Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Killers are making the wrong argument

woundcowboywoundcowboy Member Posts: 1,119

We hear over and over again how imbalanced DBD is. Most people would agree that the game is indeed imbalanced and in need of adjustments. As we have seen with some of the recent "experiments", it is possible for killer to do well at high MMR. The problem is, and what killers are not saying, is that the tactics required to do well at high MMR are not fun. Against good survivors, the killer essentially has no choice but to tunnel and camp to make the game winnable. Camping the hook requires no gameplay from killer, and limits the options survivors have to save; the hooked survivor is obviously miserable as well.

Data: The devs and community continually cite statistics to prove how balanced the game is. The obvious major flaw with this approach is that data cannot tell you everything. A tactic/sweat squad can be beatable, while at the same time not being fun to fight. This isn't surprising, since many aspects of society are increasingly relying on statistics (the NFL, fighting game balance, analytics, etc...). In my opinion, everyone on here, needs to be arguing about high level play is unfun, not that it is imbalanced. Hopefully this will inspire the devs to change things up.

Comments

• Steel_EyedSteel_Eyed Member Posts: 3,322

Idk. I enjoy high level oftentimes. Plus there are (or at least were) some literal imbalances.

I’ll start by saying I’m of the opinion that the changes made by the developers have been almost all positive over the last two years.

When I think back, Things I disagreed with at the moment of change, upon rewatching what it was like before to what it is now, makes perfect sense. A recent example is Deathslinger. Watching an old Zubat YT vod of slingers insta ADS was broken and silly.

Watching Hillbillies get one hit downs in a little over a second was broken and silly.

Watching Marth88’s prenerfed Nurse looks sooooo easy compared to the modern Nurse gameplay. That’s back when everyone thought it was a rare unattainable skill.

Players are right to say there are inbalances, but if you ask me, we are at the most balanced moment in this games history.

• SmukSmuk Member Posts: 735

Thing is, who ever say “high mmr games are unfun” gets a reply of how do you know that you are in high mmr.

If you do fair play (no tunnel) you will get bad manners at exit gate. And tunneling brihgs salty end game chat

What makes it unfun?

That it is sort of must have CI or lethal otherwise the gens are gone in 5 - game problem, not players

That a lot of maps are horrible and every match is the same -offerings.

That meta perks are just annoying; DH DS IW COH unbreakable.

I dont mind BT it is legit perk, and regarding DS, I dont see it problematic as it is easy counterable.

The best killer buff would be to rework certain maps, especially safe loops should be reduced in size and pointy pixels that can killer stuck.

Running in a circle for 40seconds before dropping pallet, where each second can be lost regarding clipping vs stucking.

DH can be a lot of times baited out, but prolonging the chase for another loop is just boring af.

1 killer mistake can be a turn table. Survivors can afford much more mistakes.

I personally dont care anymore if i get 4K 8 hooks or 0.

Fellow killers might be in same limbo. Map offerings = you know its gonna be bad time. Which leads to fewer kills, mmr drop, can happen few times in a row, or having a bad game.

Dropping mmr means making lower mmr players tough lobbies. And then here again, we loop and loop and nerf clown and twins

• RaSavage42RaSavage42 Member Posts: 3,227

The perk and Killer powers balance is alright... but the main mechanics are a bit wonky

Ruin/ Pop are being used cause of Regression... Cause base Regression is way to low (some of the reason for them being used together)

Corrupt is being used to "slowdown" the start of the match... Cause map design (and spawns) are bad

Deadlock is being used to "slowdown" multiple Gens being done back to back... Cause again map designs are bad

• Gamedozer7Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 1,848

######### killer have been saying this forever. Survivors are getting mad they are camped and tunneled and killers have been saying that at the level you have to camp and tunnel even know it's not fun. The problem is survivors saying that oh if your good you don't need to camp and tunnel which is clearly not true.

• Lochnload_exeLochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,252

That is basically what the experiments came too. Otz said even at the end of the video about his experiment, and in his twitter, that the complaints shouldn't be about the game being unbalanced, it should be that the game is unfun at high levels.

Even then, that is super subjective and could be said about any high-level game. I think most gameplay at high levels of any game start to get boring. I think the difference in dbd comes down to the fact that MMR punishes you for not getting kills, but technically the ingame grades and rewards do not.

If you want to go for kills that makes perfect sense, seeing as that is how MMR works but also that is literally the objective of killer. If you just go for hooks though, that is honestly the way the game seems like it should be focused, since going for hooks means you get way more BP, and everyone has more fun most of the time.

I think the game needs to just base matches on lasting a little longer. The matches have went from maybe lasting like 15 or 20 minutes to possibly lasting like 8 minutes and less.