Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Are There Any Plans to Improve the "Fun" Aspect of the Game at High MMR?

Comments

• kaerukaeru Member Posts: 1,542

If 4 kills is winning for you, you can slug at 5 gens and get 4 hooks - 4 kills while having 4 strongest slowdown perks. If it's fun for you I don't see the problem.

• Suzzys_SecretarySuzzys_Secretary Member Posts: 14

You may want to define when fun is achieved for you? Was it fun when playing killer as 4k+ Hours vs 4x survivors with 100-500 hours playtime opponents? What sbmm has achieved and mentioned by the devs in their Q&A was to prevent the stomp games. As you said yourself you have to lower your mmr in order to get stressfree matches. So what is fun then? This is a highly subjective topic so i would love to hear your definition of what fun is. This might help the devs understand rather than "Make the game fun for me".

• woundcowboywoundcowboy Member Posts: 1,050

Well, for one, that won’t work against a good group since they will be able to get the pick up or bring UB. For another, optimal play is boring. Against a high ranking group, killer is forced to get a hook and camp. The fun part of the game, chasing, isn’t viable to do against the whole team because of gen speeds and tile setups. BHVR can do much better than this.

• UnderdawgUnderdawg Member Posts: 182

Fun is what you make of it (within reasonable parameters). The game provides you an experience. If that experience is no longer fun, or the way you play is no longer fun - change the way you play or stop playing. I'm not trying to sound mean, but you can't expect people to make you have fun.

• lav3lav3 Member Posts: 260

I don't get why people are so edgy and conservative for expected "balance" problem when high MMR is the most unbalanced system for killers in this game. And saying "Just play for fun." and "You're just sweaty and not enjoying the game" is realliy out of topic.

Honestly I would discard this MMR first.

• JawsIsTheNextKillerJawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 2,922

A working MMR should separate the new/bad players from the best players. This part of the MMR is "mostly" working and I hope the devs contine to refine it. The problem is that at high MMR, organised survivors against most killers just win. They don't have to play really well, they can afford to make mistakes and it won't affect the outcome.

I hope the devs are monitoring the performance of the game at the top level and can come up with some balance changes that will address this. They could do it with some adjustments to the survivor meta perks, adjustments to gen regression or even start buffing solos to lessen the SWF advantage to make the balancing easier.

If the better killers players stop playing killer, that means that less skilled players then have to face these survivors. Then they will quit too.

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 10,649

Depends on what you are defining normal as.

If you are defining it as "what I experience most often in my matches" then normal is taking one chase and watching 2-3 gens pop.

If you are talking about what normal should be, then normal should be being able to enjoy the most fun, engaging and skillful part of the game (chases) without having to think "I've been chasing this Survivor for 25 seconds, their gonna pop 2 or more gens on me, then I'll have to camp or tunnel someone out."

• thebrentster911thebrentster911 Member Posts: 54

Man, this is depressing to read about and all the comments.

I'm still newish, and I keep thinking "when I put more hours in and learn and develop my skills as killer/survivor, the game will be more fun".

It seems like the more you play and higher your MMR goes, the less enjoyment you'll have.

• Alphasoul05Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 438
    edited November 2021

You can't label a game a 'survivor party game' then have one ranked mode, then add MMR (which was never in the equation in terms of game balance) and then proceed to not balance the game where balance matters most. The reason games balance from the top down is because the things with the biggest impact really only effect those at the top, and the ones at the bottom won't really "feel" the nerfs because a bad player using DH is vastly different than a good one if DH was nerfed, for example.

But when 95% of your playerbase is in the casual/new player category, then it doesn't really matter about those at the top, even if you could balance the game, why go through all that effort if you don't have to? So long as your target audience is still flowing.

• FirelliusFirellius Member Posts: 1,622

It's going to be really difficult to make 'fun' and 'high MMR' in any way compatible. Given enough time, players will optimise the fun out of a game.

Best thing to do, IMO, is make a bunch of 'mandatory' perks baseline. Innate gen regression perks and innate anti-camp, anti-tunnel, anti-slug.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,214

Adding "skill" based matchmaking on a game filled with unskillful things was a mistake.

• nostrada96assnostrada96ass Member Posts: 180

If there is a 2:8 game mode I think most people would play that

other games benchmarked dbd many times and tried varius game modes

• Nathan13Nathan13 Member Posts: 4,410

I probably should know the answer to this, but can you tell me what is making most of your matches miserable?

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 8,666

MMR is why I quit the game. They took 1 year to make a worse system and think it’s great

So playing as Killer?

Well, not being able to chase Survivors without multiple gens popping is very unfun. Chases are where I get to show my skill.

Seeing my hits revoked is pretty unfortunate and unfun too.

Seeing Survivors who live to BM is pretty gross. Idk, I could go on and on about either side tbh

Yeah I get your frustration. The DH hit validation has been kicking my butt lol.

• Leatherface1990Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 468

Dead Hard Janky Hit Validation Deja Vu Double Screams. I tink we're doing gud job. Dev's r da boost.

It's just, when I see a Survivor play a pallet perfectly, part of me thinks "Oh good! A challenge." The other part thinks, "Oh, great, I've got to sweat my nuts off for a 1K and only if they misplay."

• M1MASTERM1MASTER Member Posts: 352

The plan is the good old "go play something else".

Remember when the devs said they were gonna use MMR to make "more meaningful balance decisions"?

Yeah guess what happened? They removed Deathslinger from the game and nerfed Wraith's base kit...

Boons are a dumb one sided mechanic that only exists because they desperatedly need to come up with new perks every 3 months.

DBD isn't even much of a game anymore; it's a glorified shop where making stuff to sell is much more important than how the game plays.

• M1MASTERM1MASTER Member Posts: 352

Meh, survivor is more boring than literally miserable. I stopped playing that too because it got insanely boring holding M1 and going against Nurse, Blight, Bubba, Huntress 80% of the time.

• beatddbbeatddb Member Posts: 532

The problem is that the game is staying with the same old mechanics but the players keep getting better.

I would like to show you a clear example of this: back in 2018 when the spirit came out, most of the people who tried her on the PTB said she was weak and hard to use, but she became top 2 a few months after, competing with nurse herself. Now the Artist has been on the PTB and people inmediatly saw her potential and calling her A tier and predicting possible nerfs due to how strong she is. This woulnd't have happened if she was announced a few years ago, because the playerbase wasn't as experienced. And if the Spirit were to be announced now, people would be seeing how strong she is with just 2 days of trying her.

The point is, players and perks keep getting better and stronger, but the core mechanics aren't keeping up with this. I would even argue that 5 gens shouldn't even be a rule and instead be map dependant (bigger maps should have 6-7 gens IMO, low mobility killers just cant keep up)

• nostrada96assnostrada96ass Member Posts: 180

this is wishful thinking around hooks and gens

unless they tweak game sets its not gonna happen