Home Dead by Daylight Forums PTB Feedback Archives 6-1-0 PTB Feedback
FORUM MAINTENANCE

On Wednesday 7th December 2022, from 1.30pm the forum will be down for maintenance, this can take up to 3 hours to complete. We apologise for any inconvenience this will cause.

Why do the Developers like that NOED encourages doing dull totems?

At several occassions, BHVR has officially stated that they believe the fact that Noone Escapes Death encourages you to do dull bones (in CASE it exists) is a good thing, yet I cannot possibly fathom why. It is a timewaster - doing every single bone takes over a minute, and that's barely including travel time. If even a single dull totem is left in the map, it won't have mattered how many bones you worked on - nothing will have changed. Only an incredibly coordinated team can spend the time on every single dull totem, otherwise, everyone will just be wasting time doing bones. It's a big what-if that achieves nothing good, only for the 1% of players. Genuinely, WHY is this?

Comments

• jaymiechanjaymiechan Member Posts: 51

it really doesn't make sense. "we like the paranoia factor" is what it basically boils down to, which isn't a gameplay thing at all, it's an "affect the player" thing, which we KNOW they have an issue with, on multiple fronts. Accessibility issues, sound issues, sight issues. This is purely "we like how it affects the mentality of survivor players" as an excuse, which is a BAD EXCUSE.

• XordXord Member Posts: 459

Actually, the valid strategy against noed is not to do a single totem. Making multiple potential noed spawns is much better than leaving only one, the only exception being if you cleanse all the totems, but it costs so much time just for the off chance that there's noed, it's just not worth.

Cleansing totems is really bad by itself, but it's even worse for noed. If you miss ONE, then you're screwed.

• jesterkindjesterkind Member Posts: 4,249

Well, to be fair, the change that they implemented kinda makes that one big flaw moot, right? It won't actually be a death sentence if you left one dull totem up, because you'll be able to see it through walls after it activates.

As for why they like it, I imagine they like anything that gives survivors an incentive to do something other than generators when they aren't in chase. It makes trials a little more dynamic if you have more things to do.

(Also, it's by no means only the domain of an incredibly coordinated team to cleanse all totems, you can do it yourself without that big of a time investment if you bring the right build to do it. I'm not saying you should because just letting NOED spawn is still going to be the stronger counter, but you can absolutely do it.)

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 6,061

I cleanse dull totems. I do it mostly for the BP, but it is nice knowing that the killer who thinks they're about to surprise me with an insta-down at the exit gate didn't pay attention to their HUD.

About the only way I survive NOED as a solo survivor is if I cleanse it myself, and I rarely get to do that after it activates. Either I stop it from activating, or the randoms I'm matched with leave me to die.

• AdjathaAdjatha Member Posts: 1,735
    edited July 4

The game has a desperate need for survivors to do ANYTHING else.

Everybody sitting on generators is the single most effective survivor strategy, and the overwhelming majority of killers have no tools to defeat this incredibly simple tactic. That's why "Gen Rush" is a dirty word: it's a no-skill approach that is also the single best way to win. And that's not the survivors' fault, it's a gameplay failure.

NOED offered some degree of punishment for doing that: if everyone is on a gen and they're all done within 4 minutes, then the killer gets a huge power spike to try to stop the overwhelming survivor victory. However, because of how unreliable hexes are and how exit gates work, it usually just means: one down and then camp till they all leave.

Saying "Do Bones or NOED" is a feeble attempt at a secondary survivor objective. If ANY survivor is looking for the five totems, that's 25%-33% slower gen progress without having to increase the time survivors have to spend on each individual gen. That's a good thing for killers because the game goes slower, that's a good thing for survivors because it provides a far more dynamic task, and it's a good thing for game health, by making each match more unique from the last.

HOWEVER, people playing this game have decided that they do not want to be playing a better game. They refuse to do secondary objectives. They complain until things are nerfed to the level you can just ignore them. And the game remains "find gen, toggle M1, repeat, leave."

• HexPleaseLetMeSpeakHexPleaseLetMeSpeak Member Posts: 276

It would be fine if NOED was basekit for killers. Gives survivors a 2nd obj and is a natural slowdown. You either go do those totems or you pay the consequences later.

Idk why they think it's a natural slowdown when it's tied to a perk that not ALL killers will be using all the time.

• GorgoniaGorgonia Member Posts: 1,585
    edited July 4

Small Game + Counterforce helps you finish this in 5 minutes. Yeah, it's 2 perks but you also cleans hex totems in the way. You can also bring a map, but it's up to the player's preferrence.

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 5,261

Because it's a time waster. It's a secondary objective.

The game simply isn't balanced around all the survivors efficiently repairing the gens as quickly as possible. Those games last 3 minutes.