

I ended up easing up significantly and played along - sure enough, the game turned into a genuinely enjoyable mini tutorial for the two newbies.

It was just a lot of fun watching her playing babysitter to two newcomers and actually succeeding - she showed them which gens to do, which vaults to use when I approached, how to find my hexes, how to play a pallet (with me cooperating) and which lockers to hide in. All entirely through gestures and them imitating/practicing what she showed them.

I ended up letting all 3 go after two hooks. We all got a ton of BP.

Postgame - sure enough it was the Zarina who had brought the offering, and as I suspected the Ash and Dwight were very new. They thanked both me and the Nancy.

We all had a few laughs and ended up adding each other.

Due to the amount of toxic/annoying people you run into in DbD, it's easy to forget that there are also some genuinely nice people out there.

Comments

• PizzasaucePizzasauce Member Posts: 940

I'm not sure how well this fits but here it goes....

For whatever reason I wanted to save these two girls. I can't remember now. Whatever the reason was I dropped one off at the gate and let the other one go. The other crawled back to me, got under a hook, and the other one pointed for me to come over and point at the hook. I guess yhey didn't want me to let them win the game, and wanted me to win the game instead.

The only other story I got is playing against 3 absolute dirt bag SWF who finally exited and the one solo left her item behind I felt, as an apology.

• Bennett_They1ThemBennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,338

Yesterday, I was playing my fourth Bubba game (on midwhich) and I bumped into empty air beside a bookcase hitbox in the ramp room, and the mikeala I was chasing stood there, watched the animation. I nodded, she nodded (in a shared moment of "wth are hitboxes anyway lol"), and then we continued the chase.

In the end, I 4ked, but I sent a message showing my appreciation for that shared moment.

I also had a game where I played against a solid nurse player who let me survive unharmed (barring when I took hits for people).

I thought maybe they were farming, but in the postgame they said they saw my pronouns in my name and couldn't bring themselves to hurt my digital avatar.

They were good and I probably would've had more fun playing against them normally, but I appreciated the sentiment.

Side note: Just adding your pronouns to your gamertag, whether or not you're genderqueer, is a great way to do a small bit of activism. it'll take less than a minute to do, and It'll make the world a better place. (same thing applies to sig files for email)

• AdjathaAdjatha Member Posts: 1,093

I had a game months and months ago where I had to get mori kills for some challenge. This was prior to the Mori nerf. I used Doctor and managed to get all four. Afterwards, the survivors weren't bitter about getting mori'd, they actually complimented me on the gameplay and said they really enjoyed the game and how cool the mori animation was. They understood I was doing it for the challenge but said they thought I could've got a 4k even without the mori.

It was nice for survivors to not be bitter or resentful and to just enjoy playing the game, no matter the outcome. A candle of good sportsmanship amid the eternal night of salty johns.

Here's another.

I was playing against a brand new demo on hawkins a few days before demo got removed from the store.

they weren't confident enough to play super seriously, and clearly matchmaking had not been kind to them.

so, I refused to leave, and got them to hook me.

after I got saved, they refused to kill me, and tried to carry me out, but I stayed for the endgame collapse so they'd get a kill.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 5,497

Eh. I'm not really a fan of this - it can very easily come over, intentional or not, as seeking special treatment.

I already have the odd person threatening to report me for 'tunneling them because of the pride charm' or 'camping them because they play Claudette' - and one particularly bizarre game where I was told 'it wasn't right' for me to play Hag because I'm 'wyt' (yeah that one had me scratching my head).

That said, if you enjoy it and find that it grants you some sort of personal fulfillment, go nuts :).

Yes, I often try and give the last person the gates/hatch and sometimes they'll fight me on it. If they don't want a free lunch, I'll just finish them off.

Yeah. This has been the one and only time a survivor has given me a pity hook.

Full on toxic sweatsquad, Haddonfield offering, 3 further hook offerings and clicky clicky teabag teabag all the way. They constantly hugged the infinite and would abuse it the second I chased. Ended up with like 2 hooks the entire game. The last person gave me a pity kill, I think she was genuinely embarrassed by the conduct of her companions.

• DragonMasterDarrenDragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,055

I’ve had a few, the 2 that I remember the most are the one time a Trickster role played as a cashier on Gas Haven and the entire team played along for like 5 minutes, and the other is when a old classmate of mine from high school messaged me in the post game lobby

Needless to say, those moments were pretty funny

• TheShapesMixtapeTheShapesMixtape Member Posts: 3,320

No.

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 3,273

I've had too many to count. Just went against a group of Scoops Ahoy Steves last match. I was Trickster going for the Main Event challenge, and it wasn't going well; I was getting pretty stomped that game until my Devour Hope went off and suddenly I was getting downs left and right. But I didn't want M1 downs - DH was just part of my Trickster build from before this challenge and not conducive to what I was doing - so I started ignoring the slugs and using them as slowdown instead of hooks/kills, and going for blade hits despite the Steves being full health and within smacking distance. I think the collective Steve hivemind figured out I was behaving weird, because at some point one of them crouched in front of me and we truced. I tried taking them to my totem, but they were more interested in pallet stuns and I couldn't get any of them to follow me to the little nook it was hiding in. They didn't run away once I started plinking them with knives and later let me Main Event them.

I'm kind of shocked that they trusted me to KO all of them despite me having 5 stacks of Devour up. But I wasn't about to betray that trust and we all ended up getting a crapton of bloodpoints out of that game - two double bloodpoint offerings and everyone with 20k+ points.

For older stories, I'll never forget the invisible bartender Demo that let me get the old 'Where did they go!?' achievement. Halfway through the match, the Demo disappeared turned into a mobile red stain. Would have been terrifying if he'd been doing anything more aggressive than playing the saloon piano.

right, that's why I specified I prefer normal gameplay.

• ThiccBudhhaThiccBudhha Member Posts: 5,911

After I brutalized a swf by tunneling and face camping their first member out in record time, I made friends with a Zarina. I would nod when she didn't drop a pallet, and she would nod back. I was letting them live because I only needed the Meg for a mask. She noticed me drop her for a Pumpkin and led me to a different one I didn't see later in the game. She was trying to point at it. It was in the corner of the tractor on Fractured Cowshed. It was wholesome because I was treating them very poorly as it was a 4 man with flashlights and toolboxes for Sabo. But in the end, for whatever reason, the Zarina saw past my toxic Leatherface persona and to this day she was my favorite survivor.

• BeaburdBeaburd Member Posts: 815

This was taken on the final night before Hawkins was removed.

It started as a serious game, but then we all had fun with it and ended with a consensual selfie.

• Marc_go_soloMarc_go_solo Member Posts: 2,672

The games where it's competitive, yet light-hearted at times are fun. I had a match as Wraith today where I was playing pretty aggressively, but when I blocked a Meg doing a totem and hit her once, she cocked up the escape and ended up still trapped in the corner ... so, I let her go and looked for another.

Within a few minutes, all 5 of us were walking around in a line with me dinging, like some strange choo-choo train! Then after a bit of messing about, we went into serious play again. I 3k'd and let the 4th escape (although as I had to, since my randomizer had given me this perk, I NOED'd the final survivor after they opened the gate, but the carried them across the threshold amd dropped them so they could escape).

There have been loads of occassions, really, when I look objectively at my games. Remember the time the mounds on Azarovs that trapped players? Me (as Wraith again) and the 3 other survivors rescued a stranded survivor from the mound's grasp, before I spent the rest of the round beating the crap out of that mound, whilst they played along.

It happens quite a bit with me.

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,060

This time my team and I had a dinner party with a ghostface on mother's dwelling

• UssuUssu Member Posts: 177

When team mates dc, sometimes killers have mercy on the remaining survivors. Good sportsmanship and fair.

edited November 2021

It can be tricky sometimes.

Usually my rule is:

• If you have 1 DC at 2 gens or more, with everyone else alive, I'll go easy. At 1 gen (rare) I probably won't. They almost always happen at 5 or 4 gens though.
    • I'll two hook, but not kill anyone.
    • If there's already someone dead, I'll usually just end the game though unless it's at like 1 gen or something. Otherwise it just takes ages and then I get yelled at in postgame for not ending.
    Post edited by StarLost on
  • SunsetSherbetSunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,292

Not really, no. The best I have had is survivors complimenting me on my killer plays. Outside of that I can't remember any real positivity.