Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

So how exactly has the grind been reduced if you're new to the game?

SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 2,428

Tonight I played with a friend who had never played Dead by Daylight, and not having been a new player myself for some time, he raised an interesting point that I hadn't thought about before. I was telling him that soon unlocking perks will no longer be a headache since prestiging both killers and survivors will now unlock their perks for the entire roster. But he couldn't understand how grinding through millions of blood points to get to prestige 3 is considered a reduction, especially with perks like BBQ and WGLF having the blood point bonuses removed. In short, he was wanting to know how this was any different?

Obviously this won't be an issue if you play this game a lot, but the barrier for entry still doesn't seem very friendly to newcomers. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think it will, but with Killers no longer reaping the rewards of BBQ and survivors no longer reaping the rewards of WGLF, means that the grind has doubled for killers, and quite possibly tripled or more for survivors. Hopefully party streamers and blood hunts start appearing more often. 🤞

Comments

• xfireturtlexxfireturtlex Member Posts: 203

I dont think ppl will start to really feel the benefit of it til around 4-500 hours. Most ppl wont make it that far.

• Chaos999Chaos999 Member Posts: 513

In terms of immediacy, it really hasn't. However in the long run, a new player will be able to enjoy a greater variety of perks across multiple characters much faster than with the current version, while older players will be able to jump into newly released characters almost instantly.

As someone who still remembers how being new feels, I gotta say that, as a new player, having too many perks available too fast can be extremely overwhelming. I remember my first days of DBD, when I entered the custom games with my friends and saw all those perks and had no idea what they did and was like, no way I'm reading all of this, so we would just play perkless xD.

As I played on the regular matches more it becomes more organic, you first get familiar with your char perks, then with the new perks that pop on the web, you start getting your favorite perks, gain an interest and start reading the other char teachables, maybe watching some vids and plan your growth. I really don't think that a "regular grind speed" in the early moments of a new player is a problem.

Grind becomes tedious when you have been doing it for a long time, and that's where the new mode shines.

• RemediastRemediast Member Posts: 595

I don't understand why they don't just make the bp parts of BBQ and WGLF base kit. The bp incentive thing doesn't really help if you mostly like playing one side for instance. Some people don't even do certain daily rituals if they aren't for the side they want to play or the character they want to play. I don't think the bp incentive will do much. Meanwhile BBQ and WGLF bp bonus is simple and works just fine.

• BloodshadeBloodshade Member Posts: 2,997
    edited July 3

Your friend could P1 a character to unlock their T1 perks on all other characters, allowing them to then buy T2/T3 through those characters' bloodwebs. So it's not that much more of a grind compared to now in that sense.

The problems are as follows:

1. If you're playing survivor, unlocking perks immediately on all characters doesn't really mean much, as you're probably only going to be sticking to your favorite survivor(s) outside of character-specific dailies/challenges.
    2. This is more expensive than going for teachables in the current system, and the prestige tax makes the idea even more daunting.
    3. There's this really murky area where you as a player have to decide whether you want to go for P3 immediately so you don't have to put a single point into other characters to get the T3 perks you want, or just go P1 and spend BPs on the character(s) you want the perks on. And then furthermore if you opt for the second option, you could end up feeling like you wasted BPs if you then decide to P3 later down the line.

Overall I do think this system inherently favors long-time players over newcomers, as well as people who have and play more of the content, but it's not the absolute worst thing in the world. Definitely not the best thing since sliced bread either, but not too shabby.

What they need to do is up the BP gains & caps, cut out a lot of the bloated offerings in the pool like they did with old map offerings, and maybe even provide players with more ways to interact with the "economy" of the game. Things like allowing players to sell items they don't want (at a reduced price) so they can potentially grab more of what they do want, having a rotating item store with daily deals (buying and selling items at better prices), or maybe converting those BP offerings into BP add-ons for your add-ons (or something like converting your 4 category offerings of a tier into a better offering). Stuff that's both interesting & useful, and makes the grind less of a circle clicking simulator.

• SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 2,428

While I can understand how seeing all of the perks available in a custom game can be a bit overwhelming, the nice thing is that once bots are introduced and the official practice mode has been implemented, it will allow new players to test things out at their own pace. If there's a certain perk that suits your fancy, you'll have a chance to test it out in a practice match with bots. But as it is, you're still stuck grinding through three levels of prestige blood webs to gain access to tier 3 perks, or take a chance at hoping that it appears in your main survivor/killer bloodweb.

No matter how you cut it, it's still a massive grind for new players.

• humanbeing1704humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 7,426

Actually it doesn't

Fake Changes to garner up excitement

I do agree that if they are going to remove the blood point gains from perks, then they definitely need to either increase the gains like you said, or remove the cap. If bhvr is going to go all in on removing the grind, then there's literally no reason to remove the blood point bonuses. I agree with others that it should be base kit.

• AkumakajiAkumakaji Member Posts: 2,237

I really love the new sysyem. The grind from level 1-40 is not that bad, and 41-50 is just a couple of more games.

When I started the game I brought Claudette to lvl 40 as my first survivor and was pretty bummed that I still had to get lucky in order to get self care, even though it got unlocked.

Now with the new system, you got much better control of how to plan your level ups and going to prestige feels much more meaningful; a teachable now truly feels like a teachable.

Even just bringing a few characters up to P1 will unlock basic builds for you without getting cucked by RNG.

All this talk of "uwu I don't want to play with everyone, I just wanny Feng/Meg/Claudette/David!", is quite the privileged problem, really.

• fulltononfulltonon Member Posts: 4,092

Proven to be mostly increased.

• GhosteGhoste Member Posts: 1,562

You could argue it's even worse for new players. At least currently you can rush BBQ/WGLF to speed things up tremendously. I mean the Leatherface DLC is basically pay $4 to cut the grind in half. Idk about you guys, but I might not have kept playing DBD back in the day if I had to grind normally. The time investment is just insane. And this isn't even a free game! You gotta pay like $150 for all the characters AND dedicate thousands of hours of playtime. It's no surprise DBD struggles with player retention.

• DeadByCommunityDeadByCommunity Member Posts: 154

Don't get why the try to reduce the grind with this new system but at the same time nerf the perks that helped with it. Makes no sense. Side note imo don't get why one of those perks got a new effect but the other hasn't gotten nothing new for compensation. Don't forget you have to pay 50,000 BP just to be allowed to prestige. How is that helping? Then the shrine got it's BP bonus reduce.

Yeah the changes to the shrine are even worse. It starts off normal enough, but if you want to unlock level 3 of a certain perk, it's going to cost you over 10,000 shards (which is just dumb because a perk shouldn't cost more than an actual character), and given how slow you accrue shards in this game, the blood point bonus for purchasing a perk you already own isn't anywhere near worth it.

• jesterkindjesterkind Member Posts: 3,719

For completely new players, the grind was already not as big of a problem. They only have a handful of characters and don't necessarily know if they even want those teachable perks, let alone any others.

It's still an improvement for new players, though admittedly not nearly by as much. The lack of a retroactive grind - EG, not also having to grind for potentially a long time to get those teachables you unlocked to appear in the bloodweb to begin with - is still an improvement, but not nearly as much as it is for players with more experience.

Basically, cutting down on RNG helps everyone, even new players, and the ongoing grind is the thing that got major reduction.

• Hi_Im_ChuckyHi_Im_Chucky Member Posts: 259

These topics are so depressing but smh, it’s not like BHVR should be blind-siding me by now. I just don’t understand hockey~

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 4,233
    edited July 3

For a new player, getting started and set up isn't going to be any easier at all.

But in the long run, if you're aiming for many perks on many characters, then you'll feel the benefit. Each successive P3 you unlock will reduce the grind for the next character, and the next, and so on. Instead of it taking 1,000 hours, it might take you 800 hours instead. And this is generally how it works for killers, you want all killers to have a decent perk library, particularly the perks that work well with their powers.

It also eliminates bloodweb RNG. Instead of grinding through 200 bloodwebs to get the perk you want on the character you want it on, you just P1 the character who's teachable it is. You have more control, and more control leads to greater efficiency in setting up your desired builds.