Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

New to the forums but not the game. Looking for advice for playing as The Demogorgon .

Usually I play as Michael or Ghostface but occasionally like play as The Demogorgon. I seem to struggle more playing as then I do with the other killers despite being easier supposedly.

I will consider any advice that is given, thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayerThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2021

I can give some advice for the Portals, since getting good at Shred mostly comes with time and practice. Your Portal placement is dictated by your build and playstyle. If you have a build with multiple information Perks, place Portals in hidden places between Generators. If you have a more chase/slowdown oriented build or you are using certain Add-ons (Leprose Lichen and Lifeguard Whistle), it's better to place your Portals right under Generators to guarantee info from them.

As for Shred, as stated above, it mostly comes with time and practice, though it's best used when Survivors are locked in an animation, like vaulting a Window

This is a more in-depth Shred guide, tho it's a bit outdated in terms of Add-ons

Don't worry, Demogorgon has a weird kit with multiple Powers, different states and timings. He's hard at first but he feels amazing when played properly

• Nemmy_WemmyNemmy_Wemmy Member Posts: 762

@ThatOneDemoPlayer what demo builds do you typically use?

I too also love Pyrus. Speaking of him, he should be making some more demo vids soon! (Asked him on his most recent video).

I'm just using meta. Corrupt Intervention, Pop Goes The Weasel, Deadlock and Hex: Ruin

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,915

I’m not a Demo expert, but I know how I enjoy playing him. 🙂 I place his portals near gens and intentionally activate them so that I can use them as on demand radar to get pings on anybody in that area. If they don’t cleanse the portal I can easily use it to get there from across the map. If they do try and cleanse the portal, they are Oblivious while doing it so there’s a decent chance I can hit them in the process, and even if they succeed it takes them 10 seconds to cleanse the portal that I can replace in 2 seconds so it’s still a net gain. Basically this makes zone defense with Demo able to cover a wider area and makes his mid to late game have a lot of pressure on defense.

Of course you can also use the unactivated portals for ambushes since you are Undetectable coming out of them, but to me it’s that radar and teleportation and Oblivious plus 10 second cleanse that I really like.

• lauraalauraa Member Posts: 2,289
    edited January 11

Demo is a flexible killer so you can lean into what's comfortable for you.

Mastering the Shred is essential to get anywhere, but making full use of your portals is something very important that's easy to forget exists.

I personally play Demo kinda like a Scratched Mirror Hag; I play Demo like a trap killer, portaling my Ruin, basement, key generators and other points of interest.

I use Corrupt, STBFL, Ruin and Agitation with Leprose Lichen and its served me well. Gives me plenty of room to play like a scumbag if need be. I had a twitch streamer say they would have preferred going against a Basement Bubba because I camped them to death in the basement while simultaneously harassing generators. STBFL ensures any rescue attempts will be incredibly sloppy.

• Grandpa_Crack_PipeGrandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 2,061

If you scream every time Demo does, it increases your performance by at least 500%.

• BlackRabiesBlackRabies Member Posts: 485

Save the Best for Last is Demos best perk. STBFL, BBQ and corrupt intervention and a 4th perk is mostly free for w/e what i use.

For the timing for the shred of you listen carefully to demo the moment it starts making the hissing sound is when you can lunge with the M2 attack, but it'll be short range.

Demo also has a car tech that demo can do. A charged shred while facing the front of the car hood of a bit of the left/right side you'll fully slide across the hood around the car which often does get survivors. However there's been a change with the cars in the game so I'm not sure myself if demo can still pull out of our not.

Last advice I'll leave look up a YouTube video demo guide by "Bronx" great general advice for playing demo still valid today doesn't go over the add ons much and there's a few add ons that were changed since then.

• lauraalauraa Member Posts: 2,289
  • BenSanderson55BenSanderson55 Member Posts: 196

I second STB4l. Also his brown addons are good so is barbs glasses. Corrupt is good especially if you want to set up portals early. Set portals up somewhat close to gens but hidden behind tiles. You only really should put portals directly by gens when using lifeguard whistle. The enduring/spirit fury build works good on him.

You can use the rat liver add-on and fake a shred (charging of the abyss) to get survivor to juke which slows them down, and keep faking it until they lose distance and hit them normally. You can do this w/o rat liver you'll just move slower.

Check out Bronx demo guide on YT.

• BrokenSouIBrokenSouI Member Posts: 5,234

It's easier to just say stop by stream if you're interested. I play a lot of demo and it's easier to just talk about it.

With that said. STBFL is your friend. And learning where you can hit shreds tbh. It's hard to explain in text.

• BlackRabiesBlackRabies Member Posts: 485
    edited January 11

Demo also has a very fun basement build.

Make Your Choice, Agitation, Iron Grasph or Mad Grit, and Territorial something Huntress perk with the deer lung and rotten pumpkin add on. Get some one in basement and leave a portal at the top and bottom of stairs. When someone on hook leave, char someone else that's away from basement, wait and watch for the Huntress perk to go off then ALWAYS enter the top stairs portal. Time the portal travel correctly so MYC triggers. If top is portal removed you got the back up. Play it correctly and there'll always be someone on hook down there while, camping hook while you're not even there lol.

Edit: the hard counter to this build I've noticed is having a survivor rushing for a basement save shortly after you leave so it doesn't trigger 2 of your perks. Also small maps and being too close to basement will hurt the build.

• VikingDragonXiiVikingDragonXii Member Posts: 1,167

Demopuppy is a good boy to play, I love him and when the Survivors give him head pats it's so much better.

• ChordycepsChordyceps Member Posts: 933

Sometimes threatening to shred is a better move than actually shredding. When you charge up your shred, people will start running to the side to dodge it. When this happens you can actually make distance on them pretty fast and land a regular m1 hit.

Also when survivors are at windows, try to hold your shred until they have actually started the vault animation. Your shred moves quick enough that you can usually catch them mid-animation. Its good to wait until then because survivors could just be trying to bait you into missing a shred and stunning yourself.

• Nemmy_WemmyNemmy_Wemmy Member Posts: 762

You main demo? I'd love to stop by and take a glance. I like watching other peoples playstyles. Idk your twitch tho.

I play variety. But I do play a lot of demo. For sure. It's coty_baker/ttv

Interesting. I've completely gone away from slow down builds.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 5,397

To add on from @ThatOneDemoPlayer said:

Demo is likely my second strongest killer, after Hag. I'm pretty much able to 3-4k at will, barring massive shenanigans or a really bad start.

• STBFL is incredible on him, as you can just shred the obsession.
    • Don't sleep on his Iris. His portal one is amazing for grabbing people off gens.
    • When you see a pallet coming, charge a shred in advance. If you time it right, you'll either break the pallet or sometimes even down the survivor before they can react. Sometimes Dead Hard will mess you up though.
    • Briefly charging a shred is a brilliant way to bait a Dead Hard.
    • Place your portals near gens, but out of sight. If you have excess portals, put them in the middle, somewhere visible. Survivors will often waste a LOT of time clearing these out, and you can poop another out really quickly.
    • Survivors are fully Oblivious while working on a portal. Charge shred every so often to check for killer instinct pops - you'll get a ton of free hits out of this (and scare the pants off that survivor when you shred into them from behind).
    • That said, avoid shredding when an M1 will suffice, unless you have the cooldown addon. A missed shred, especially if you hit something is a worst case scenario for you and usually a failed chase.
    • I really like Plaything+Pentimento+Devour on him. His portals allow him to defend totems easily, especially with his 'Blinder' (Cat+Lighter) or 'Sonar' (Whistle+Lining) addons. Plus, his mori is awesome.
    • Demo is likely the rarest killer in the game now, due to his removal. This means that all but the most experienced survivors have played against him a handful of times max, and maybe not at all. Use this to your advantage.
    • Certain raised areas allow you to shred off them for extreme distances. This can be amazing to make up ground.
    • Shredding can actually be used to catch up on survivors mid chase, and this becomes very effective with Mew.
    • The 'hit' frames of Shred actually seem quite large in front of you. You can very reliably shred people trying to vault, once you get a feel for it.
    • Demo's kit is deceptively complex, and it'll likely take you a good while to get a feel for it. You'll also probably find your own style of playing him - I go for lots of traversal and surprise attacks/pressure, but Otz goes for a more 'battle demo' shred heavy style, which is also effective. That's why I consider him one of the best made killers in the game. No two Demo players will be the exact same.
    • Shred is all about predictions, mindgames and pathing. It'll take a long time to really nail the timing of it. If you use it too predictably, survivors will juke it to the sides. It's at it's best when you come around a corner and a survivor is hugging shack, vaulting a window or running down a corridor.
    • Dead Hard validation will sometimes totally screw you and you'll shred into a survivor dropping a pallet and neither hit them or break the pallet. It's...bloody annoying, but you'll learn to roll with it.
    • Don't forget that you are undetectable for a bit after leaving a portal, and this can be increased to absurd lengths with addons.
    • However, also remember that Demo has some of the loudest ambient sounds of any killer, so don't rely on it too much.
    • Above all - have fun on him! He'll take a while to master, but you'll be rewarded with one of the most versatile, entertaining and rare killers in the game. Demos are rare and good Demos are rarer still!