Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why do people who lose get mad when the winner says gg

Comments

• AVoiceOfReasonAVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,267

Because most people cannot handle a loss. It's even worse in this game but there can be a lot of factors. Did your team just literally throw the match by doing nothing at all? Did the killer face camp you to death without an attempt at a rescue? Did the survivors' curb stomp you after throwing up a map offering and having the perfect perks for it? Did the game screw you due to hitboxes, latency or just a random bug? Tilt can cause you to really not be alright lol. I know because survivor gets me tilted but getting screwed due to a hitbox as killer so I slide off of an object with Blight like hot butter will REALLY make you not want to keep playing.

• Nathan13Nathan13 Member Posts: 5,636

I say GG whether I win or lose, it’s just a game.

• DeadHardManDeadHardMan Member Posts: 318

Even though "GG" is a sign of courtesy towards opposing players, a lot of people do use it to gloat their victory and taunt.

• ZachcjjjZachcjjj Member Posts: 395

i always say ggs<3 as a default after every game survivor or killer whether i win or lose

• RougualRougual Member Posts: 511

gg is censored now in chat.

But why do think the community has come to seeing something as light hearted and sportsmanlike thing as "gg" as a BM toxic thing?

me to but people really take it the wrong way so often

its not toxic just because one side did bad you can do bad and have it still be a good game even if you yourself didn't play the greatest

But the amount of times i have seen gg be used as a taunt is like 1 out of every hundred games

• Marc_go_soloMarc_go_solo Member Posts: 2,672

A few reasons come to mind; probably already mentioned, but still:

1. GG can be mistaken for "Git Gud" if left alone. That's at the interpretation of the receiver, which rubs them the wrong way.

2. Some people aren't adult enough to deal with good sportsmanship. Easier to act like a brat to save imaginary face in their world than accept someone could possibly be better than them.

3. The need to validate false, exaggerated beliefs of themselves. It can't be that they were worse, surely! Must be the other got lucky and doesn't deserve their win, because they'd never beat me .. (queue ongoing inferiority rant).

4. And perhaps an important one to empathise with: they're having a bad day in general. Maybe they've been sacked from their job, had a quarrel with their partner, going through anxiety or depression. Whichever, they may not be in the right space to see the good will in it.

• WaterfallWaterfall Member Posts: 202

You answered your own question in the title of this thread. Because only when people win do they say gg. I for one never say gg ever regardless of how the game went. I also don’t respect players who say gg after a game since its only said by the winner which lets be honest their rubbing it in a subtle way. It’s way more sportsmanlike to say nothing and move on it’s not such a big deal to win in a game and honestly saying gg is unnecessary.

• foxsansboxfoxsansbox Member Posts: 1,026

Winners who say GG first are fairly tone deaf, especially given the often one sided nature of this game. If you think the other side is being a sore loser, that really speaks volumes about why you're saying GG at all.

• VikingDragonXiiVikingDragonXii Member Posts: 1,190

That's why I also say things like that so they don't assume....but there are those idiots out there that take everything the wrong way.

i have no problem with someone not saying gg but people getting mad at you saying gg when you are genuine is just kinda weird

• pizzaduffyhp90pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 580

they probably get mad cause their ego is hurt when you play fair and they just can't except the lost and when the killer is being a good sport

• foxsansboxfoxsansbox Member Posts: 1,026

They're supposed to read your mind and be able to tell you're being genuine? Do you not realize that grand majority of the games are not GG? They're generally 0-1 kills or 3-4. Usually stomps, littered with DC's, BM, Sandbagging, and general fuckery the majority of the time.

Let the losing side say GG first, if that's too hard for people then again, they're not really being genuine about it being a GG. Alternatively, you can rack your brain for a comment that's more than 2 letters to express your appreciation for the other side.

• Kira4EvrKira4Evr Member Posts: 1,647

They are just salty babies

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,151

Because it most likely wasn't a gg, therefore calling it one is wrong.

• lordfartlordfart Member Posts: 538

I scoff with laughter in any PvP game when people say gg after absolutely annihilating you, like YEAH I BET YOU HAD A GOOD GAME LOL

• Thusly_BonedThusly_Boned Member Posts: 809

It's because after they won they're feeling validated and that gg validates them further. After they lose they're feeling inadequate and defensive somehow and the gg feels like condescension, pity, or a platitude.

People who have a strong negative reaction to being told gg are emotional infants. If it was a competitive match, it's just good sportsmanship.

I think another place people get things twisted is assuming that if they lost they played poorly, and if they won, they played well. Unless you are competing at the top of the food chain, you probably screw up a lot even when you win. And you can play a good game and still lose. And sometimes your best isn't going to be as good as your opponent's best, and you'll lose, and you'll have to accept that. Be gracious in defeat as well as victory.

That said, saying gg after you steamroll someone will probably come off as insincere and condescending, so maybe go with something else, or nothing at all.

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 12,564
  • Thusly_BonedThusly_Boned Member Posts: 809

I play on console and switched to accepting messages from friends only pretty early on. That way I can just play the game without concerning myself with any what anyone has to say about how I played. I play in accordance with my own sensibilities, and don't sweat the rest.

But I have played and watched enough games (DBD and otherwise) in my time to know that the dynamics are pretty much universal, and post game chat, much like YouTube comments, are just better ignored. But if you're going to do it, do it with integrity and respect.

• Psycho_Psycho_ Member Posts: 348

i get dead harded to every window/pallet - not saying gg

i get destroyed by a killer with 4 slowdown perks - not sayin gg

soo many variables in this game to just be happy with the outcome, if it was a close game fair enough.

• ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 4,503

GG is usually only typed by the winning side. In (not so) extreme cases it is usually followed by an EZ associating "GG" with Get good or some other way to rub it in the killers face after Crouch spamming at the exit gate until the counter ticks down to 0 or the killer forces them out.

• Khelendrose2020Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 114

To be fair, there are some matches where a "gg" is more snarky than sportsmanship.

For instance, match starts, 2 DC (for baby reasons), the other 2 are trying to make a match of it, but the fully meta Blight camps and the match is hosed. It was a solo que match and the guy camped used BPS. The killer then says "gg".

Seriously, just stop it. Don't say anything. If someone is going to camp at 5 gens in a 2v1 in solo que, just take your BP and leave. Don't pretend to jave a shred of decency in you. lol

Otherwise, in most cases, it's just people who don't want to lose. More importantly, they don't know how to lose gracefully.

• OhAnotherKaiOhAnotherKai Member Posts: 20

That's an interesting discipline I never thought of it as potentially rubbing it in I think I'm gonna start doing that too.

• SakurraSakurra Member Posts: 990
    edited November 2021

I take it as insult. Especially if I get 0k. You can't tell me gg wp. It's not ok. I did bad if I hooked only 2-3 times and got 5 boring minutes. It's not a gg. It's big BG.

• dallasmedicbagdallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571

better to not say anything, even a ggs<3 like one of the posters above can be perceived as rubbing the W in your face