We are aware of a current issue going around affecting most forum users. Affected users received this message upon log in: "You need to reset your password. This is most likely because an administrator recently changed your account information. Click here to reset your password."

We are currently investigating this incident.
The November 2019 Developer Update is now available: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/103996/
Chapter 14 Teaser:
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The new Surveillance change is awful !

Robb_StarkRobb_Stark Member Posts: 87
  1. It really encourages Generator camping and keeping the game hostage.
  2. It makes Tinkerer useless.
  3. It hurts stealth play.(At the start of the match some people wait until the Killer patrols the Generator before repairing; Surveillance made this pointless now)

This might be a better option:
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/40485/surveillance-rework#latest

Comments

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 4,040

How does a perk that alerts you to generator repair from across the map encourage camping?

With your idea, I can't see a middle ground between "useless because it would be too easy to play around it since you can see it coming from a mile away" and "basically the same as the current PTB Surveillance because it is too inefficient to remove the tracker". Either your idea is about as strong as current PTB Surveillance or about as weak as current Live Surveillance.

• AstonishingMuthaLikaAstonishingMuthaLika Member Posts: 14

O.p. it doesn't start until the gen has been kicked so he won't catch you if you wait to start after his first pass.
    lol Gen Camping. I had a 3 gen locked down with the Doctor on Gas Heaven driving up the madness, it was precise flawless and took great discipline to make sure I got it. It was after the last patch though and the Doctor bugged for a week or two after so after all that I got booted. After I logged back in the guy messaged me and told me he reported me for taking the game hostage. He argued with me for hours basically saying that I was supposed to ignore my overcharge and let them do them gens. The train of thought is crazy, I told him " you held the game hostage by looping me" . He didn't understand that whining about me stopping him from doing the gens and escaping was the same thing..

• Robb_StarkRobb_Stark Member Posts: 87

@AstonishingMuthaLika said:
    O.p. it doesn't start until the gen has been kicked

Oh, the patch notes must be wrong then. Fortunately...

@TAG
    How does a perk that alerts you to generator repair from across the map encourage camping?

Whenever the Survivors touch that Generator, the Killer will return to it over and over again. This might get really annoying and lead to keeping the game hostage, especially if your teammates made it so that the last Generators are close to each other or if there are only 2-3 Survivors left alive. In comparison to Overcharge/Discordance, Surveillance cannot be avoided.
    It might have been a good idea if the perk could be avoided somehow, but in order to do so you need to spend some time.

@TAG

Whenever the Survivors touch that Generator, the Killer will return to it over and over again. This might get really annoying and lead to keeping the game hostage, especially if your teammates made it so that the last Generators are close to each other or if there are only 2-3 Survivors left alive. In comparison to Overcharge/Discordance, Surveillance cannot be avoided.
    It might have been a good idea if the perk could be avoided somehow, but in order to do so you need to spend some time.

Camping is when you just park yourself in front of a thing and basically don't leave that spot.  Like actual camping IRL.  What you're describing is just the Killer defending the gens.

@TAG said:
    Robb_Stark said:

Camping is when you just park yourself in front of a thing and basically don't leave that spot.  Like actual camping IRL.  What you're describing is just the Killer defending the gens.

Yeah, you're right. But the constant notifications the Killer gets because of this perk are very frustrating. :angry:

• ChesterTheMolesterChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited January 9

@TAG

Here is the deal; if the Killer is hellbent to camp a few gens, as long as you spaced them out and not allow him an easy 3 gen strat, you reduce his chance of winning to somewhere between zero and none. 
    In fact if any game ends in a 3gen its most likely on the survivors

Also Tinkerer helps you do the same and gives you stealth and it didn't cause a 3gen apocalypse. 
  • MojoTheFabulousMojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 1,133

3 is wrong because the Gens don't start with the eFFect triggered.

• Tru3LemonTru3Lemon Member Posts: 1,282

i never though someone complain about that perk it needed a buff cuz it was useless if the killer its camping just do gens of course not the gens that shes not patrolling

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 1,977
    3. It hurts stealth play.(At the start of the match some people wait until the Killer patrols the Generator before repairing; Surveillance made this pointless now)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but generator camping as you call it is not holding the game hostage neither is a three generator strat.

Amount of people who throw around the phrase holding the game hostage without knowing what it means it's baffling
  • Bravo0413Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,133

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but generator camping as you call it is not holding the game hostage neither is a three generator strat.

Amount of people who throw around the phrase holding the game hostage without knowing what it means it's baffling
    This /\.......... killer holding the game hostage is a scenario where they body block a survivor in a corner and keep them there until they DC

@Bravo0413 said:
    This /.......... killer holding the game hostage is a scenario where they body block a survivor in a corner and keep them there until they DC

What about this scenario:
    There are two Survivors alive and 1 Generator left. The Killer is the Hillbilly. Each Survivor attempts to repair a Generator, but the Killer just uses his sprint to easily go from one Generator to another. He kicks the Generator, patrols a little bit so that the Generator regresses, finds no one, goes back to the previous Generator and repeats.
    It happened to me once and that match lasted around 30 minutes until the other Survivor dc'ed and I got caught while trying to find the hatch. Whether it is considered holding the game hostage or not, it wasn't fun at all. Imagine what a Hilbilly would be able to do with Surveillance.

• TheHoodiedOneTheHoodiedOne Member Posts: 7,189

So your salty about the new change to a perk that needed it, sure, this perk needed it more than saboteur needed the changes it got

@Bravo0413 said:
    This /.......... killer holding the game hostage is a scenario where they body block a survivor in a corner and keep them there until they DC

What about this scenario:
    There are two Survivors alive and 1 Generator left. The Killer is the Hillbilly. Each Survivor attempts to repair a Generator, but the Killer just uses his sprint to easily go from one Generator to another. He kicks the Generator, patrols a little bit so that the Generator regresses, finds no one, goes back to the previous Generator and repeats.
    It happened to me once and that match lasted around 30 minutes until the other Survivor dc'ed and I got caught while trying to find the hatch. Whether it is considered holding the game hostage or not, it wasn't fun at all. Imagine what a Hilbilly would be able to do with Surveillance.

Well then I guess 1 survivor needs to bait the killer away and keep attention from the gens... if they get caught and die then the other gets to have a chance for the hatch 

@Bravo0413 said:

Well then I guess 1 survivor needs to bait the killer away and keep attention from the gens... if they get caught and die then the other gets to have a chance for the hatch 

We got into that situation because none of us wanted to be found by the killer.

• MyNamePeteMyNamePete Member Posts: 553

@Bravo0413 said:
    No it's not.... its outstanding.... in what way is "gen camping" even a thing? 

This would make it impossible to escape if there are 3 generators in close proximity as the killer would always know if someone is working on the gens. It is a very good change but needs to have thought about that.

@Bravo0413 said:
    No it's not.... its outstanding.... in what way is "gen camping" even a thing? 

This would make it impossible to escape if there are 3 generators in close proximity as the killer would always know if someone is working on the gens. It is a very good change but needs to have thought about that.

And as I stated... 1 survivor takes the attention of the killer-----> leads the killer away.... while that's happening the other survivor or survivors work on the gen and maybe complete it... that's about the only way to get put of that situation... if you're playing killer and your only objective is to defend your gens and kill survivors and you have a close proximity of gens why leave the area when the action is in that certain area...? 
    The fun is in the chase anyways so why play hide an seek the whole match? 
  • HatCreatureHatCreature Member Posts: 3,013

@Robb_Stark said:

@TAG said:
    Robb_Stark said:

Yeah, you're right. But the constant notifications the Killer gets because of this perk are very frustrating. :angry:

Wait so have you played using this perk yourself? Do you get a noise notification every time the Gen gets touched or does the color change with no noise notification?

edited January 9

@HatCreature said:

Wait so have you played using this perk yourself? Do you get a noise notification every time the Gen gets touched or does the color change with no noise notification?

I haven't played using the perk but it has to be both. Discordance works the same way.

@Robb_Stark said:

@HatCreature said:

I haven't played using the perk but it has to be both. Discordance works the same way.

My apologies for this misinformation. I have just tested Surveillance and it gives no noise notifications.

• HatCreatureHatCreature Member Posts: 3,013

@Robb_Stark said:

@Robb_Stark said:

@HatCreature said:

My apologies for this misinformation. I have just tested Surveillance and it gives no noise notifications.

Shame, it needs it then, like you said, Discordance has it.

@HatCreature said:

I hate to trouble you, but could you be kind enough to screen cap the in-game perk description for Surveillance for me?  I don't have access to the PTB myself (I play console), and I have not been able to find it anywhere.

@TAG said:
    I hate to trouble you, but could you be kind enough to screen cap the in-game perk description for Surveillance for me?  I don't have access to the PTB myself (I play console), and I have not been able to find it anywhere.

@TAG said:

Thank you so so very much.

As a Survivor it is extremely irritating to play against a Killer who uses this perk.
    Last match he came to my Generator, kicked it, looked around but he could not find me and he left. When I resumed repairing he came back. We did this four times until he caught me. Although I kind of wasted his time, I could not get any blood points as he kept interrupting me.
    It may be bothersome for Killers as well, if the Survivors just tap the Generator and then immediately hide somewhere far away from it.

• Timo425Timo425 Member Posts: 19

I'm so glad they fixed Surveillance. I just hope it doesn't bring a ton of 3-gen docs out of the woodworks, yikes.

• AstonishingMuthaLikaAstonishingMuthaLika Member Posts: 14

@Robb_Stark said:

@TAG

No, the patch notes aren't wrong, you just didn't understand how the perk works.