Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Pay to win

Comments

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 5,870

You should think that from the standpoint that Laurie isn’t a free character and DS is pretty much a requirement in most matches.

• GentlemanFridgeGentlemanFridge Member Posts: 2,565

DS, or any perk coming from licensed characters, can still be bought with playtime (ie, shards) from the shrine.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 5,870

Keyword: playtime.

If I am a new player I am subjected to being camped from the git go. There is nothing a new player can do against camping in this game. Especially those going against much higher MMR than them.

• ThraxThrax Member Posts: 928

it isn't. only licensed characters force you to spend real money. You can buy perks for play earned currency. The time it takes to earn such currency for dlc characters isn't even predatory. Bought both of the new toons with shards but i goofed and hard to earn the second after buying the first. I am almost to another characters worth. I play maybe half a dozen games every other day.

I'll crap on BHVR's lawn about a lot of things but this isn't one of them.

That's matchmaking, people giving poor counterplay, people giving up because they don't enjoy her, and just bad survivors.

A lot of survivors don't change HOW they play based on the killer or evident perks and they get rekt an awful lot.

• CyberRoninXCyberRoninX Member Posts: 209

This is exactly the issue. New players don't stick around very long because you either have to spend money to win or play an insane amount of time to get the perks you need. That's even if they put the perks in the shrine. I've seen them put the same perks in the shrine multiple times in a month long period. New players won't stick around if they lose every match because people can buy a killer or survivors perks and have them a lot easier.

How are you supposed to change your play style when you don't know what killer you are playing against prior? Play style is based heavily on the perks you are using. I wouldn't even say its bad survivors. At the highest iridescent level I should be running into good players and yet I can still get at least 2 kills easily.

I try to go into a match with a perk to help the team in the first slot and maybe the second slot with the others for how I feel like playing. Default to what I'm perked for and try with my perks to give myself ways to escape, delay delay delay, or distract. I don't like to focus on just one thing with my load outs unless I'm grinding the rift because you can't know how a game is going to go.

• badThotsbadThots Member Posts: 14

Absolutely not, not even close.

All killers and survivors with the exception of licensed characters can be purchased with in-game currency earned in game.

Even the licensed killers only cost $5.

• Phantom_Phantom_ Member Posts: 426

Yes.

Nurse and Blight, two of the strongest killers in the game, are free. Also the same goes for literally every other video game. Some things you can pay for or learn to do without 🤷‍♀️

I have to disagree Nurse and blight are easy to deal with. I know for a fact that you can pick up any paid killer and win multiple matches. I have done so myself. When I purchased spirit I started to win 90% of the games I played as killer. I don't play killer much anymore because it is so easy it's not even fun. I know the community seems to think nurse is one of the strongest but it is so easy to dodge her. All you have to do is break line of sight and she doesn't know where to teleport and misses almost every attack. I've played against some really good nurses and those games seem pretty balanced. However, when i play against any paid killer it's a much different story.

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,213

this is how the game makes money for consistent updates. you can still unlock characters with playtime as well. and the licensed killers aren't even p2w, I don't think I would put a licensed killer even in my top 5 best killers.

5 dollars is still pay to win. Especially if you want any of the decent perks that they offer. Or i suppose you could wait months to get them from the shrine. It's hard to retain new players when anyone can purchase a killer and win most of their games.

• TheArbiterTheArbiter Member Posts: 1,334

How is the game p2win when all of the best killers in the game can be bought for free with shards??? Most of the licensed killers are pretty bad except for maybe pinhead and leatherface

• burt0rburt0r Member Posts: 2,739
    edited July 2

How is it pay2win when you can take any killer or survivor character and win on a casual level?

And please don't tell me anything about MMR or grade. Both aren't milestones with any worth. There are no leaderboards or real rankings which would constitute as an incentive for pay2win. And again on a casual level you can win perk less as killer and survivor demonstrated by players all over.

Is it hard as a new killer player or solo survivor? Hell damn yes.

But that's also the case in games like league of legends, overwatch or rainbow 6 siege. Noobs get stomped if the matchmaking isn't taking them into consideration, which DBD does a bad job of if at all.

Also, also none of all the killer character is an automatic higher chance at winning if the newbie player has no idea how to play the game.

Edit: And judging from OPs opinion on blight and nurse being easy to battle killers i can assume that OP is a heavy outlier from the norm and their opinion isn't representing the majority of players in the slightest and this whole discussion and attempts at convincing are mute.

• pizzaduffyhp90pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 695

Dredge isn't op he's fairly balance no killer is pay 2 win they all have there own unique ways to countering them you just gotta learn it and some may take longer than others.

What are you on about? You get Spirit same as 90% of the killers with Iri Shards, which u earn by playing the game.

And I don't need an entire essay on how to play against someone, I already know. You go learn how to play other killers better instead of whining about how the 'best' has to be bought, which isn't even true but w/e.

My point was that if you purchase any killer you can win every game. Purchasing a killer does not give you all the perks that you need to be able to win. Therefore you have to purchase multiple killers or wait for them to show up in the shrine. I was saying that any purchased killer can win you almost all your games, so please learn to read when i say you can purchase any paid killer and win multiple matches. Damn people really cant read or comprehend what they read these days. Please go back to first grade and actually pay attention. I'm sorry your salty that the game is pay to win.

Your wrong. Please learn to read as I wasn't just talking about spirit. Also buying one killer doesn't get you all the perks you need to win, therefore, making the game pay to win. Sorry your salty about that.

Lmao what? Okay dude. I have all the killers and perks I want so I have 0 reason to be salty, but you pop off 😂 and stop spam tagging me ✌️

Obviously you didn't read my comment about purchasing spirit. When I first started playing this game I purchased spirit along with a few other killers I needed to get perks for the builds I looked up online. I was able to easily win my matches. Survivors didn't stand any chance for the most part. Even at higher MMR and grade. The only time I wouldn't at least get one kill was when I was playing against a group that was obviously SWF. My other point about nurse and blight still stands, after countless hours of play these two seem much more balanced than any of the pay killers. So if i'm the outlier and the community seems to think the nurse is the best killer then what does that tell you about the skill level of the rest of the community?

• burt0rburt0r Member Posts: 2,739
    edited July 2

What does it tell me?

Nothing.

I don't know you and have never seen your gameplay.

And without any proof all you say and claim what you want and it won't be nothing more than a subjective claim/opinion.

Meanwhile i will stand with what i know and my own logic.

And to your point about purchasing spirit and having much success with her, was that because of spirit or because you are so talented in DBD and could've won maybe nearly as much with other free killers?

We will never know.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Spam tagging lol. I guess you are incapable of reading comprehension and having a conversation. Good luck in your games my guy and have a nice day.

I said when I first started playing, no one starts off playing being amazing at something. Reading comprehension is definitly an issue with people online. You are the one that said I was an outlier. Nice job on name calling, we cant all act like children. Please by all means continue to live in denial that the game is not pay to win. Especially when they buff killer with every single patch. I mean how bad must killers be to need a buff constantly or i guess killer mains should lower their standards and not be upset that they don't get a full party wipe every game.

• Chaos999Chaos999 Member Posts: 518

It's actually pay to play. You can purchase everything on the game, have every perk on every character and that still won't guarantee that you will win.

It's quite the opposite of pay to win game.

• dictepdictep Member Posts: 1,161

It’s PS2L, play solo to lose

• hikenhiken Member Posts: 891
    edited July 2

dredge is far from overpowered, far. specailly if survivors are in coms, however every single good perk this game has to offer (before nerf) is pretty much free to get. the most meta perks come from free survs and killers, the only real meta perk that doesnt is deadlock from hellraiser and BBQ wich is been on the sanctuary around 20 times already.

as survivor u literally jsut need to level up david and bill both free and u get one of the most meta builds possible... u can include meg wich is also free with the game u would be missing only Decise strike from Laurie...

with killers is different yes.... but most dlc killers can be bought with iridiscent shards wich comes by playing...

• TotemSeeker91TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 1,425

If you don't have to pay money for the killer... it's not p2w, now licensed characters, yeah sure, p2p but I don't think they are anywhere near p2w, the only good one that you spend money on that I can think of is either nemesis or pinhead

• TotemSeeker91TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 1,425

Isn't Ghostface also iri shards? Or is it the whole "that mask belongs to us" argument that Netflix makes, lol

• ACleverName4MeACleverName4Me Member Posts: 335

He's not op. You can unlock him for free. Just hold W and pay attention.