Home Dead by Daylight Forums Technical Issues

Really bad stutters after Apr 27th patch

HoovahDamHoovahDam Member Posts: 1
edited April 28 in Technical Issues

Im on PC, my PC can run the game fine and I keep getting microstutters like I'm stuck on collision. This has caused me to miss swings, vaults, as well as get downed. A gen popping for example causes my game to lock up sometimes.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Dwight_FairfieldDwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 5,824

PC is getting lag issues now too?

• Chaos999Chaos999 Member Posts: 513

Well, no problems for me. Wonder what the problem could be....

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 5,882

Yeah, the game feels worse. It's hard to tell the difference on Switch, because it's always bad, but I definitely feel it on PS4. The framerate is stuttering and more frames seem to be dropping. Played on the Eyrie just now and it felt particularly awful.

• LemonwolfLemonwolf Member Posts: 69

I noticed this too. Its like rubberbanding sometimes.

That leads to really weird stuff happening like even stranger hits through pallets.

• MalkhrimMalkhrim Member Posts: 507

I just got permanently bugged on two matches in a row now after lagging for a moment. This wasn't happening before this patch, even if I lagged.

• drsoontmdrsoontm Member Posts: 2,447

I'm getting a lot of stutter too, on every map.

My machine is relatively powerful and I have a good connection. (2950x, 64GB, RTX2080, ~32ms to the servers)

It doesn't seem to be power-related (FPS stays the same).

It feels more like a hiccup from the network but it happens with other players in the 60ms ping range too.

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 10,623

Tried increasing virtual memory?

For some reason, and I have absolutely no idea why, this seems to help.

I've got 64 GB of RAM. The whole game image fits in the file cache.

This issue doesn't come from the user's hardware. The rubber banding suggestion from @Lemonwolf fits.

• GMan79GMan79 Member Posts: 186

I'm in on that.

Also checked connection with 2.5 or 1.0 gigabit LAN ports. provider settings. NAT type is open, game is on an NVME Drive, and for the kicks I also tested it on a normal HDD. issue is still present.

• Nico_0Nico_0 Member Posts: 112

Same I'm getting a lot of rubberbanding since this patch.

Also I found one non snuffable boon totem in disturbed ward, and an unpickable survivior next to a rpd hook

• MavericksMavericks Member Posts: 84
    edited April 30

This game is unplayable after the patch. My character keeps getting stuck and it feels like I have 300+ ping but I have 100.

• hatchetChuggerhatchetChugger Member Posts: 196

I was playing blight and it straight up cancelled my rush. ######### bhvr

• noonespecialnoonespecial Member Posts: 31

Same here, I get this kind of stutter once or twice per trial. After having fixed the random freezes of my PC (disabling the Windows GPU Hardware Acceleration seems to have done it for me), this is another thing that keeps me from fully enjoying the game. I have a powerful system as well, but I'm gonna try increasing my virtual memory anyway and see if that works. Will report back.

• SilentRobinSilentRobin Member Posts: 1

I'm also having the same issue (on killer) and a streamer i watch (CoconutRTS) is also having the same issue. It wasnt like this before the update.

Increasing the virtual memory does nothing for me. Tried 8 GB and 12 GB, the game still stutters at least once a trial.

• RyuzakiRyuzaki Member Posts: 676

I hope this issue is resolved in the next hotfix, when the stutter occurs I am unable to move.

PC specs: Ryzen 5600X, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia 3060 Ti.

• SavvyKatSavvyKat Member Posts: 6

Having the same stutter, similar to a rubber band, frequently throughout games. Also getting a CTD with no error logs, but I'm unsure if it's related. Sometimes I get the stutter and crash right after though.

• VegasRalphieVegasRalphie Member Posts: 33
  • ZozzyZozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Also getting this stutter and weird hits at pallets etc. Cpu usage has also skyrocketed. I am still on an i7 4790k and the highest it ever got was 70% usage in this game. About 1 or 2 weeks before the update i had some odd behaviour with my cpu and now it sits at 80-100% usage.

I've got 96GB RAM.

And it STILL helps. Because the game is dumb and uses it once it hits 8GB.

Those are rookie numbers. I use 16GB min, 32GB max AND a windows managed file.

• LemonwolfLemonwolf Member Posts: 69

"If" this works it cant be along term solution.

There is clearly something wrong with the game since the latest patch.

Friends have it, i have it and a lot of twitch streamers as well.

So this isnt an isolated problem.

I am playing this game on a workstation with loads of Cores, RAM and 16 GB GPU RAM and its still happening.

Thats not normal.

• HungryHungryHippieHungryHungryHippie Member Posts: 22

I too am getting these random stutters. Having no issues in any other game.

Ryzen 7 3700X / RTX 2080 Ti / 32GB RAM / Game is installed on SSD

• SavvyKatSavvyKat Member Posts: 6

How exactly is your game using 8 whole gigs of RAM in the first place? That sounds like a problem in of itself let alone the fact that it apparently switches to paging after hitting 8 GB which should really be fixed if that's a thing. My game only uses a little less than 2 GB roughly 1.6-1.7 no more. Not sure what your logic is on having such a large page file is in the first place if you really have 96 GB of RAM. You really won't ever need it outside of efficiency and you would frankly want to keep the page file fairly low. Just let windows handle your page file size.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt though and tried with a page file of 16 GB to no avail. I still stutter.

But you realize that this is definitely not the way it should be, right? Dead by Daylight is no Triple A game, and even that would never justify the need of 96 GB RAM and several virtual memory files almost as big as the game itself. It's clearly a flaw in game design and should be fixed, if the need of as much memory is what causes the stutters. 96 GB of RAM is insane, honestly. I don't know where you're living, but in Germany high-end gaming PCs never come with more than 64 GB, because that's a ridiculously high number already. I know you're not responsible for the flaws in the game, but recommending this as a solution instead of just acknowledging that there's a problem in the game that should've been fixed rather yesterday than tomorrow is almost an insult to any DbD player really, and it doesn't help at all.

For the record, the 8GB and use page file thing is NOT DbD specific. It does it on other games too. So people saying "oh but that's not normal and bhvr should fix it..."

Yeah, yeah it is normal. It's only the past couple of years where games have started geting close to 8GB RAM usage. And yes, it's also stupid.

Hey... hey...

Did you know you can use a PC for things OTHER than gaming? I know, crazy right? Like how Adobe Premier uses more than 32GB easily, and often close to 64GB... which is why I have 96GB RAM (and i'm looking at upgrading to 128GB).

And yes, I will recommend increasing virtual memory as a potential fix. You know why? Because it HAS worked and it's FREE. It's not like i'm telling people to go out and buy more RAM.

All I can say is, on this system (the 96GB RAM one), and the other system (which has 64GB RAM), increasing the paging file has helped a LOT. I keep one on an SSD I don't use much, one on an NVME drive (usually the windows one), job done.

If people are STILL getting stutters, then they need to play the game with task manager open and look for spikes to try and identify the problem.

edited May 2

A few notes.

I've played at the minimal setting and the game resident memory never goes beyond 4.2GB (I'm wondering if this can be increased)

So, I have 64GB of RAM on this machine. Needless to say, the computer has no crapware installed and windows doesn't try any shenanigans in the background.(This machine was built first and foremost to bake UE4 maps)

The virtual memory suggestion screams page faults so, naturally, I've tested that.

My goal tonight was to get stutters and look at the resource manager.

I've tried with a fixed 64GB swap, with no swap, with 8GB swap.

In almost all instances there was a slight bump of faults happening.

The 64GB swap setup had several stutters and I saw the game get 6 page faults (hard faults in W10 terminology) for the worst one.

The no swap setup had two stutters and a lot of page faults when a survivor dropped a flashbang. (I'm guessing the engine is reading assets by mapping them directly to memory)

The 8GB swap setup had one stutter. (The best so far)

I've tried both on a SATA SSD and on an NVME.

Tomorrow I'll try again with 8GB SWAP and give a Haddonfield offering (as I'm certain that one triggers them)

My last test will be to let windows handle it.

I've also checked the other resources each time but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

There has always been at least 32GB of free memory during the test.

I'm wondering if increasing the streaming memory pool could help.

• BlizzBlazzBlizzBlazz Member Posts: 9

Just wanted to say that this is interesting because I was getting strange stutters in the last patch, with all files validated, but now it's been pretty smooth.

That's really interesting. I need to dig into the UE4 docs and see if we can increase the streaming memory pool via command line flag.