Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Conspiracy Theory: Devs have been manually toggling certain maps to be played more

SirCrackenSirCracken Member Posts: 1,070

Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, because all of my evidence is anecdotal, but sometimes I really think that maps are not chosen randomly.

On occasion I will be sent to the same map multiple times in row without any map offerings. Or the same couple of maps in a specific realm, such as the Rotten Fields and Fractured Cowshed in Coldwind Farm. And it's happened enough times that I've gotten a bit suspicious.

My current theory is that when the devs want data for a specific map they toggle a switch that determines how often each map gets chosen. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• bm33bm33 Member Posts: 6,911

Lately when I play I've been getting the same map atleast 2 times in a row, sometimes more, with no map offerings to send us there. The other day I played 6 matches and every single one was Dead Dawg. I wish they'd make it so you wouldn't get sent to the same realm you were in last match.

• KrazzikKrazzik Member Posts: 456

I've seen a theory that each game session you get assigned a pool of maps that you can end up on, which would explain why sometimes you get the same exact map multiple times in one session.

• BloodshadeBloodshade Member Posts: 3,254

That is absolutely what is happening.

• KrazzikKrazzik Member Posts: 456

There was one time I ended up on Lery's four games in a row and only the first game was there an offering for it.

• AverageKateMainAverageKateMain Member Posts: 217

Me going to Midwich 13 times in 4 days span

• AnneBonnyAnneBonny Member Posts: 1,999

i think certain maps are assigned higher and lower weights every day

• Alex_Alex_ Member Posts: 69

That seems VERY unlikely to me, as there are 5 people per match, so matchmakimg would not only have to look for players with your MMR but they would also have to have at least one map from their map pool in common. That does not make any sense imo.

• SimfelizSimfeliz Member Posts: 2,535
    edited August 8

Maybe but I'd like the mathematicians to speak up. From my understand people often think "random" means you should be getting an even distribution when in reality that's not how it works. I'm not one though.

• Zen_but_not_ZenZen_but_not_Zen Member Posts: 226

Wow i thought it was just me haha, yesterday i had Yamaoka so many games, especially annoying because I kept going up against Trappers, and i was hearing traps triggered/screams all over the place. Safe to say the games didn't go well.

• AkumakajiAkumakaji Member Posts: 2,885

I heared something about certain maps being on rotation, ie the hot stuff of the day and you get send there with a much higher propability. I remember with dread the way when I was send to old Haddonfield 4(!), yes FOUR times in a row. The Entity devoured a piece of my sould with each repetition and I am not totally sure that anything was left after that ordeal.

• GloamGloam Member Posts: 610

It's pretty common for me to get the same map a couple times in a row or on the same day, last session I had 3-4 games in a row on Ormond.

• AneurysmAneurysm Member Posts: 5,241

I'm not sure if it's conspiracy theory anymore if you play 10 games with the same map in 5 of them, considering how many there are.

• ACleverName4MeACleverName4Me Member Posts: 342

This isn't something new.

I've gotten Ormand 3 times in a row on one day

Coldwind farm 5 times in a row

Dead dawg, swamp, dead dawg, swamp, dead dawg.

Today my pattern so far has been: Macmillan, the game, the game, badham, badham, Macmillan.

How much you wanna bet the game is next?

• KayTeeBeeKayTeeBee Member Posts: 22

A uniform distribution has the potential to feel strange sometimes. But there are days where I have this feeling, too. For me it's especially Red Forest which comes up multiple times in a row.

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 4,839

There was a time I almost forgot that Rancid Abattoir and Torment Creek were Coldwind maps, because I would only get the other variations. I think it was seriously an about two-month streak that I went without seeing Rancid, and that was in the past year or so.

• AraphexAraphex Member Posts: 604

I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the content people bought? Like if someone didn't buy the Resident Evil chapter, then they get queued into a game, would it be possible that the RCPD won't be included in RNG? I would like to think all maps should be available to counter this. Or the RNG just needs to be fixed because I can't stand going to the same map 3-4 times in a row. Literally played the game 3 times last night, twice in a row and then another map and then back to the game. Also got Garden of Joy, another map, and then back to Garden of Joy.

What I think would really fix this issue is just allowing killer to choose the map unless map offerings are used. Or giving all players in queue a choice out of 3 or something like that. Anything than being sent to the same map over and over. Just some ideas.

• GoshJoshGoshJosh Member Posts: 4,839

All maps and their offerings are available all players, regardless of DLC owned or not owned.

• AraphexAraphex Member Posts: 604

Good to know. RNG is messed up then or the devs are forcing us to play the same maps over and over. Either way it needs to be addressed.

• sonata93sonata93 Member Posts: 284

You'd think so, but then reading this discussion there are people getting maps which I never get multiple times in a row.

For example, I rarely get Lery's and Dead Dawg yet I've seen people here seem to be getting these a lot. Honestly, 9/10 games for me are either Macmillan, Autohaven, or Red Forest.