Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The Spirit - A discussion

A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,456
edited June 25 in General Discussions

Rin has been a controversial one from the moment she released. I would say that the introduction of her power was something truly unique when comparing it to newer Killers released today who's powers are usually a combination of existing powers with new licks of paint. She comes from an era where Killer powers held more uniqueness. Due to this however, it was no doubt harder to balance her when her power was not your traditional (chase/mobility/utility) that we see so much of today (primary due to the way her power integrated into the chase).

Nowadays I would see she's been balanced to a point where I feel that she is a fair killer to face. Her power has tells and ques which tip off the Survivors to what she plans to do next. Her powers cooldown offers a moment of respite for survivors but isn't too long that messing up severely impacts your performance. The multiple uses of the power, while being simple, give her all the tools she needs to compete in the trials. Her add-ons are interesting and mostly always useful or powerful in specific situations.

I would say that as a Survivor, I much prefer facing her now than I used to. I still find her difficult to face, but she is thrilling to counter. "is she phasing there or there?" "Maybe I could try and slowly walk this was then run" "should I try play around this structure/loop?". When playing her I'm able to use the tells that she gives survivors to my advantage. I can phase, but stay still and hope the survivor vaults into me or thinks I'm moving when I'm not. I can face my husk one way to lead them into thinking I'm phasing one way, then go the other and cut them off. I can phase to a generator and take an educated guess where I survivor will run to from the gen and cut them off there.

Overall I think the changes she got were for the better. She still feels great for me to play and with the "stand still" mind game made harder to pull off (since you are forced to phase and can't see the survivor), she feels fairer to play. Her general character, backstory, aesthetics, cosmetics, music and gameplay are just overall great and I think she is amongst the best original killers BHVR have made.

What are your thoughts on her?

Comments

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 4,452

I would be happy to never have to face her again, unless she gets the kicked up dust change or somewhat of a rework.

• MazoobiMazoobi Member Posts: 1,338

Still don't like her tbh. More of a cup of tea issue.

The game is already full of mind-games which don't get me wrong can be rewarding, but a killer that's entire purpose is just... mind-games? No thank you.

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 4,452

Yes. Her add-ons are especially strong as well. Now you can’t even pallet stun her to get distance with the right add-on. Just plain stupid.

• A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,456

Fair point. I hate facing Myers the most but I know lots of people enjoy facing him. I enjoy facing more mind-game orientated Killers.

• BloodshadeBloodshade Member Posts: 2,998
    edited June 25

MDR needs reworked and the "speed bump" whenever she starts her power needs to be properly fixed. And yes, I know you can fix it by swinging at the start of the match. Thanks comp players and Otz for teaching me that.

• A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,456

The green add-on? That one's alright but for that to fully work you'd probably have to disrespect every pallet loop and actually track the person to secure the down after the stun. That's assuming the Spirit is even using that one. Other stronger add-ons have downsides like removing scratch marks. I don't think they're overly bonkers.

• GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 19,903

TBH I wish she had the footsteps instead of the audio. Not for my own benefit- my headset is broken and I play with one side mono audio and the other directional (don't ask me how that's happened)- but because quite a few hard of hearing people play this game (see the controversy surrounding Spine Chill for more information), and Spirit is the exact same as before to them. Impossible to play and very, very difficult to face because you have no tells to her power still. I wish we got the dust because it's something that can benefit deaf, partially deaf, or hard of hearing people alongside people with perfect ears and set-ups, and I wish we got the dust over the sound because having both would be a bit overkill imo.

• foxsansboxfoxsansbox Member Posts: 1,859
    edited June 25

This. Light, barefooted footsteps slowly getting louder and more oppressive as she shuffles through the grass on her way to ruin a survivors day. Would be so much better than WoooooooOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH YAAHHHHHHH.

I'd also support the dust.

Edit: Misunderstood, I think you meant visible steps after rereading. I WOULD ABSOLUTELY TAKE THAT TOO, but I still want the pitter-patter of dread.

Yeah, the visible steps. In the developer update which outlined the changes they mentioned directional audio and dust being kicked up where she phases. The dust never made it into the PTB (the official reason being that it wasn't ready in time, but honestly I think it's because they took the complaints into consideration and idk why they didn't just say that they listened to people) but I wish it had and the audio was what was missing, just for accessibility if nothing else.

• squbaxsqubax Member Posts: 454

If you had dust there will be no way in hell a spirit can hit you in a chase unless you are on a deadzone or you are trying to get to a pallet, any mindgame will be out of the window if the survivor has played for more than 40 hours, no point in using the power at loops really.

You know that the dust can be subtle, right? Like harder to see than it is to hear a very loud, directional audio queue, and is also more accessible to people. It's not going to be a nuclear explosion at every footstep setting off a dust cloud complete with a neon flashing arrow going "HEY GUYS I'M PLAYING SPIRIT AND I'M RIGHT HERE LOOK AT ME BABES", is it?

• PhasmamainPhasmamain Member Posts: 10,022

I have no strong feelings on spirit anymore. All I want is for MDR and Dried cherry blossom to be nerfed basically

• squbaxsqubax Member Posts: 454

Knowing devs and how they handle audio and visual cues, it will literally be like that neon example, take demogorgon, there is no way a demogorgon can surprise you with the amount of visual and audio cues he gives, same with sadako, the giant lullaby and the audio queues when she tps makes her stealth a joke, same as the stupid billy roar that lets you know when he starts a sprint.

The devs have no idea about subtle stuff they either don't give an indication or literally give you tools to perfectly pinpoint the killer.

• BadZillaBadZilla Member Posts: 461

I have ear problems that I can't wear headsets anymore so I can't play her sadly I tried to but only relying on scratch marks only is very difficult, I need audio to locate survivors and it's terrible with speakers I enjoy her kit but she's not playable for me :(.

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 4,234

I think she's fine now.

Faced her a few times during this event, fairly even games that we mostly escaped.

• BwstedBwsted Member Posts: 3,060

She's getting a rework. It's called the Iron Will nerf.

• CybilCybil Member Posts: 600

I have very rarely gone against spirit ever since the rework. I don't understand why either as she's hardly any different from before. I'd rather they nerf nurse and blight before doing anything with spirit tbh.

• AyamirAyamir Member Posts: 230

Before her nerfs she was so annoying to play against if you didn't have iron will a spirit with Stridor and a decent headset will literally end the chase in a few seconds it was always a guessing game and it was really boring considering how easy and busted she was back then.

Now she's fine I guess I mean she's not the most exciting killer to face but that's okay at least she's a little more balanced MDR and dried cherry Blossom still exists tho.

We're gonna see alot of spirits after the iron will nerf Stridor might become meta on her again.

• TheArbiterTheArbiter Member Posts: 1,334

I don't like facing her, but shes better than before.

Hell, any killer that isnt Nurse or Blight makes me happy

• pizzaduffyhp90pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 695

I prefer the old Spirit more than this one liked the unique chases she gave back than now it's just always knowing where she is.

• lauraalauraa Member Posts: 2,737

Stridor will not be meta on her. I personally think its a slight detriment, as I feel it throws off my sense of how far away survivors actually are.

Additionally, I think Dried Cherry Blossom will fall off heavily. It'll still be good for finding ninjas, but we will probably see it a lot less now.