Home Dead by Daylight Forums PTB Feedback Archives 6.0.0 PTB Feedback

NIGHTFALL: Expectation v. Reality

KayTwoAyyKayTwoAyy Member Posts: 765

I really thought we had something cool there for a minute...

Comments

• ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 4,652

It's really not that bad considering his actual main power is pretty damn strong. I don't think it needs to be stronger honestly.

• KayTwoAyyKayTwoAyy Member Posts: 765

I haven't played PTB myself, so I can't speak for the Dredge's other abilities, but the little gameplay I've watched did make the killer look strong.

That said, a killer who essentially blackouts the map is more exciting to me than one who plays like the hag, artist, and freddy combined into one--especially when these are powers Sadako should have been given.

Personally, as someone who dropped DBD months ago but has been hawkeying the updates to see if its worth my time returning, this killer is a massive missed opportunity and not something that will be bringing me back. Their average active players are at less than half its peak in 2021, and down 10k from last year (PC stats). If they're hoping to bring people back they need to provide a new and unique experience--not more of the same.

• Mat_SellaMat_Sella Member Posts: 3,090

The entire fantasy was based on Darkness and fear and that was not delivered.

Sure, The Dredge gets teleporting abilities which brings it up a notch on the ladder, but that doesn't make them immersive or fulfills the killer players expectation of nightmare incarnate

• ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 4,652

I mean that's fair. But I personally like how he is right now, having a pretty strong power that gives him great map pressure and even some anti loop that isn't oppressive or anything though. This is honestly as good as it can get when it comes to killer design in my opinion.

However, a dev has said that the vision range will be reduced and is further than intended right now. And that the glow on the Dredge is also more intense than it should be. So he will indeed have his Nightfall buffed a bit when he goes live. Which is surely good, and shouldn't end up making him op, but I hope they don't overdo it. I do think survivors need a decent range at which they can still see their surroundings. Otherwise his base power might need some nerfing, but then he might be countered by filters or what not, and obscuring vision too much will just be harsher on newer players than on experienced players.

So while I understand it would be nice to make Nightfall a bit more of a threat, gameplay and balance wise it definitely shouldn't be too oppressive. A killer in particular shouldn't rely on a feature like obscuring survivors visions too much, so it would be a shame if they had to nerf his base kit in some way because of Nightfall being too strong.

• KayTwoAyyKayTwoAyy Member Posts: 765

If the existing playerbase enjoys the killer, then I think its a win for BHVR.

I'm always willing to conceed that my time in DBD has just run its course. Its only in noticing that my departure is part of a larger trend that I feel obligated to share my opinions, so the devs know what is most likely to bring someone like myself back to the game.

I agree with you when you said "a killer ... shouldn't rely on a feature like obscuring ... vision too much." We've seen with Plague (and to a lesser extent, with Legion and Oni), how a killer can feel extremely underwhelming when survivors soft-lock them out of using their power. If Nightfall as I've depicted it is all the Dredge has, the killer would feel very weak once survivors learn how to play in the low light conditions.

I suppose I'm confident that players can learn how to play the game with a limited depth of field, and after some time Nightfall serves only as a challenge for those with little experience against it.

• ObeltObelt Member Posts: 281

Dev janick said that expectation would be "unplayable and unfun" during testing

• AraphexAraphex Member Posts: 460

Isn't DBD a horror game? There's another game that just came out that is asymmetrical horror and some maps are pretty dark... Game is extremely playable and fun. Don't see why the devs don't learn from the best. *sigh*

• IlliterateGenocideIlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 4,051

Just because it a horror game does not mean it needs to be unbalanced to make it scary. plus it was allready confirmed to be bugged and much more dark when fixed

• AraphexAraphex Member Posts: 460

Making it darker isn't making it unbalanced. Evil Dead: The Game has some maps that are super dark the entire time, Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes you can barely see anything, Resident Evil 7 & 8 the same, so many horror games are as dark as the expectation and aren't unbalanced. Not sure where you get the idea that it would be unbalanced. We will have to see what it's like when they "fix" it. But hopefully they learn to take risks and make it dark because I would definitely jump back into the game as survivor (and killer maybe) and play.