Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Thoughts on betas? (Experimental mode)

supersonic853supersonic853 Member Posts: 4,255
edited January 4 in General Discussions

I personally loved this feature when it was put into Overwatch because it allowed for quicker feedback on game updates/balance and just testing the waters for certain changes. And it actually includes console feedback as well. They can also test weird changes and other changes they think could work (like wiggle skill check but personally idk if i'll like it on console) and either put it live in the next patch or don't. I just personally love we can get balance updates more often if its like OW's (and more bp is always nice). Whats your opinion on it?

Comments

• oxygenoxygen Member Posts: 2,848

It's absolutely amazing to hear that's coming.

I've always wanted some way for them to test stuff that doesn't involve patching over to a PTB version, and this is a very good way of doing that. No downloads, available to consoles/non-Steam platforms, and even has little rewards for giving whatever they want to test a go.

I really hope they use it a lot.

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 3,384

I do like the idea but Consoles aren't getting smaller updates anytime soon

Cause in order to activate this you would need to check the yes (I do want to partake) and redownload the game (just once)

• Dionysus42Dionysus42 Member Posts: 335

Add a beta to not get matched with anyone using Dead Hard

• brokedownpalacebrokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,002

I'm so excited I hope they have at least one if not multiple betas with every major patch!

• supersonic853supersonic853 Member Posts: 4,255

Im pretty sure the redownload is for steam compression which has nothing to do with the betas. The betas is just another tab in the live game.

"In both cases, these improvements will require you to completely redownload the game. This means there will be a very large download when updating or opting into or out of the PTB. Don’t worry, this is normal! Afterwards, updates will go back to being much smaller."

TL;DR- this update will be a redownload (with the improvements) of the game... but the updates after this one will be smaller.... On Steam only (for right now)

So Console players have to deal with a massive download and update in order to not be apart of the upcoming changes... (Thumbs up) Great

• MandyMandy Administrator, Co-ordinator, BHVR Posts: 19,131

Just to clear something up.

This is not connected to the Beta tab specifically but to the whole update.

We're changing the way things are downloaded so for this update the game will need to be downloaded in full again - yes right now the feature is only active on Steam.

But as everyone has to get the update, the Beta tab is already there then - it's just about opting in, you won't have to download the game again...the things on the Beta tab that will be tested won't require a separate game mode or anything.

I know but still Redownloading the game will be a nightmare for us console players (sorry Freddie) to have access to the beta tab was all I was talking about

I do like the Beta tab idea and hope it's used

• MandyMandy Administrator, Co-ordinator, BHVR Posts: 19,131

yeah but you won't be downloading it for the Beta tab specifically, it will be part of the mid chapter patch which will have to be downloaded anyway....and yeah I appreciate how rough it is to do the full download, hopefully the changes that are being made with the way files are packaged will be added to consoles as well.

edited January 4

Yea... I know that

I hope so as well

What I meant to say was... that this Mid-Chapter patch includes the Betas tab but having to redownload the game in order to get the update (now correct me if I'm wrong) is going to be a Nightmare (sorry Freddie)

• TheMadCatTheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

@MandyTalk I think I'm missing something. The Beta will come with the mid-chapter update, which is tomorrow (Wednesday 5 January) or later?

For the thread, I'm excited about a Beta feature. It's nice to be able to test it on live as I rarely use the PTB. Also, it's pretty nice for console players who can finally test things and giving feedback.