Home Discussions General Discussions

Intentional De-Ranking - What is YOUR Opinion?

Answers

• krayziekkrayziek Member Posts: 21

Just make it where you can lock your rank at whatever you want. That will slow down the de-ranking. But put in rewards like shards and cells that you can get 1 time all the way to rank 1 but put in stops that once you go past it you cant go back below that threshold.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,205

@Condorloco_26 said:
    I think that once you hit R1 at any role, you shouldn't be allowed to derank past R5, not even at reset, save for maybe not logging in months. You hit R6, you won't derank past R10, and so on. After that, I would suggest to open the matchmaking gates to include said five - by - five ranking brackets, so longer queues wouldn't be a thing to worry about.

Reducing the ranks of the rank system doesnt help, the devs already tried this by effectively removing ranks 20-15 from the pool and the only thing that has causes were absurd queue times for beginners.

If you dont allow the majority of the community (rank 1 is a joke) to drop below 5, then I dont wanna be stuck on the lower ranks....... I imagine waiting times ~1 hour

• LCGasterLCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

I think it's annoying.

Good players de-rank to get into easy games and bully lower ranking players, I don't like it.

I personally like to have a challenge, that's why I try my best every game.

I am very annoyed by this because in one case I ended up against the same guy (Killer) three times in a row, after minutes and minutes of waiting for a match, as soon as the match started he would DC; I was so annoyed, I want to play for God's sake.

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 3,659
    Although I'm currently not on board, I have heard rumblings of certain killers planning on going AFK to De-Rank back to (under 10) prior to the 13th as some weird form of counter-protest.

IMO, you don't put out a fire by adding more fuel. 
  • PiiFreePiiFree Member Posts: 1,142

@Condorloco_26 said:
    I think that once you hit R1 at any role, you shouldn't be allowed to derank past R5, not even at reset, save for maybe not logging in months. You hit R6, you won't derank past R10, and so on. After that, I would suggest to open the matchmaking gates to include said five - by - five ranking brackets, so longer queues wouldn't be a thing to worry about.

That's a great idea.

They could also create skill brackets based on how often you reach Rank 1 and then put players together that have similar Rank 1 experience.

Even in Rank 1 there is a huge skill gap between lower and higher skilled players. Players like me that reach Rank 1 literally every season get matched together with players that JUST managed to reach Rank 1 - obviously this creates an uneven playground and even as Killer I must admit that it's tiresome. I don't like stomping players with next to no effort and only on very rare occasions I finally get stomped by actually skilled survivors.

• JesyaJesya Member Posts: 1,041

@Condorloco_26 said:

People will just depip before reaching the rank threshold to prevent that from happening. There needs to be an incentive for people to stay in their ranks so they don't depip to either a) get "better" lobbies with more variety or b) smurf inexperienced killers or survivors

Opening matchmaking up like you suggested would definitely help solve the problem though. I also think there should be bonus bloodpoints given to red ranks or rank 1's for being at that level as a way to incentivize people to stay at those ranks.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,591
    Now that the matchmaking went back to normal, I'm totally against depiping. 

Maybe once we get dedicated servers we get different modes.

We need 3 types of game modes:
    - Casual: less punishing for both sides. More hook stages, gens, camp save zones around the hook, more rewarding to hit&down survivors than to kill them, etc.
    - Ranked: harder to pip than now. More ranks like R6, longer seasons, end of season rewards. 
    - Hardcore: no UI, no scratch marks, no terror radius, no aura reading, no survivor status information for both sides, etc.
  • lasombra1979lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

@Tsulan said:

• Casual: less punishing for both sides. More hook stages, gens, camp save zones around the hook, more rewarding to hit&down survivors than to kill them, etc.
    • Ranked: harder to pip than now. More ranks like R6, longer seasons, end of season rewards. 
    • Hardcore: no UI, no scratch marks, no terror radius, no aura reading, no survivor status information for both sides, etc.

That would actually be great. The only issue I can see would be queue times, esp for solo.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 17,014

It's partly why the rank system is broken and everyone who does it should be banned.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,591

@Tsulan said:

• Casual: less punishing for both sides. More hook stages, gens, camp save zones around the hook, more rewarding to hit&down survivors than to kill them, etc.
    • Ranked: harder to pip than now. More ranks like R6, longer seasons, end of season rewards. 
    • Hardcore: no UI, no scratch marks, no terror radius, no aura reading, no survivor status information for both sides, etc.

That would actually be great. The only issue I can see would be queue times, esp for solo.

I imagine that many people would come back to DBD once we get dedicated servers and a casual mode. 
    This would solve queues. 
  • BigBadPiggyBigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

I feel that as long as your intentions are non toxic and you aren't doing it in a toxic way (Dc'ing, afk, etc) there shouldn't be a problem. The problem arises when people want to be douches.

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 3,659
    The method that is currently being discussed in "the hot seat" involves starting a game with your swf group and instantly DC'ing, costing the killer both add-ons and an offering...which is apparently fine and non-damaging according to a surprising number of "pro" streamers. 
  • artistartist Member Posts: 1,490
    its fine considering rank doesnt really mean much at 1-10. for me I'll derank to avoid getting the same 3 killers because it just gets boring. also I seem to get into more 200 ping games late night at rank 1
  • inkedsoulzinkedsoulz Member Posts: 93

@artist said:
    its fine considering rank doesnt really mean much at 1-10. for me I'll derank to avoid getting the same 3 killers because it just gets boring. also I seem to get into more 200 ping games late night at rank 1

hardly ever happenned, atleast on EU, usually you get a lot of different killers at rank 1.
    Dont know about NA or ASIA.

• artistartist Member Posts: 1,490

@artist said:

hardly ever happenned, atleast on EU, usually you get a lot of different killers at rank 1.
    Dont know about NA or ASIA.

yeah only really late at night or really early tho and those are times I like to play
  • Condorloco_26Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

@PiiFree said:

That's a great idea.

They could also create skill brackets based on how often you reach Rank 1 and then put players together that have similar Rank 1 experience.

Even in Rank 1 there is a huge skill gap between lower and higher skilled players. Players like me that reach Rank 1 literally every season get matched together with players that JUST managed to reach Rank 1 - obviously this creates an uneven playground and even as Killer I must admit that it's tiresome. I don't like stomping players with next to no effort and only on very rare occasions I finally get stomped by actually skilled survivors.

Yes I've made a couple of posts asking for a meaningful ranking system based on skills and stats, for example what's your % of success losing a killer in a chase, how many safe unhooks you've made, what's your kill %, your hooking% etc.

That could be the base to balance the game on: meaningful ranks grouped in brackets. I imagine low rank brackets being more simple and forgiving for new survivors, and adding secondary objectives and difficult skill checks for high ranks, as an example.

But that sounds as a huge rework, and I don't think they would commit the resources needed.

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,016

There should be a limit to how much you can derank. It's practically impossible to legitimately derank more than like 2 ranks (that's like 10 games in a row, would never happen to someone that's not intentionally trying to derank), so you should just not derank more than 2 ranks. It would just stop at the last pip for that 2nd rank. Problem solved.

@Jesya said:

People will just depip before reaching the rank threshold to prevent that from happening. There needs to be an incentive for people to stay in their ranks so they don't depip to either a) get "better" lobbies with more variety or b) smurf inexperienced killers or survivors

Opening matchmaking up like you suggested would definitely help solve the problem though. I also think there should be bonus bloodpoints given to red ranks or rank 1's for being at that level as a way to incentivize people to stay at those ranks.

A ranking based reward system is needed, I agree. Be that BP, shards, certain cosmetics, I don't know. There's so much that could be done about it. There's also the Devotion issue. Right now it means absolutely nothing. Sigh.

@Tsulan said:

Hardcore is a great idea and one I would really like to see added to the game eventually.

• PoweasPoweas Member Posts: 5,873

I don't hate people for doing it but I won't do it myself because I want to improve my skills.

@Master said:

Reducing the ranks of the rank system doesnt help, the devs already tried this by effectively removing ranks 20-15 from the pool and the only thing that has causes were absurd queue times for beginners.

If you dont allow the majority of the community (rank 1 is a joke) to drop below 5, then I dont wanna be stuck on the lower ranks....... I imagine waiting times ~1 hour

I haven't ever experienced unbearable lobby times at R1 killer, with the notable exception of the first week of the hallowed blight event. Other than that, I've always had 2 minute lobbies at the most, even on double bloodpoint days. Could all be a region-based problem?

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,016

@Rebel_Raven said:
    throws a chair

@Brady said:
    vomits on floor

Ahhh.... much better

• BottledWaterBottledWater Member Posts: 241

I used to intentionally De-rank because I loved how free I was able to play, I didn't have to care about kills nor did I have to care about my rank (which was around rank 8 before deranking). It felt nice and was fairly fun especially because I could do little mini-games with the low-rank survivors, for example playing doc making them go Madness 3 and smaking them whenever they fail a skill-check. Or just seeing people not know what Scratched mirror is, and just hitting them once and returning to the shadows making them to paranoid to move alone. I'd say it's ok if you play fair and try to have a good and fun time of survivors, it's scummy if you only play to win and to basically bully the low-rank survivors or killers that is only scummy and ruins the experiece. Playing for fun and not trying to actually kill those surivors can sometimes be a shitload of fun, and it's something you won't see in rank 1, neither will you often meet people who afterwards add you so that you can help them understand the game which I find extremely enjoyable. I stopped doing it tho after I got close to rank 12 after which I just wen't to try and hit rank 1 which I eventually did and where I am stuck right now.

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 1,118
    I do not condone it by any means, however, please understand why high ranked players may be doing this. 
    1. Long ques.
    2. Same old, same old. 
    I don’t like that people are doing it for other means; whether it be survivors who are just starting it out are being brutally destroyed by the killer and can ruin experience for them. Since high ranked players- are relatively new, or haven’t played during the season yet, by no means should they be forced to face killers of red ranks. Not to say it wouldn’t be a learning experience, but the tremendous amount of tutorials online help provide useful information for said player. Remember, all people are playing this game for varying reasons and have differentiating goals from one another. If a red ranked player decides to go up to white purely to bully the people that aren’t as good as them, is much like the well-known issue known as smurfing. The process itself is not only dreadful if the person who is throwing is a survivor; as they wish to stray away from all objectives and blatantly fail to partake in gameplay in order to receive what they wish. I’m not fond of putting my ideas in a controversial topic, but I’m going to regardless.
  • MyNamePeteMyNamePete Member Posts: 764

I never intentionally de-ranked, but I was thinking about it because of the "Evil Incarnate" achievement. If ranking is supposed to be going up against skilled and experienced players because you are high rank too, then I would want to go against my level too and not just because I got lucky in a few games. I don't have much experience with tombstones and I would just get bullied with really good survivors, so I would want to go against survivors with my skill level.

• Detective_JonathanDetective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

@Orion said:
    It's partly why the rank system is broken and everyone who does it should be banned.

What they should do is temp ban everyone who does. Fog Whisperer or not, the devs need to stop being afraid of taking action and they need to show that they aren't fooling around.