Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Mindgames are slowly becoming useless

Theres a very, very limited amount of mindgames you can do (for basic m1 killers) and since survivors are slowly getting better the more matches you win, they dont get caught off guard by any mindgame, which is an issue thay is only going to get worse.Simpler killers with a power that might be helpful or not in chase, like pig, legion, wraith, myers or ghostface and i dont know how this can be adressed without adding an antiloop mechanic in some m1 killers power, which makes chases much less interesting for both killer and survivor.

Mindgames you can do are limited and you cant really invent new ones, once survivors learn them theres not much you can do, which is really sad because they make chases engaging.

And, before someone tells me to get good or something like that, i have played this game for 4500h, so im confident that i know most if not all mindgames and the timing to do them.

Comments

• anarchy753anarchy753 Member Posts: 3,796

I think two big steps need to be taken to improve mindgames in general.

The first is to actually fix stretched res. The fact that cheating survivors are able to see what you're doing over walls when they shouldn't be able to negates any form of skill and prediction on the killer's part.

The second is to remove the boarded up windows on the back of the shack. This should simply be a plain wall that eliminates the survivors' ability to see what movements you're making on the other side of the wall. They should rely on instinct and prediction, not flawless information that means you can't reasonably make smart decisions against them at the shack.

• ThatOneDemoPlayerThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 3,904

They still work

• Marc_go_soloMarc_go_solo Member Posts: 2,672

I feel they still have their worth, but I do agree that after a while it becomes much more predictable.

There certainly room for changing up the meat and 2 veg of this game. Some possible changes to look at mqy include:

1. More randomized tiles. It would fit in with The Entity's lore of a lack of understanding of how worlds exist, and could vary tactics: one spawn could be made more for hiding; another creates a maze; another more traditional.

2. More objectives and mini-games. This can be for both sides. Maybe map-related objectives, so whilst MacMillan would suit gens, as would Autohaven, other maps like The Game could have Saw-like objectives; The Eerie of Crows may have painting-related tasks. Heck, I'd even be for some of the whacky puzzles from RE and Silent Hill games!

3. Traps around the map that both sides could lure each other into, or parts each side could gather around the map to make objects or traps, to add an element of things to be wary of in chase.

4. Offerings that alter the game and actually give something. For example, an offering that makes items like the pumpkins from Halloween appear to give little boosts or nerfs. Other options could be offerings to create certain weathers that may affect movement, field of view and so-on; or make breakable walls invisible to survivors and so on.

Basically, the game needs some changes to freshen the status quo. With mind games being the main thing that makes each trial different, and yet even they are becoming stale, more gameplay changes would be needed to allow different approaches and return some freshness.

• WesCravenFanWesCravenFan Member Posts: 1,057

I never understood the obsession with mindgames in the first place. People act like they are the ENTIRE game.

• SimfelizSimfeliz Member Posts: 1,188

Since this is something on the player, I don’t think I can be addressed. Even if they add more ways that you can play like this, survivors will just learn that too. You even say you’re learnt most the mind games. Maybe if you’re playing against someone who you think knows them too play some reverse psychology to catch them off guard.

I guess some people like the thought of “outplaying” someone else.

• SadBillyMainSadBillyMain Member Posts: 5

I agree. I feel like the quantity of players using the op stretched resolutions ( 1080x1080 and lower) has grown by a considerable amount, and its getting out of hand. Autohaven is pain against them.

The idea of removing that window on shack is really good, but more needs to be done, maybe what another user said that is making varied tiles. Also making shorter loops that take skill to run and mindgame and removing bloodlust II and III so its balanced can be a good fix.

They are the only interesting thing left for some of us, it might be because we have played dbd more than we should have and it gets dull to camp three gens and map patrolling for hundreds of matches

• MylaMyla Member Posts: 1,551

I've been saying for a long time that there's actually skill ceiling to how much you can learn on Mind games. At one point is just comes to screeching halt and all your mind games does is drop the pallet faster. You can miraculously mind game the safest tile in the game but lose it in a single press of the button E. Then there's also stretched res which is just legal cheating at this point.

They are still worth, but they are getting more and more worthless as time passes and we cant do anything about it.

I completely agree with 1,2 and 4 this game has a terrible lack of variety in maps, tiles and objectives. I would have to see number 3 in a PTB though, depending on how they are designed they will be unused or overused i feel.

They need to stop making killers/survivors for a while and focus on other aspects of the game. I dont think they are running out of money so they can afford half a year without releasing new content, and they can still make skins meanwhile

I always thought i needed to get better at them, but the harsh truth is that yeah they have an skill ceiling and it isnt even that high (for m1 killers). Stretch res is an issue but i have a kinda unpopular opinion on dead hard, while its true it allows you to avoid a situation where you messed up, if they removed it people would just simply not make that extra vault or loop and predrop the pallet. In some situations you will down them if they dont have dh, but in the majority they will just play safer and it even might take more time to catch them. Id very much prefer that you can only bring two of the same type of perk and make the matches more varied. Example : if bill and meg have both unbreakable you cant equip it, or you have to change it for another perk. Ds can be an exception since tunneling is very common

• FatallyIconicFatallyIconic Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2021

Of course mindgames are useless. When all the recent killers they have been releasing are ranged anti-loop and get a free hit whether or not you fake something. The only viable playstyle against new or meta killers is to pre-drop and Shift +W. People complain endlessly about shift + W, but what else are you meant to do against anti loop killers? You actually get PUNISHED in the killer's favour for trying to stay in a jungle gym and use mind games to prolong the tile.

DBD is in a very different state than to what it was years ago. Back then actually getting GOOD at the game and learning cheeky mindgames was rewarding. Now, what's the point when the killer can hit you regardless with their built-in power? The last decent killer they released was blight. Everything else is a bore-fest pre-drop shift W. Hate this direction personally. It's boring for both sides.

• StarrseedStarrseed Member Posts: 840

The most funny mind game situations I had in the last week's where when I clearly saw that the survivor was better then me and pulled some really good counter mind games I just stopped mind gaming and followed them straight like a new killer would and it's surprising how often the really good survs get bamboozled cause of this

• WesCravenFanWesCravenFan Member Posts: 1,057

It might be dull, but that's the intent of the game. The game design as intended by the devs does not change because you played the format to death and got bored.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Mindgames were never that good to begin with. That's why M1 killers are the weakest in the game. It's just that we have so many killers who can just brute force loops now that there's no reason to keep doing those red glow mindgames.

• Rogue11Rogue11 Member Posts: 623

I argued this when Spirit was nerfed into the ground. Most of what is considered mindgames in DBD is hiding visual/audio information and creating a situation where the other side has to predict based on reads and intuition gathered throughout the match. LT walls played correctly by both sides fit into this, and they're considered one of the most fair tiles.

They're becoming useless for survivors as well. It's sadly more effective to pre-drop and run vs like half the killer roster now.

• lauraalauraa Member Posts: 2,276
    edited December 2021

Mindgames are worth because the payoff can be amazing.

But sometimes it's betterto be unga bunga CAVEMAN SMASH killer and just brute force your way through.

Losing mindgames means more time wasted in chase, and even longer for the surv to drop the pallet. Sometimes I'd rather just eat pallet.

As a NOED Main, I prefer to clear out the map Asap for the grand finale.

• lemonswaylemonsway Member Posts: 786

Map Design and forgetting M1 killers existed is why mindgames are useless. You're better off holding shift W and dropping pallets than you are looping, unless you're looping infinites.