Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

2 perk archetypes that are pointless against good survivors

danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,151
edited December 2021 in General Discussions

I'll try to keep this short. What I've found playing as killer is that some of the things I used to put value into, I don't anymore.

The first thing is info perks. Everybody loves to run BBQ. I don't, never really did. Whether it's that perk, Discordance, Surveillance, I'm All Ears, the information doesn't matter if the survivors are pressuring you enough, or if you can't get them. If you remembered survivors pushing a gen, and you come back to find it almost done or popped in your face, what did that info perk matter? What did it matter that you saw the aura of someone on the other side of the map? For chase info perks like I'm All Ears, what's it gonna change at a jungle gym for you to see the survivor's aura if they just wait at the corner and react before you even get close to them?

The second thing is gen defence. To me, survivors give your gen defence perks value. There's nothing you can do that makes your gen defence perks work. Whether it's Pop, Ruin, Surge, or Pain Resonance, the survivors have to get downed often for those perks to work, and against good survivors that just doesn't happen. Pop is notorious at this point for you getting 3 uses out of it all game, because survivors do gens in your face and do all the gens before you can cash it in. Ruin just gets destroyed, and survivors can push gens all the same even when it does get left up. As soon as survivors see Surge go off, they'll just hold forward to the other side of the map during chase. Pain Resonance doesn't have the worst activation conditions ever, but its regression can be undone in like 10 seconds. And base regression sucks, so what's the point in defending gens at all unless you've got these fruitless gen defence perks on?

That's just my take on those 2 aspects of killer. That's why me and some enlightened others are using Corrupt/Deadlock/No Way Out. Guaranteed slowdown. Gen defence and info don't matter, but these perks do somewhat matter.

Edit: Corrupt and Deadlock are more like gen delay than gen defence, because they don't regress. Just to push us away from that argument and focus of the main one.

Comments

• RainehDazeRainehDaze Member Posts: 1,293

Even I think you're being hyperbolic here. Obviously ignoring that BBQ's information isn't the main reason to run it, at least it feeds you information when you would like to know information--if nothing else, it will cheerfully inform you (assuming people aren't diving into fortuitous lockers) if everybody is squatting on gens far away or if someone's closer, and sometimes who's going to come for the rescue from where. And you've just hooked someone, so now is the ideal time to go looking.

Same for Pain Resonance, which does the handy job of telling you where to go when you've got the hook, assuming you want to go to the most complete gen. And maybe with bonus screams. Which also makes it Pop's natural partner, because there's a fairly reasonable chance that you can then get over to this not-finished gen and boot it some more.

FFS, you're basically running two and a half info perks anyway (corrupt being the half); they're just (like Pain Resonance or BBQ) multi-function ones.

• Barbarossa2020Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 884

Huntress main so information is everything.

Discordance = cheeky snipe shot, same with Bbq.

Iron maiden for faster reloads.

Corrupt for early game pressure.

• ColonGlockColonGlock Member Posts: 717

Killer is not worth it without BBQ. I would have quit in 2017 if killers kept earning just as much as survivors for an obviously harder role. I personally have given up on gen defense perks and 3 genning and do not regret it. Yes, some teams finish gens super fast but many times I still 4k and my matches are not taking forever. I also get to experiment with lots of different perks. I will try your ideas but winning is not my top priority. Earning BP is.

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,031

This. Even on Hag I run BBQ even though it's not good on her, but that extra BP is needed with the abysmal grind.

• jesterkindjesterkind Member Posts: 2,963

Definitely echoing that BBQ is for bloodpoints, and that its info - while not strong - is still pretty nice on some killers.

My main gripe with the rest of this post is how exaggerated it is? You're treating "inability to down survivors" as a consequence of those survivors being good, and not you struggling against them. Even top tier survivors still go down, and I straight up 100% have zero reason to believe you or any other given forum user are actually going against top tier survivors. Info perks still matter, because they let you make decisions. Hell, take BBQ- say you hook someone, and you see a survivor on the other side of the map kneeling down and fiddling with something that isn't a generator. A few seconds later, the thunderclap of a boon sounds. Without BBQ, you wouldn't know where that was, but now you do. Chase info perks help you use your killer's power or out mindgame a survivor, you are not helpless in chase against even good survivors.

Regression I do somewhat agree with, I do think outright delay is a little stronger right now, but it's still not useless because you can still make it activate for the reasons laid out above.

• TiufalTiufal Member Posts: 829

So basically no perk at all works on good survivors?

• TeabaggingGhostfaceTeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 1,549

Fellas, is it toxic to not want to be blinded by flashlights?

• VeinslayVeinslay Member Posts: 752
    edited December 2021

I don't use any gen defense or slowdown perks at all anymore. I just think they do very little to slowdown good survivors. I just load up on chase perks, so different combinations of like EnFury/STBFL/Lethal Pursuer/Crowd Control/Brutal Strength. I just try to start and end the first chase ASAP and build pressure from a hook

• AkumakajiAkumakaji Member Posts: 1,125

Fam, I was just making fun about the recent debate about the perceived toxicity of Lightborn ^^ If you missed that just read up, you will be in for a wild ride.

• ShapedShaped Member Posts: 4,903

I like discordance on stealth killers honestly.

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 3,227

Some information perks aren't good yea... Some Regression perks are bad yea

But there are some that do work... Like Whispers it may not be aura reveal but it still has a place in this game

I feel that if the Devs increase the base regression that it would help... and change up the skillcheck UI

So other perks can work... Like Overcharge (but that is a different discussion), Huntress Lullaby, Autodidact... Having any status effect could change how the skillcheck shows up

Separate perk interactions just a bit.... Like Deep Wound: If the Killer applies it then it lasts for X seconds but if it's Survivor applied then it lasts for Y seconds... And adding Blocked Gens regress if it was Killer applied vs. Survivor applied it wouldn't

Doing something like that would Buff Legion and Deathslinger... while keeping BT and Soul Guard the same

And Thrilling Tremors and Deadlock get a buff while also buffing Repressed Alliance to a degree

• BrokenSouIBrokenSouI Member Posts: 5,195

I'll disagree on info perks. One of the strongest builds you can currently run is just that, info. Especially if you're capable of doing something with the information

Infectious is a main stay in a ton of my builds. Along with bbq(though thrilling may be better now...But BP)

Learning to slug for pressure is as strong as it gets currently.

Gen defense is the weaker of the 2 funny enough. But pop/scourge hook is still pretty good.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

I disagree on info perks. BBQ is not a good tracking perk because most killers can't even utilize the aura reading well, and it's easy to counter. Discordance, Tinkerer and now Pain Resonance (it's a regression perk with a bit of tracking) are incredibly useful imo.

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,151

No, I said you need to down often. Good survivors can be downed, sometimes within 20 seconds with the right reads. But if they're the ones who make 1 or 2 good reads in a chase, your game can be ruined just off of that. Now imagine multiple chases like that. All the gens are done and you've got 6 hooks at most to show for it.

I posted this discussion because I wanted a conversation about killer perks, not about my supposed lack of skill. If this keeps up, I'm just gonna stop posting. I can't express my ideas to people in my circle because they just don't have that level of experience in what I'm talking about, so I come to the forums instead. But now it's like I'm denied even that.

Corrupt/Deadlock. Maybe NOED. But you don't have to hear it from me to know that 95% of killer perks survivors can just ignore or overcome.

Slugging is becoming less reliable. Everyone runs Unbreakable and the new boon. For SWF, they might as well have a free WGLF for how coordinated and quick they pick up people. I try slugging, especially in endgame, but it's not consistent. The survivors have too many chances to pick themselves back up. Now that Circle of Healing is a thing, nobody stays injured for too long.

• TeabaggingGhostfaceTeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 1,549

I know, goddamn survivors complaining about my sunglasses