Thoughts on Evil Dead the Game
So now that Evil Dead the Game has been out for a bit I’m curious what people are thinking of it? I gave it a try and it seems decidedly ok, not great but not bad.
- It’s much less like Dead By Daylight than it is like Left 4 Dead. Anybody thinking DbD and Evil Dead are “the same game” is way off. Really the only things they have in common is being 4v1 action games. They couldn’t play more differently beyond that. I can easily see some people liking one over the other either way purely because of their playstyle preferences.
- Evil Dead matches seem longer than DbD. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on how much time you like investing per match.
- Character variety on the Demon side is much less than in DbD. And honestly the Demons don’t even seem to play all that differently really. Obviously Evil Dead is a brand new game so it’s unreasonable to expect it to have zillions of demon types out of the gate, but I could definitely see it maybe becoming stale in the long run if more Demons aren’t added with a wider variety of playstyles.
- The maps in Evil Dead are all kind of similar looking but they’re also massive which is kind of cool. The downside to the map size is it can present an issue for killers actually finding survivors to get the exciting part of the game going. There’s some strategic hints to help on that front but it’s definitely harder to find people in this game to kick things off than DbD.
- Zipping around the map placing traps and stuff is the coolest part of the Demon side I think. Ironically I’m not really into the combat though, it just feels kind of haphazard. It’s like you go around setting up all these things and leveling up your character and such and then when the fighting starts it’s just a big mess.
- Thematically Evil Dead is pretty solid, I like the voice work and atmosphere and general layout of things.
- Evil Dead does have a solo mode where you can play with bots against a killer, but oddly doesn’t have a solo mode where you can play as a Demon against bots which is the bot mode I’d actually be interested in. Still, that’s more than DbD currently has, at least until their announced bot matches gets pushed out.
- Overall I feel like Evil Dead has a good core game, it’ll just need good expansion plans to remain relevant in the long run.