The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

More Totems, and Ruin Rework with it

JudgementJudgement Member Posts: 771
edited February 7 in General Discussions

When Hex: Haunted Grounds was added to the game - a Hex that lights up not one, but two totems as Hexes when active - I had this idea in mind but I hadn't bothered to make a post about it until just now.
Some of the totem perks we have are... problematic, in a way. Specifically, I'm talking about Hex: Ruin, the perk that's meant to slow the game down just a little bit. It punishes the hell out of players who can't hit great checks consistently, but does basically nothing to better players who can. If anything, the only way it slows down the game is by preventing the 2% progress for Great Skill Checks, right up until the totem is broken.
So with this idea, where the game will have more totems, we can change how perks like Hex: Ruin can work, without worrying about making them broken or making the Killer camp the totem to hold the game hostage.

To start off with, the Trial begins with 10 Dull Totems around the map instead of 5. With this, some Hexes can be changed to light up more totems and be made more powerful to compensate. It would also require, though, that Hex: Thrill Of The Hunt be potentially nerfed.
With the new 10-totem system, Ruin should also be reworked to accomodate - such as having two or three totems bound to Ruin and if one is destroyed, the entire perk is gone. Or maybe multiple effects that individually are disabled with every destroyed perk.
Edit: There was an image here of an EXEMPLARY Ruin rework - in no way did I suggest Ruin should become that way, but rather to show what I meant by ‘multiple effects bound by totems’ in image form to show it better. Sorry about that.

Other perks could be reworked to accompany the 10-totem system as well as more complex Hex Perks, such as my ideas I made in September 2018 - Hex: Get Out, and Hex: No Way Out (link)

Post edited by Judgement on

Comments

• starkiller1286starkiller1286 Member Posts: 364
    Ugh you said your problem with it is that it punishes those who can't hit greats and suggest making it actually overpowered. 

Seriously just buff thantophobia and leave ruin gems take what 90 seconds to do base? You want literally all progress to stop until 2 or all hexs are found and destroyed your suggestion is actually stronger than dying light.
  • NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 3,829

Survs would have to destroy the 2 correct totems before they could start working on gens. Your suggestion is way too overpowered.

• PirscherPirscher Member Posts: 235

Make all totems burn from the start of the match.

• The_CrusaderThe_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Its meant to slow the gane down just a little bit. This would stop the game completely.
  • PeanitsPeanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 4,627

This sounds way too powerful, if I'm honest. Toss in TOTH and Haunted Grounds and you're set. Survivors cannot progress until they've broken two totems (one, really, but with only one destroyed you would effectively double the length of the game). Two totems that give you a notification when a survivor starts to work on them and have the chance to backfire and make everyone exposed, and even then, you're still left with the current ruin effect at that point which as you've mentioned affects new players more than experienced players. Throw in devour hope to get instant downs or a mori or two if you're lucky, or at the very least buy yourself even more time as the survivors cleanse it thinking it's ruin.

To put it bluntly, I can't see any reason not to always run this perk. You would get such a huge amount of time no matter what-- whether you defend it or not-- that there's really no reason not to. I don't think ruin itself needs a change. It's already pretty firmly in the meta, if anything needs tweaking it's the totem spawns, not the perk itself.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721

That just sounds broken.

• EntityDispleasedEntityDispleased Member Posts: 1,449
    Peanits said:

This sounds way too powerful, if I'm honest. Toss in TOTH and Haunted Grounds and you're set. Survivors cannot progress until they've broken two totems (one, really, but with only one destroyed you would effectively double the length of the game). Two totems that give you a notification when a survivor starts to work on them and have the chance to backfire and make everyone exposed, and even then, you're still left with the current ruin effect at that point which as you've mentioned affects new players more than experienced players. Throw in devour hope to get instant downs or a mori or two if you're lucky, or at the very least buy yourself even more time as the survivors cleanse it thinking it's ruin.

To put it bluntly, I can't see any reason not to always run this perk. You would get such a huge amount of time no matter what-- whether you defend it or not-- that there's really no reason not to. I don't think ruin itself needs a change. It's already pretty firmly in the meta, if anything needs tweaking it's the totem spawns, not the perk itself.

It's in the meta because killers have no choice but to use it, not that it's powerful or broken. It's pretty much a perk that counters bad game design, and a lot of the times it doesn't even work against good survivors. That is if it didn't get destroyed withing 30 seconds of starting the game.
  • The_CrusaderThe_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Orion said:

That just sounds broken.

When one of the biggest killer mains on this forum calls something broken you know its OP :lol:
  • OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721

@The_Crusader said:
    When one of the biggest killer mains on this forum calls something broken you know its OP :lol:

Not a killer main, sweetheart. You should've learned by now not to spread lies about people.

• BroosmeisterBroosmeister Member Posts: 279
    I'm all in for a Ruin rework, make the gens go slower and don't give me those stupid skillchecks which are impossible in some games on console. 

But your idea is literally the worst idea i've ever heard tbh. Forcing people to do totems, also 10 totems would be an enormous Noed buff, which is the last perk to ever need a buff right now ( Alongside with DS ).
  • GorgoniaGorgonia Member Posts: 1,097
    Yesterday i played trapper with ruin just for fun and camped the totem to see how much they advanced vs ruin still active... oh man... they kept failing skillchecks and took ages to repair gens. Skill checks on ps4 can be deadly
  • KotentopfKotentopf Member Posts: 144

To make your idea complett, change name to "Hex: Ruin the game"

• se05239se05239 Member Posts: 3,920

To be fair, your version of Ruin would be a mandatory pick for everyone everywhere. It's waaay too strong.

• JudgementJudgement Member Posts: 771
    Edited to remove the image of Ruin - it was meant as an **example only**, not a total rework. I didn’t have much time on my PC to make a full-on rework so I made an example to explain ‘individual effects per totem’.
  • AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,101

Even if your idea was to be implemented, Ruin would still be an overrated placebo.