How can Killers enjoy tunneling?

Comments

• PleassBuiltInNoedPleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 617

nobody enjoys tunneling, unless done out of spite for some reason

people like to win, competetive people like to win

• SparxlostSparxlost Member Posts: 75

with extreme prejudice

• Hektic3000Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

How and why would anyone complain about killers...killing them, its what they do. Accept it and just move on.

• geecageeca Member Posts: 25
    edited February 5

Tunneling happens based on the gamestate and confidence of the killer. If the killer is unconfident they can win playing by the 'rulebook' without tunneling it will start. For instance if there is 1 gen or EGC left then I'm grabbing a survivor and camping them opposite the exit gates. Simply said it can be the optimal play. Sometimes the survivors actually encourage tunneling, if you have one survivor you've never seen all game that's because they've avoided you thus funneling the pressure onto the other three. Sometimes 2survivors will hide and you end up alternating hooks on 2 guys till they die then you have 6 hooks and 2 survivors left to go. Like, if the survivors are just hiding do they expect me go, "okay time to LET THIS PERSON WORK ON GENS and go check lockers for 20 minutes" ??

Personally if I'm in a chase with someone injured that I tracked I'm going after them even if they were unhooked recently unless I'm at 4-5 gens left then I normally abandon chase to give them a little wiggle room to play the game some more.

Everyone has a different definition of tunneling too, if I hook everyone who has not been hiding in a corner once kills are completely fair game in my book. I've killed a mildly popular streamer on hooks 1, 3, & 6 while his team had been hooked once each and was called a tunneler so IDK what people actually think tunneling is.

I've intentionally straight tunneled someone out once because they were being a BM lord and they were not better than me.

tl;dr Tunneling is the product of when the killer's confidence in winning the game dips below their comfort level in the current gamestate or by the survivors own design.

edit: So like in the video this killer is so unconfident in their ability to win the game they spend all of their effort trying to get 1 kill.

• fulltononfulltonon Member Posts: 4,092

every side of game mechanics encourage you to do tunnel, especially hook system.

• WesCravenFanWesCravenFan Member Posts: 1,473

What does the number of gens left have to do with anything?

• ReshyReshy Member Posts: 373

Worth mentioning that this was also a Flashlight SWF, so they were setting themselves up for toxicity when the pig loaded up the lobby seeing that.

• ThatOneDemoPlayerThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,026

No one enjoys tunneling unless it's done out of spite, but winning is fun so Killers that want to win have to tunnel and after a certain point you don't feel bad anymore

• steezo_desteezo_de Member Posts: 988

Plenty of people enjoy tunneling for the simple reason that it gets results most of the time. A lot of these people don't care to get any better and are happy with their skill as long as they can score decently. It's no different than all the FFA arena games where players camp armors and health and spam grenades at spawn points. It works without a whole lot of thinking.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,679

Current gen speed doesn't allow for a slow paced game where everyone has fun.

Years ago, survivors complained for dying with 20k bloodpoints. Now survivors escape with 11k bloodpoints and feel good about it.

Gen rushing benefits no one. The only way to slow down gens is to turn it into a 3vs1. Even Otz said that tunneling someone out early is his bread and butter.

• SunsetSherbetSunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,292

It's more fun than you tbagging and clicky clicking at the exit gates.

• DBD78DBD78 Member Posts: 2,846

Blame the game not the player. If it wouldn't be a good strategy to get rid of one survivor as fast as possible, people would not play like that.

• ThiccBudhhaThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,504

A guilty pleasure of mine is tunneling survivors who are good. I would rather have an intense chase with that one person for 5 gens than 9 separate chases with the other 3.

• MagicalclawzMagicalclawz Member Posts: 14

Its a "GAME".

The person playing killer can play however they want, they dont have to abide by your rules and the same can be said the other way around. Why do killers go into a match not expecting people to be focused on gens???

Why do survivours go into a match not expecting to be tunneled/camped/moried

Whatever side you are playing expect anything and everything and stop taking things that happen in-game personally for godsakes.

The most crybaby community ever istg

Real question is "how can killers NOT enjoy tunneling".

• CarrowCarrow Member Posts: 500
    edited February 5

Some people just never mature emotionally. If they don't 4k every single game that they play they feel that their PP has decreased in size. And since tunneling is the most efficient and reliable way to 4k, it's a predictable end result. They don't care about chasing and having fun, for them, 4k is the only thing that brings fulfillment.

edited February 5

It's opposite, since all the survivors loves gen simulator and escaping at 3 minutes, if you don't tunnel out a person you have no chance to "chasing and having fun", it's literally the only option remaining to play for fun.

Without tunneling, you'll likely to get 5 gens done within sub two digit hit or so... I mean don't expect everyone to playing at low MMR, even if you are playing on extremely low MMR.

• Lat0Lat0 Member Posts: 92

They are terrified of losing so they tunnel at 5 gens against the most casual players

You have no idea how many people quit the game because of these sweaty losers

• lonesomekilllonesomekill Applicant Posts: 246

Why is chasing a survivor considered tunnelling? I mean i dont single out one player but my job is to kill. If i focus on one until i down them is that considered tunnelling or focusing. I down them, hook, move on to nearest player, chase, down, hook.am i supposed to run away from survivors after a 10 second chase?

• dictepdictep Member Posts: 1,160

If you feel better you could tunnel, but yes, it’s tunneling

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 7,892

If I have a choice between hitting an injured survivor and hitting a healthy survivor obviously I’m going to down the injured one. And if I have a chance to hook one survivor twice versus hook two survivors once I’ll hook the one survivor twice because that gets them closer to being eliminated which is huge.

That being said, a key skill killers have to learn is when to break off chases against strong runners. If the survivor you’re chasing is clearly going to take a long time to hit then you’re usually better off switching targets and trying to get a different survivor out of position or finding a weaker opponent to chase. Taking out the weak links first forces the strong survivors to spend time rescuing and healing them rather than being on gens. And once you’ve eliminated a weaker player now you have more time to focus on actually catching the strong ones.

So if you find yourself as a killer chasing one survivor for a long time without getting a hit, consider breaking off to chase someone else. With any luck you’ll hit them more quickly, and if the survivor you chased is particularly cocky they might even just follow you around trying to distract you instead of doing gens in which case you’re keeping two survivors off gens with a single chase.

• lonesomekilllonesomekill Applicant Posts: 246

So i should run away after a short chase? Just need clarification