Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

What is the point of the keys now?

PirulukPiruluk Member Posts: 497

I couldnt get any value from keys since the nerf.

1, Has to be the last survivor since Hatch only spawns if everyone else dead or left(at worst case means that you have like 10-20 sec to find it)

2, Hatch has to be closed by killer(since it spawns open so no need for key), and then you can search for the hatch use the key

Comments

• RumaRuma Member Posts: 1,985

It still has more use than a mori since a key can still clutch when exit gates are once again way too close together while moriing is hardly worth it since no hook will be destroyed, no perks activate and more often than not hooking is simple faster.

• MrPeanutbutterMrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 818

Yep, they are pretty useless now and that’s not a bad thing. I’d rather just have them deleted altogether because I never use them as survivors. When playing killer, having 2-3 survivors escape without completing the gens was one of the most frustrating things in the game and I’m glad that’s gone. I’d be fine adding something else to make the keys a bit more useful, but free escapes for multiple survivors was BS.

• FirelliusFirellius Member Posts: 1,957

Mori still has value if someone gets saved off second hook in the EGC and still has their DS.

But yeah, Moris and keys are both terrible.

• Jacoby2041Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 841
    edited April 19

I think it'd be nice if the hatch spawned (closed) after the gates are powered

Post edited by Jacoby2041 on
  • PirulukPiruluk Member Posts: 497

Once every gen is done, hatch should spawn

I played like 10 games and never saw hatch spawn, endgame collapse almost finished, and still several survivors stay.

• RainehDazeRainehDaze Member Posts: 1,293

Why, to give the Killer one more way to lose for not having precognitive ability?

• anarchy753anarchy753 Member Posts: 3,969

Moris still have the slight benefit of avoiding some perks in the late game, keys have the benefit of some pretty powerful aura reading abilities and the chance to escape even once the hatch is shut.

Point is, you deserve neither a kill nor an escape you didn't work for just because you brought an item/offering.

• Harold_ShipmanHarold_Shipman Member Posts: 728

The aura reading on keys needs expanding massively, there are basically 3 addons that make the keys have any use at all now that he hatch functionality is pretty much useless, and one of these is terrible. Also, the green key lasts longer than the purple key, that makes no sense anymore.

I think the survivor aura reading addon should be part of the base key, make green 5 seconds and purple 10 seconds, and even then theyd still be the worst items to take along, but at least not completely useless.

• SimfelizSimfeliz Member Posts: 1,580

"Point is, you deserve neither a kill nor an escape you didn't work for just because you brought an item/offering."

Why though? Isn't that the point? You bring an item or offering that might help you in game?

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 11,829

Their only use is to clutter the Bloodweb for Survivors even more, because you not only have Keys which get barely any use, but also a bunch of Add Ons you will most likely never use again.

IMO they should have buffed the Add Ons at least when doing the Key Change, I always liked the idea to have Maps as Aura Read-Objects for the Environment and Keys as an Aura Read-Object for the players.

• Dionysus42Dionysus42 Member Posts: 335

Why complain about Keys? Flashlights are 'literally the weakest survivor item', so obviously keys aren't even the weakest item.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 11,829

Both are pretty pointless when it comes to their actual function. However, what makes Flashlights weaker is that they are not only pointless against a somewhat decent Killer, but players also waste their time to try to go for Flashlight-Saves or try stupid things like CJ-Techs. Which is not the case if they equip a Key.

• Dionysus42Dionysus42 Member Posts: 335

Flashlights also offer big advantages against specific killers like Artist and Hag, which is something Keys don't have.

• PepsidotPepsidot Member Posts: 1,367
    edited April 19

Like I said when keys got nerfed I would have liked it if they kept it so when all the gens are done the hatch spawns (regardless of how many survivors are alive). At least it'd be a bit more useful then and could lead to some clutch moments.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 6,520

Not just in endgame collapse with Decisive Strike. For example, if I down someone who is on deathhook and they’re under a pallet, normally if pick them up there’s a risk I’ll get pallet stunned. Or there’s always a chance someone might blind me for a save when I pick them up. Moris make it possible for me to just kill them outright no matter where I down them or what perks they have or what the other survivors are doing. It’s definitely a small but non-negligable benefit, at least for the Red and Green moris. (The yellow mori is almost worthless, although I actually did avoid a Decisive Strike escape with it the other night so even that on rare occasions pays off.)

• PlaysByShadyPlaysByShady Member Posts: 568

That's literally what it used to be. And it was broken. One key meant all 4 survivors could escape out, with nothing you can do about it.

So, no!!

The issue with the old keys was a single key allowed multiple survivors to escape. It wasn’t uncommon for survivors in a swf or even savvy solo survivors to just follow the key holder after the killer closed a hatch and all escape down it for an easy win at that point.

The new version of hatch where it only spawns when only one survivor is left is probably a little weak, I agree. It could spawn when all the gens were done, BUT in that case I would also make it so:

• it spawns closed and only opens when one survivor is left
    • And if a survivor uses a key the hatch lets only that survivor escape and then it immediately recloses behind them. So the key is only an easy escape at that point for the survivor holding the key, not everybody else.

I’d be ok with that system as a killer personally. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve always thought both flashlight and keys and even maps are fairly weak items generally speaking compared to tools and medkits. An interesting idea would be to fold various map functionalities into either keys or flashlights and get rid of maps altogether.

• Eliminating maps as an item would reduce bloodweb clutter
    • Combining a map-like effect with a key or flashlight where when you use the item you see a corresponding aura would make them a bit more useful and help bring them up to par with the stronger items
    • And thematically the idea that if you shine a flashlight it highlights a nearby prop or a mystical key that acts like a compass is kind if interesting.
  • PepsidotPepsidot Member Posts: 1,367

Hopefully I'm remembering correctly but the real problem with the old system was that 3 survivors could escape without finishing the last gen and 2 survivors could escape without finishing the last 2 gens (if they were the only survivors left in the trial).

This caused e.g., a 2 man SWF to just let others die and escape with 2 gens left. I may have done this a few times with my friend with Plunderers if the game went south quickly.

Nevertheless I think spawning the hatch once all gens are done would be a nice buff and maybe increasing the hatch open window from 10 to 15 seconds (once opened with a key).

• JoByDaylightJoByDaylight Member Posts: 429

When they reworked the hatch they should also change the challenges.. I believe that the Devs are laughing at me now for not doing the "Escape through hatch"-challenges earlier. I always felt they were toxic and I didn't like to bring a key to end the game early just my own sake. Now these challenges are almost impossible.

• JoByDaylightJoByDaylight Member Posts: 429

I agree with this!

The problem was not the hatch spawning itself, it was a whole team escaping before the end of the trial.

• VikingDragonXiiVikingDragonXii Member Posts: 1,395

That's the thing that would put toouch pressure on the killer because they won't know where the hatch is and that makes a 3Rd thing to try and keep a eye on when there are also 2 doors that could be opening as well. Personally the hatch for the last person is fine imo, and keys are not too bad to use as long as you let the Killer get far enough away from the hatch or that RNG dosnt put the hatch in a spot that the killer can see a mile away.

*Memories of trying to open a hatch with a huntress with the accuracy of a spec ops sniper*

So many hatchets......

• sizzlingmario4sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 2,627

There’s not much point now.

They could use an addon rework and maybe even gain some sort of extra baseline effect (at least so green keys aren’t completely useless on their own), but reverting the hatch nerf is not the solution.

• dictepdictep Member Posts: 839

I see at least a mori every day. But I haven’t seen a key since devs killed them

• PirulukPiruluk Member Posts: 497

If you find a key in chest, thats like finding trash. Good for nothing

• DrDeepwoundDrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,487

When we get old moris back you guys can have old keys back.

They were both unhealthy for the game.

• toastcrushertoastcrusher Member Posts: 110

nothing, another thing that killer mains destroyed.....the amount of fun clips that came out of the hatch was funny as hell.....but gone it is.