Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

why deathslinger is useless and what we should do to fix that

RooftopperRooftopper Member Posts: 141
edited January 1 in General Discussions

seriously

Comments

• ChordycepsChordyceps Member Posts: 933

He's still strong, you just have to play differently than you did before. Use LoS blockers to your advantage, aim before rounding corners, AdS but don't shoot in order to make survivors run around like headless chickens and close the gap a little faster. His playstyle has just gone from purely reactive to more strategic.

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 3,227

He isn't useless... Just needs to be played different

I disagree. The small hitbox allows him to make some shots huntress couldn't dream of, and he doesn't have to break the flow of chase in order to reload. And while Deep Wound may not be lethal, its time wasting potential shouldnt be underestimated. I wouldn't say hes an upgrade or downgrade from huntress, he's more of a side-grade.

Well for one, the previously mentioned deep wound slowdown.

Two, the previously mentioned not needing to go out of your way to reload.

Three, Deathslinger is the only ranged killer who can reposition survivors to his advantage. A succesful hit with Deathslinger will have survivors make less distance on you than huntress, cause you're dragging survivors to your exact location.

Four, while he is a ranged killer, his actual hits count as basic attacks, allowing him to benefit from basic attack perks like STBFL, which Huntress cant do as effectively.

Five, while his aiming may be longer than before, its still shorter than the Huntress's hatchet windup.

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 9,393

To call him useless is a stretch. We can start by reverting his TR to 24m and giving him a 30m lullaby like trickster.

also give him some better add ons

• AvilgusAvilgus Member Posts: 1,193

This. At least Huntress can make basement or unhooking in general very difficult, she can also punish bad vaults.

• AltarfAltarf Member Posts: 1,043

Huntress has five hatchets minimum, though. Rarely do you need to reload mid-chase - good Huntresses manage their hatchets beforehand, reloading after a hook or when at 1 hatchet left and not doing anything at that moment. Deathslinger, meanwhile, has to reload after every single shot, killing his momentum and snowball potential - of which Huntress excels at dramatically. Huntress' damage is also instant upon hit, a guaranteed health state, has a short cooldown regardless of a hit or miss, and can damage/down over pallets and windows. And she has an unlimited range. And her add-ons are vastly better than Deathslinger's four useful add-ons. And she practically has a built-in instadown if she's close up and there aren't any pallets nearby, with the hatchet+M1 combo.

Huntress' strengths far, far outweigh Deathslinger's. His Deep Wounds are minimally useful given how he can only inflict one at a time, on a slow-moving killer who needs to constantly reload - his ability to reposition survivors with the Reel is largely negated by the speed burst + weapon wipe + reload time after a successful Reel. The small hitbox does give him something of an edge, but due to the Reel mechanic these shots often don't actually do anything besides inflicting Deep Wounds, giving the survivor a speed burst and wasting the Slinger's time/bullet. Plus, Deathslinger has a ton of weaknesses and downsides tacked on to him, which Huntress lacks.

Huntress' only real downsides to all her incredible strengths are her lullaby, and the need to reload once every couple chases or so. Deathslinger, for a much weaker/less versatile power, has a huge range of downsides. Huge inefficiency, 32m TR with 4.4m/s, inability to guarantee hits from shots thanks to the reel mechanic, a short but lengthy enough ADS combined with the spear's tiny hitbox for attentive survivors to dodge mid-long range shots on reaction, constant reloads and cooldowns, inability to snowball, limited range, limited ADS sensitivity, an audio cue while being aimed at, a single shot and much less forgiveness on that shot compared to Huntress, etc. He's in a sorry state and needs attention.

• Regulus47Regulus47 Member Posts: 146

They literally just increased a number from 0.2 to 0.4 seconds. People are just overreacting, he can still pretty much quickscope and he got a bunch of buffs too! He's got some busted strong add-ons like the cigar and the Exposed one, he can move faster when aiming, he recovers super quick after you break the chain... he's still a BEAST and underrated, just more fair now.

I hope if the developers cave in and buff him, they don't overtune him. I think he's almost perfect! And super fun to play as/against, too!

• FFirebranddFFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,000

Step 1: Revert everything but the additional cool down they added for lowering your gun. The one aspect of Slinger that absolutely did need to go was tapping M2 for free zoning.

Step 2: Nerf his speed while walking backwards and reeling to match how fast he can walk forward while reeling. The main reason quick scoping was a problem was because a Survivor getting reeled with Slinger walking backwards was moving at 6.34 m/s which is too fast to try to do any kind of counter to the reeling.

Step 3: Give him a few small buffs to offset the above nerfs. Maybe make his reloading a touch faster by default.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,895

I don't know how good or bad he is but I don't enjoy playing him as much because his turning speed feels really, really slow while aiming. If they increase his turning rate while aiming I'd like playing him more for sure.

• RemediastRemediast Member Posts: 96

I like his current playstyle. I just think they should make his terror radius 24m with 4.0m/s ads movement speed and quicker default reload speed to enhance that playstyle more.

• Regulus47Regulus47 Member Posts: 146

Actually, I've played him a ton since the rework. He's still good, he just takes more effort than "click on survivor, win chase" now. It's 0.4 seconds to fire and the bullet moves super fast. That's pretty much instant. If it was 1 second or something then maybe I could see what you guys are moaning about, but 0.4 seconds is nothing compared to most killer windups. I hardly even notice it most times.