Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

I don't think Oni is a top 5 character anymore

2»

Comments

• ActualPainedFrogActualPainedFrog Applicant Posts: 279

Isn't that the point of tier list though? To show how powerful a character can be if you play them very well. because otherwise Nurse would not be at the top because not many people can play her that well.

• Devil_hit11Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 1,573

I stopped playing him and I just play easy mode version of him which is blight. As survivor, I can semi-consistently 1vs1 his entire ability. Oni ability is probably the most over-estimated killer power in the game. With some base-kit tweaks, he could be a lot stronger. Changing iridescent family crest does not move needle for him.

You think Blight is easier? Personally I struggle more with him than with Nurse, although once you get the muscle memory and experience I see how it can be easier.

• BrokenSouIBrokenSouI Member Posts: 5,236

I don't know if I completely agree. Survivors call the shots at the start to get the first hit. But once you get the first hit and bleed them enough for your power. Oni certaifnly calls the shots. A good oni in their power will get their hits. And won't be much survivors can do about it.

He's a solid killer. For sure.

Exactly my thoughts, people seem to forget that even if an Oni loses 4 gens before they get their first hit, he can still kill the entire team in a single demon fury.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

MMR kind of ruined him. He relies on a weak link to feed him M1 hits to get his power. Add maps like The Game and Cowshed and good luck getting a M1 hit against 4 equally skilled survivors.

He's still solid against the average team, just obsolete when Blight exists, especially when hug tech is basically Demon Dash.

• fblurbgfblurbg Member Posts: 78

And here we see concrete proof that opinions can in fact be incorrect.

Good, Lethal is literally only good on Oni and Pinhead, but it's as addicting as shadowborn, use it responsibly and keep your children and loved ones far away from it.

Your comment however, is absolutely correct, Oni is and will forever be the Chad Yamaoka.

• Devil_hit11Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 1,573

from my experience, it took me about 5 days to be average at him when he first came out which is around 15 games. Nurse, Deathslinger and Trickster are way harder mechanically intensive killers that need pinpoint precision on their abilities

Blight is 115% m/s killer that by default has normal m1 game unlike say nurse that moves at 96 m/s. Few tips if your struggling with Blight would be:

-Start by only using 2 dash tokens until your consistent at landing his blighted rush, Don't go for over ambitious dashes at start

-Attack with Blight rush early, Don't use his lunge as if your playing against dead hard.

-Don't use his power at loops at the start, Use his power between loops. After blight breaks pallets, Blight's movement speed is so fast that he often hits survivors before they make it to next pallet. His greatest strength is his ability to counter chaining tiles together and undermine survivor's sprint burst after a health state loss.

-----

Once you've learned his basics. Advance tips

-Start using 3, than 4, than 5 dashes more regularly in chases. Try to predict survivor's movement as you bounce.

-Learn hug tech, Recommend watching Otzdarva blight 50 killstreak. It shows various use cases for using blight's ability at loops, Hug tech is what separates mediocre blights from the best blights. Using blight's ability at loops is essential to mastering blight as it drastically lowers his chase time.

-----

In the end, Blight is all about timing. Once you know when and where to use his ability, Blight becomes more like playing musical instrument. He does not very much mechanic execution, Its bounce, bounce, hit. Flicking his camera angle into blighted rush(a lunge that slides along walls) is about as mechanical as he gets.

With Oni, Oni needs to understand tile strength in the game. Your m1 game is crucial important at Oni, more so than any other killer in the game. By the nature of his m2 being an instant down, Oni's power heavily excels in deadzones and having strong m1 game ensures you remove powerful resources from the map quickly to empower your power to clean up afterwards.

As previous post on thread, Oni has a lot of macro management in regards to survivors. Every m1 hit is 40% of your ability, so two m1 hits is 80% of your ability. You need to memorize the paths you walk as Oni as you create blood orb trails around the map in which you need remember so that you can fill remainder of his power gauge. Finding survivors quickly through process of eliminating is very important skill for Oni because he needs keep the momentum flowing. Every second your not in a chase as him is time that survivors can utilize to heal and finish remaining generators.

Getting to his power in timely efficient is only half the battle. Using his ability effectively is just as important. He has 45 second window in his ability. When Oni is his demon form, Survivors that are injured no longer drop blood orbs meaning that the longer Oni is in his ability, the more detrimental it is for him to get his next demon form. Demon form dash has 2.5 second start-up as opposed to blight's 0.5 second on hitting collision and unlike blight, Oni's looking/viewing angle while dashing is far more restricted. Experienced survivors can dead angle Oni's kambo making it far more difficulty to down them while Oni's demon strike requires surgical precision to curve properly around corners during fast speeds without hitting solid objects. Using demon form is race against time to do most damage as possible in shortest time span. This often results in slugging which forces Oni to manage risk vs reward in term of getting hook states vs disrupting survivor team.

As you can see, Oni is very deep and complex character to learn in order to optimize his kit. At the end of the day, why bother learning the complex hulk that is Oni when you can just press blight's ability every 15 seconds and move at ultra-fast speeds with similar levels of chase potential.

So my advice. Learn blight. Do not bother with Oni.

• BenihimeWrathBenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

Okay, thats cool and all but that doesn't mean anything related to CoH. Most killers can be countered, at least for awhile, with comp dropping every pallet. Thats not unique to Oni specifically.

• GwintyGwinty Member Posts: 806

But Oni is just more fun for me. Blight does not have that buff body and lacks in the "bonk"-department when he downs somebody. Sure, bonus points for the fancy cane but then again, where is Blights fearsome roar and his red glow while rushing? Overall Oni wins.

Now to be a bit serious. Your analysis is quit right. I can not speak for the Blight part, I trust you here, but on the Oni part you are mostly right. Oni can not be played without a descent M1 game. I made the mistake of giving Oni to a friend who never played Killer before and he got mangled because he could not even unlock Onis power...

I would like to add that you have to walk a fine line. You do not want to down your first survivor that quickly, you want to get your power. Even if that means to "wast" the chase. You have to make the survivor believe that you are "bad" and eat some pallets until you have your power. Then comes decision making: Leaving the injured survivor can be the right play, let them drop more blood and down somebody on a generator.

Slugging, snowballing, using Infectious Fright for information if you can make it...faking where you are dashing, flicking...Oni has it all.

Also yes, Onis Demon Strike without dashing is quit the thing. Your camera turns very high and you have to look down, while also messuring the lunge that comes with the strike. While this can get you a down, this can also get you spinned very easy. However there are not that many survivor that deal well with Oni. Most play against him so rarely that they lost much of their skill facing them...his rarity makes it easier...funny...

Blight is by the way no doubt stronger.

Still Oni is a very fun Killer to play and I would not discourage people who have a good M1 game to pick him up. Also he is a fun Killer to face because you can outplay his power and you can have enjoyable chases with him.

• ThiccMickThiccMick Member Posts: 17

I think in the current meta, Plague has probably taken the 5th slot.

• Seth__Seth__ Member Posts: 1,228

I don't play Oni much, is he that really weak now?

I remember pre-MMR... he was praised to be one of the best. My main killer is Leatherface so yeah, huge difference

• ZachcjjjZachcjjj Member Posts: 394

quite honestly doesnt matter if you gave survs a 200% coh when you can just 4 slug as oni in 20 seconds with infectious and good addons

• GwintyGwinty Member Posts: 806

I do not think so. I still have tons of fun playing Oni and get my kill without playing very sweaty. However I have to slug 9/10 games to make something out of my power. Infectious Fright and BBQ are a must to snowball...

Oni is still very rewarding. One single mistake can turn the game around even with 5 generators finished. Survivors seem to have forgotten quit some of his counterplay and get cocky all the time. Oni is brutal in punishing those mistakes and exposing the weak link for blood is the way to go...

Just my personal opinion, nothing to make a definitive rating...

• BrokenSouIBrokenSouI Member Posts: 5,236

When you keep getting downs and getting his power. You're in control. An oni that's good with his power is scary. I understand your point and that COH does make it so they're not injured long. But you're ok as long as you make the most of his power and get downs to create pressure.

• DontNerfDontNerf Member Posts: 990

Tier list's are often biased and subjective rendering them useless in the long run