Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

Killer Add-ons that literally hurt the Killer.

R1ch4rd_N1x0nR1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,611
edited February 6 in General Discussions

Some Killer Add-ons, despite being designed to help you, in fact do not help you and instead work against you. Excluding "meme Add-ons" that are intentionally designed to work against you, here is a list of Killer Add-ons that you should never, ever use because they hurt you.

Trapper Sack (Trapper) - place a trap and it's there for the rest of the game. There is so much room for Survivors to use this against you.

Tuner Carburetor (Hillbilly) - being turned into a 110% speed Killer is NOT a good thing.

Matchbox (Nurse) - woopty doo, you get to be a little faster, but lose your MOST IMPORTANT TOOL, chain blinking.

Scratched Mirror (Shape) - while a fun Add-on to use on indoor maps, being forced to stay in Tier 1 is NOT fun when people decide to loop you. You'll be looping that pallet for years.

Tombstone Piece, Judith's Tombstone (Shape) - makes you take much longer to get to Tier 3, in exchange for the ability to kill Survivors on the spot. That is, if they don't decide to hop in a Locker and deny your kill entirely.

Bog Water, Bloodied Water, Bloodied Mud (Hag) - you literally don't want the trap trigger range to be bigger, because if it is, the person will be further from the trap when you teleport to it and thus you're more likely to miss. Any average Hag player should know this.

Scarred Hand, Waterlogged Shoe (Hag) - losing the ability to teleport is A BIG DEAL. The tradeoff simply isn't worth it. When these 2 Add-ons are used together, it can be fun, but nonetheless, it's not as good as normal Hag would be.

Scrapped Tape (Doctor) - who on earth would want the shock to be a ring shape? Apparently someone who wants to miss.

Knife Scratches, The Beast's Marks (Cannibal) - taking longer to charge your chainsaw is a HUGE DEAL. The bit of extra speed is not worth it because you're quite frankly already fast enough when using the chainsaw.

Garden Rake, Prototype Claws, Paint Thinner (Nightmare) - dream pallets are a sick joke. Dream snares are where it's at.

Last Will (Pig) - the dash takes long enough to charge as it is. Extra charge time is not worth the barely noticeable extra speed you get from this Add-on.

Amanda's Secret (Pig) - pointless Add-on. You no longer get to see your boxes, but get to see someone's aura when they remove a trap. Generally, they're gonna do this pretty far from you, and will be long gone by the time you get there. And if they do it nearby, chances are you're gonna know anyway because someone searching a box is quite loud.

Deer Lung (Demogorgon) - your portals are very important. Losing 1 is already bad enough, but losing 2 is just a joke. It simply isn't worth the slight teleport speed increase you get in return.

Renjiro's Bloody Glove (Oni) - oh yeah, let the Survivors absorb your blood orbs and prevent you from collecting them yourself to get your power. GREAT IDEA.

Soured Milk, Madeleine's Glove (Twins) - give Victor a bigger shriek radius so Survivors will get an earlier warning that he's coming, oh yeah that's REALLY helpful isn't it?

Chatterer's Tooth (Cenobite) - who the hell would rather be undetectable than have chains attack Survivors for them? We have plenty of perks for being undetectable, which don't have a downside, unlike this Add-on.

Do you disagree with any of these? Or have any more to add to the list? Again, meme Add-ons that are meant to hurt you, like Speed Limiter, are exempt from this list, due to being obvious.

Comments

• konchokkonchok Member Posts: 1,621

The add-ons you listed give a giant upside to the downside. Sometimes the upside isn't justified to the downside and in those circumstances changes are due, like recently with Blights adrenaline vial. But when balanced correctly these end up being really awesome add-ons.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0nR1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,611

Yes, some do give an upside, but oftentimes the downside outweighs the upside.

I was tempted to put that one on the list, but was unsure if it's downside truly outweighs it's upside.

• ThatOneDemoPlayerThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,183

Definetly. Demogorgon's strongest aspect is his late/endgame. Deer Lung ruins that. You can't 3-Gen, protect Exit Gates or use them for mobility anymore, you have to choose 1, and 1 isn't usually enough

• Steel_EyedSteel_Eyed Member Posts: 3,516

Hillbilly has many more than listed. Every purple has a significant drawback. 110 movement speed might be the worst.

Has to be overheated for two of his addons to work. Painstaking. Agitating to do that mid chase to receive a mid chase bonus.

Two of his green addons are activated by survivors. The killer player doesn’t get to decide when to use them. Just fingers crossed. Btw a Billy can avoid all blinds through the use of his chainsaw. The killer has to allow them to blind them.

Engravings. These are popular for some reason but the hindrance of these, especially double engravings is close to auto lose. I’ve talked to many Billy players and they don’t mind losing with these (as they often do). No wonder survivors ‘love’ curve Billys.

While his Add-ons that require an overheat are bad, they do not technically HURT Hillbilly, which is why I did not list those. This list is for Add-ons that directly give you a disadvantage.

I'm not the biggest Artist main, so take this with a grain of salt.

Ink Egg (Artist). 1 extra Dire Crow sounds great, but the cooldown is so long that you're never going to use it. The decrease in the idle duration also hurts.

• Steel_EyedSteel_Eyed Member Posts: 3,516

It takes a long time to m2 cancel to overheat (losing distance mid chase to have a mid chase effect). Then once he is overheated he loses the ability to chainsaw. The add ons are detrimental and doubt they ever see use.

They only hurt you if you go out of your way to try and use them. If you don't do that, it's as if you have no Add-on at all.

• BrimpBrimp Member Posts: 1,534

Well i'd argue that tuned carb is good for a curving billy as its literally 110 crack billy but with each map rework or being added just makes curving 10 times harder.

• glitchboiglitchboi Member Posts: 5,416

I personally like add-ons that change aspects of a killer's kit, like Matchbox, Scratched Mirror, the dream pallet add-ons, and Chatterer's Tooth. Chatterer's Tooth is what I love the most because it almost feels like you're playing a new killer, where you have to collect an item in order to surprise survivors.

I think Tuned Carburetor is a lot stronger than given credit for, it's been buffed a few times and it's not too bad. It allows you to use the chainsaw a lot more and it feels pretty good with the lower charge time.

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 4,398

I disagree that Bloody Glove is a downgrade. It's extremely good information and you still get Blood Orbs all over the place, so it's not too bad of a penalty to your collecting. Also, there is no way in hell that Tombstone Piece is a downgrade. Nobody's going to jump into a locker for that first kill, which is the one that matters with this addon. It's not clear enough that you have the addon and the ever-touted 'warning stance' is linked to lower movement speed, not having an instant kill available, which doesn't apply with Piece.

Nominating Plague's Prophylactic Amulet. Makes it easier for survivors to reset your fountains and less likely there will be a fountain nearby. It's only helpful if you only get Corrupt Purge by letting survivors reset your fountains, and that's a bad idea for so many reasons.

• OpenXOpenX Member Posts: 890

Yeah I don't mind Tuned Carb + Engravings; pretty fun with a map offering.

I definitely hard disagree on him thinking the 3% extra speed add-on isn't worth it for Bubba. Consider a 4% speed penalty literally made two of his add-ons worthless until they got buffed to a 2% penalty last patch.

It makes him significantly scarier at loops in my opinion.

• DoritoHeadDoritoHead Member Posts: 3,336

Knife Scratches, The Beast's Marks (Cannibal) - taking longer to charge your chainsaw is a HUGE DEAL. The bit of extra speed is not worth it because you're quite frankly already fast enough when using the chainsaw.

When Beast's Marks used in combination with Award-Winning Chili, you can pull off some absolutely nasty plays that just aren't possible without the little bit of extra speed.

Have you tested to see if the new buffed add-ons are any good? I didn't wanna try the 4th charge one since a 22% penalty seems pretty hefty. Haven't used the buffed Carb either since I hate using full charges for 1 pallet.

• BlackRabiesBlackRabies Member Posts: 548

Lot of these add-ons may hurt the killer in some way and they can be amazing, but very niche to use if played right.

Deer Lung with rotten pumpkin when playing basement demo so you're always camping the basement even if your no where close to it with that huntress basement perk and Make your Choice. Very fun combo to use.

The add ons that give Victor a bigger shriek radius, ehhhh... I pretty sure that's his passive shriek when he's dormant not when he's running around active so that's a bigger range that he can detect incoming survivors so it's a fairly good add-on when using victor to camp areas of the map. (unconfirmed)

• BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,090

Half of the mentioned addons there are questionable, it seems you dont have much experience with these Killers so therefore you dont see the potential of their upside, I would recommend you to play with these addons atleast or try to watch guides and understand how the killer is properply played with these addons.

Even with a Basement build, Deer Lung isn't worth it. Rotten Green Tripe is the same to a lesser degree without the huge drawback

• DoritoHeadDoritoHead Member Posts: 3,336

Buffed Carb is bugged and you go extremely slow while using it.

Depth Gauge Rake (the 4 charge one) is decent but overshadowed by other addons.

The fact you are saying tombstone piece is bad is legit baffling. Once you hit 130% movespeed with PWYF survivors barely have time to get to a locker if you surprise them.

Trapper sack is a beastly addon, especially with the self resetting traps. What other killer can spawn in and essentially delete 8 undropped pallets right off the bat?

Chatterers tooth is also really good. You might lose some chain hunts but it's a huuuuuge undetectable duration and you get all the survivors locations. I usually use an indoor map offering with it and then you are golden. I feel like you could probably do some really cheesy stuff with it + iri lament configuration. Get a hook near it and you could just AFK facecamp while the passive chain hunt keeps people off the gens. Haven't done too much testing though.

• BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,090
    edited February 6

ye and I tell you that half of them are actually fine, instead of reading and instantly complain maybe go try to understand how to use them, this game is not supposed to hand you everything on a silver platter.

• KolbyKolbyKolbyKolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 496

Chatterer's Tooth was what helped me get Adept Cenobite because it gave me very valuable tracking.

• AhoyWolfAhoyWolf Member Posts: 3,486

I think Dream Pallets are fun, not as strong as Snares, but they are a fun add-on to use.