We are aware of a current issue going around affecting most forum users. Affected users received this message upon log in: "You need to reset your password. This is most likely because an administrator recently changed your account information. Click here to reset your password."

We are currently investigating this incident.
The November 2019 Developer Update is now available: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/103996/
Chapter 14 Teaser:
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Hatch Stand Off Solution

The killer is meant to be a THREAT to survivors. It’s dumb that survivors actually wait intending/hoping the killer will hit them to exploit the killers attack cooldown to jump into the hatch.

I suggest that the hatch be the ONLY interactable object whereby survivors suffer an injury cool down. I.e. when injured/downed by a strike from the killer, the contextual “escape through hatch” action does NOT immediately pop up for the survivor.

Survivor hatch escapes should require cunning & guile. Strategies ways to draw the killer away.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Member Posts: 249

"Survivor hatch escapes should require cunning & guile. Strategies ways to draw the killer away."

Good joke.

• Wolf74Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

My personal issue with the hatch is:

There is a gamemechanic that helps preventing a 4 kill match, right?

But where is the gamemechanic that helps preventing a 4 escape match?

And why does the hatch open after another survivor already escaped?

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 4,183

I agree particularly with the last part. If the exit gates are open, the last survivor SHOULD NOT additionally have a third escape option.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 619

The easiest thing to do would be to prevent the prompt to enter the hatch from appearing during a chase and prevent survivors from interacting during the stun when entering dying state. The hatch standoff has now been resolved.

• darktrixdarktrix Member Posts: 1,076

Every time I read one of these threads I am thankful that most people are not put in charge of game design.

• EntityEvictorEntityEvictor Member Posts: 311

The game isn't meant to be a stalemate either. Just remove the body block and give the killer the opportunity to close the hatch for 40 seconds so the game actually goes somewhere.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 1,281

I've made this suggestion elsewhere, and I'll make it here, too.

The problem with the hatch standoff is that it punishes the player who acts first. That's the opposite of how it should be, and that's why we end up with a killer and survivor standing at the hatch for an hour waiting for the other to make a move.

Whoever acts first should be rewarded. Remove the hatch grab. I know that sucks, I love hatch grabs, but it's the first step to fixing this problem. The second step is to have the entity block the hatch for a few seconds after a survivor is hit. This only occurs if the survivor is hit before they begin jumping into the hatch, and the hatch remains closed just long enough for the killer to recover from the successful attack cooldown and resume the chase/pick the survivor up.

Maybe my suggestion isn't the best way to handle it, but in general that's what fixing the hatch standoff is going to take: reward rather than punish the player who acts first.

They should also get rid of the bonus 2k points for escaping via the hatch. It should just reward the same number of points as escaping through the exit gates. Sometimes the last survivor left, even when the gates are open, may need the hatch. But a survivor shouldn't be encouraged to stick around looking for the hatch when the exit is open.