Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Killers Who Don't Camp

PizzasaucePizzasauce Member Posts: 940
edited December 2021 in General Discussions

Could you give a tutorial and/or advice to those who are stuck in the ways of camping? They are oh so lost and in need of guidance.

ETA: To borrow from StarLost, Sigh...

This post was made in jest. Bitter jest, but jest all the same. When I say "campers" I mean the ones that are looking you directly in the face, whether that be at close proximity or from a close distance. I forgive patrolling. I forgive hunting down a survivor you know is in the area. I even forgive hitting either the survivor who is hooked or the one doing the unhooking if they do it right in front of your face because that's just audacious of them. I'm a killer main, I'm not against killers. I'm not trying to "whine," I am poking fun. It only gets frustrating when people start putting words in my mouth and start jumping to conclusions. Okay?

Post edited by Pizzasauce on

Comments

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 5,481

Sigh.

Hey Pizza, let me see if I can shine a light on this for you, as you are somewhat new. This may come over as harsh, but that's not my intention.

• Certain killers (Trapper, Bubba and a few others) have kits that feel designed for camping, and not camping to some degree is almost playing the game wrong.
    • Facecamping is nasty, and BHVR are working on a mechanics change to prevent it. However, proxy camping is entirely legitimate and just how this game plays out sometimes. If I've got a survivor hooked in a corner, then me not patrolling past them or trying to predict and catch incoming survivors is essentially throwing the game.
    • On some killer/map combinations, camping can be the only way to secure a kill. I personally don't facecamp (unless someone BMs me) - with the exception of the EOGC if I've got 0 kills. It actually turns the 'endgame' into an endgame. A crisis point for the survivor team where they need to choose whether to risk themselves or abandon their comrade. I think this is totally fine.
    • Facecamping at 4gens is about as much fun for the killer as it is for the survivors. When a killer is doing this, it's generally because they feel that there is no other playstyle that has a reasonable chance of working. It may be that they've had a bad run of matches, got a terrible map for their build/killer or have been thrown into an SWF with infinitely more experience than them.

When players start resorting to an unfun, tedious playstyle, that generally suggests that the balance of your game is squiffy.

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 2,060

Camping is in my blood. You can't change it.

Coming from Bubba.

LOL

• Marc_123Marc_123 Member Posts: 1,984

At the start of the match i would never camp. You have to try to chase and catch someone - also to see how good they are. If your first surv runs you for too long - switch chase and hope they are not all that good - if that is the case you can almost forget it.

You want to come to the hook/unhook chase/run heal flow. If you manage to get that most survs are to busy to do gens and often in my games - also as surv - you can´t get the last 1 or 2 gens. You are constantly saving or healing and the killer often gets his downs way faster.

Then just try to do this until someone dies and then the next.

Sounds easier than done... But as surv we almost always lose when this happens.

When you can´t get anyone in chase, then you can camp if you down. Sometimes the team tries so hard to save that they all die to that.

• Marc_123Marc_123 Member Posts: 1,984

Overall good idea. When i started i watched a lot of Otz, Tru3, Dowsey and some others. You get almost every important tip there - own execution is then something else...

• SunsetSherbetSunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,292

Soon as the tutorial tells survivors to not be BMers who click and tbag. So, sometime after never ever.

• LynxxLynxx Member Posts: 244

If the question was even remotely valid, especially whenever I hear 'killer main' which is funny self term - play survivor and a lot of it.

If you get good at it you learn exactly what they will do and it will make you a far better killer than if you're just a 'killer main'.

• PizzasaucePizzasauce Member Posts: 940

It was a joke. And I play both sides. I just prefer killer.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,975

I hardly ever facecamp because if the survivors aren’t coming to me then I want to go to them in order to pressure them off the gens. That’s not to say I don’t go out, check for a chase, and then come back to the hook if I think a rescue is imminent, I’m not going to ignore an easy down on a rescuer who’s doing a trade. But unless someone’s hook timer is already right on the verge of advancing a stage I don’t see much point standing around twiddling my thumbs, it feels like an inefficient use of time and just isn’t as fun for me either.

So I don’t think there’s anything wrong with defending hooks, but I do feel like literal facecamping is often an inefficient strategy.

• foxsansboxfoxsansbox Member Posts: 1,033

Sounds like whining.

• LynxxLynxx Member Posts: 244

I know I read the post. It was more for other people who...may find value in it.

• foxsansboxfoxsansbox Member Posts: 1,033

Two threads over a couple days, where you do the same kind of complaining and my post history regularly calls out that kind of behavior? Sounds like an inflated ego and nothing more.

If anything, your brand of low-information generalizing and ironic crying is memorable, you can have that much.

• WarpheadWarphead Member Posts: 623

How about a tutorial to teach survivors not to cause camping?

If I see you hiding beside the hook while I'm hooking, or if you rush me, bodyblock, attempt sabo, I'm not leaving, BECAUSE i KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT THERE. If you're clicking at me the whole time I'm hooking, I'm going to look for you, right there.. If you run me around the hook, I'll chase you around it as long as you want me to.

If you're near the hook when I'm hooking LEAD ME AWAY IN A CHASE. It's easy as hell, but you have to get close enough for me to chase, just seeing you tb across the map isn't what I'm talking about. If you're standing there watching me, I'm comfortable waiting it out.

The only thing that can stop me is doing gens, but don't do that.

• PizzasaucePizzasauce Member Posts: 940
    edited December 2021

And I would do the same. Well, I wouldn't facecamp. I would look for that survivor. That is not what I'm talking about, though.