Home Discussions General Discussions
The September 2020 Developer Update is now available.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/194208

DC/Camping/Tunneling

Now before everyone starts with the "Its a vaild move" I don't care..Don't want to hear it..Don't care about if it is tacit to get kills...I really dont...Now anyways....

Has ANYONE ever thought that maybe SURVIVORS wouldn't D/C as much if they weren't being Tunneled or CAMPED every single game? I mean come on...The game is supposed to be fun for both sides yes?

Yeah I know don't get caught..its your fault that you got caught..its your fault that you got hooked...But what about those teammates that sandbag you or tell the killer where you are? (Which does happen) Or (because its happened several times) a person working with the killer.

Now my thing is..I've never really dc'd much until recently..I have noticed that the teammates are even more crappy than before..and the killers are alot more campy and tunnel a hell of a lot more. Possibly due to the "new" emblem system..Having to have so many hooks/kills..BUT and I say this because Im not a high rank killer yet..I have no idea what its like in RED ranks..But as a rank 10 killer..I dont need to tunnel or to camp to ensure that I pip.

Anyways..I guess what I'm getting at is if someone is being CAMPED or TUNNELED to death then I don't see why they cant make the CHOICE OF THEIR OWN to just leave the game..if it isn't fun for them..Before I was all YEAH BAN THE DC'D PEOPLE..but now it just feels like this game is getting worse.

The hit boxes are freaking HUGE! I have 2 clips of where the killer got a 4k thanks to the hit boxes the size of a damn bus..and it was green ping (97ms) so I mean there really wasn't that much lag..and people say oh it will change once the dedicated servers come out..But really I dont feel it will..The devs made the hit boxes bigger..

I understand that alot of this has been said before, But Im not a survivor main or a killer main. I play both sides equally..and tho I may not be the best of the best killers..I also dont see why people have to camp or tunnel...I mean I dont and I still pip...So if I can do it..Im sure many of the camping tunneling killers can too..

Send your salt or your hate..But this is just another 50/50 player giving their feedback about the game :)

<3<3

Comments

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,206

I am running an experiment currently.

Bleedout build with doc and I am surprised.

Survivors DC less than when I play normally, explain that to me lul

• MrsMaliciousXMrsMaliciousX Member Posts: 593

I honestly have no idea. But I honestly think that this game (at least for me) is going down hill..Its kinda like I force myself to play it so that I can stay in the loop with everything..But from the hit boxes to the tunneling and the camping its killing the game for me. it doesnt really seem like the killer gets much of a punishment for doing either one..Yeah i know not a "bad" thing to do because the devs said its not..But honestly its getting a bit ridiculous every single game I have played the killer either tunnels everyone to death or just camps..and yeah thats so much freaking fun lemme tell you.

• ClogWenchClogWench Member Posts: 2,583

Survivors will DC just because they dislike a certain killer or map. I get a lot who DC if they get downed first or if 2 people get hooked at the same time. It only takes the slightest provocation for a survivor to DC. Besides it's not like camping and tunneling can be removed fully.

I agree that there are some to dc over stupid little things..But I myself I pretty much have to be so mad to the point to where Im about to scream..And lately its almost every game lol. I took a month long break came back first 3 games I was tunneled then camped to death..took another break for about a week or two same thing..I mean I get how some people thats the only way to secure a kill..But I mean how is it NOT harassment if you are just targeting the same person the whole game until that person is dead? I mean to me thats harassment and Im sure to the word itself is the same thing..and dont get me started on the hitboxes that are freaking HUGE..the game is bugged and instead of fixing the bugs like that they are putting out new people and doing all this other stuff. I love the game probably will never fully be able to quit it..But right now its on my hate list lmao

• lasombra1979lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

As there are so many different definitions of tunneling and camping, could you please explain what you mean by tunneling and camping so we have a point of reference?

Im talking killer hooking in the basement NOT leaving the basement and then hits the person that comes down to get you off..but doesn't go after that person just hits the person off the hook and hooks them...rinse and repeat...i didnt think that I would have to define camping and tunneling?

Or the hooking...then someone coming to get you off...The killer turns around hits them...but doesnt chase but just goes after the person that was just unhooked...

• Wolf74Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@MrsMaliciousX

"Now before everyone starts with the "Its a vaild move" I don't care..Don't want to hear it..Don't care about if it is tacit to get kills...I really dont...Now anyways...."

So I stopped reading right there…

You don't care about killers opinions… so I don't feel the need to care about your opinion.

I'm not saying it's not annoying, and it's definitely a cause, but I wouldn't say it's the leading cause. And like I said, it's not something that can be just removed.

That's fine you can stop right there...I kinda figured most killer mains would stop right there..Because they dont know how it feels to be on the other side of it..LOL

I mean its whatever do what you do..But Im just explaining as someone who plays 50/50.

Lol Be that person <3

If you only have problems with that, may I suggest playing killer?

You will then understand what "tunneling" and camping actually means

Im not saying to remove it..im saying that the killers need have more punishment for it..Just like with survivors if they dont get a "safe hook" they lose points..I honestly think that the killers should also lose points for going after the same person to soon..I think it would be a win win for both sides.

lmao did you not read the whole thing?

I said I play 50/50 Im a rank 9 survivor and a rank 10 killer..I mean I know I could be 9 on both but Im pretty sure those numbers are close enough together to know what is what?

Well then just keep playing killer and rank up further. Just ignore playing as survivor until you want to again. Thats my suggestion

The majority of killers have played survivor and know what it's like. In my experience, most of the ones who do that to that degree are killers who have little experience. Often times survivor mains playing killer for a daily, who aren't experienced enough to get a kill any other way.

I get that..But Im just saying as someone who plays 50/50 some people say that killer is more stressful..But i honestly feel like that playing killer is alot LESS stressful..I mean you dont have to worry about your teammates and everything else..But I was just trying to give some insight to why some people do dc. and Im not talking about the ones who dc right off the bat after being downed once...Ill get downed and hung..I dont care about that..But when I get off the hook if he is chasing someone and stops to just come right after me again..and then wont get off of me..That's when its like are you serious..Because he COULD have gotten that person downed but instead he decided to go after the one who just got unhooked... I KNOW ITS THE SMART THING TO DO WHY CHASE A HEALTHY SURVIVOR WHEN THERE IS ONE ALREADY HURTING..I just dont see the point..at all.

Idk with this new matchmaking its been putting me with red ranks. So Im assuming that they know what they are doing..and know how to do it well they just dont want to. But like I said to each their own..Just trying to give some insight on why some people may dc..and im not talking about the ones that dc on the first down either.

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,487

I see more teammates dc on the first down than anything else. I also don't see how anti tunnel gameplay can be enforced without creating large segments of zero danger for survivors. If a killer downs me and then I know my safety can't be compromised again for a short time/conditions are met, that's a window of boredom.

With this new emblem update, if you hard camp that way you're not gonna rank up to red ranks.

Im not saying get rid of it completely...Im just saying that the killers need to be punished more. When I play killer I DO NOT tunnel or camp UNLESS the gates are OPEN and they aren't leaving...Then if I find someone and down them I hook them and I dont leave the spot, to ME thats when I start camping..But never before.

• lasombra1979lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

Well there are several viewpoints on what camping and tunneling is, so I wanted to see what yours were before I responded.

I will start with camping. The example you described I agree sucks. Problem with it though is survivors feed into the killer's desire to use that strategy because it works. Honestly, when I play survivor and I see someone who just got hooked in the basement, you are on your own. It is a risky rescue to begin with and more often then not, you got a basement camper. If the killer is Leatherface, I am not even going to that side of the map. Too many survivors go running head first into these traps, and that is why killers use them.

As for tunneling, honestly, I see no issue. The killer is trying to hook. That is their sole objective. Going after the weakest link is a smart play. Yes it sucks for the survivor, but this is a 4v1 PVP horror survival game. If I think tunneling the recently unhooked survivor will benefit me in that particular match, I will. If I am a survivor being tunneled, I have tools to end the chase, just have to be smart in how I use them.

The issue I have with the anti - camping/tunneling posts is others trying to dictate how people should play. As long as the killer or survivor is playing within the rules of the game, not using exploits or not cheating, I see no issue if the killer wants to camp or tunnel or if the survivor wants to loop to death or flashlight click all match. The only way any of these behaviors are toxic is if you let them be.

In the end, nothing I say will change your views, I know this. There is also nothing wrong with your views, they are yours. I do ask keep in mind, not all people who play this game read the forums, steam groups, reddit or any other place this game is discussed. I would say a good portion of this game's community has no idea about the unwritten laws of this game. Hell, I didnt until I joined this forum. Granted I still ignore them, but hey, at least I know about them.

@ClogWench I do agree that they dont..But that doesn't stop them..And if they pip or not I have no idea...You know if you say they didn't they will say they did..I honestly dont even care about the pip itself..I just want the game to be fun again...The chases the jump scares and stuff like that..now Im just like oof Im getting tunneled or camped..yay me

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 2,207

Instead of just saying "don't camp and tunnel", people need to be asking why so many killers feel like they need to play that way to have a chance. Does nobody find it ridiculous that the objective for survivors remains the same regardless of map size or a killer's inherent mobility? 5 generators on a large map for Hillbilly is very different than the same scenario for a killer like Clown. The average skill player that uses mid to low tier killers typically gets absolutely thrashed by good survivors that spread out, especially those on comms. Crossing the map after a hook on a basic 115 or 110 killer and not immediately finding someone is gg when Ruin is gone. I'm in no way saying camping and tunneling is fun or good for the game. I'm saying it's a symptom of the game's terrible balance.

My point is that unless survivors are giving the killer a reason to, you're less likely to encounter camping killers in red ranks cause you can't GET to red ranks doing that. So maybe assess why killers are doing that first.

FINALLY!!!!!

I was waiting for someone to post something more than "Play killer or something like that"

And I do agree with everything that you've said..It just sucks on MY end because even tho I can run the killer for a gen MAYBE 2 if Im lucky..Once I'm spotted off the hook it is very hard for ME to escape. And it seems like ALOT of people just like to farm people off the hook..Not sure why. But I feel that is ANOTHER part of the problem..Because people dont want to WAIT until the killer is gone to pull someone off the hook. They wanna do it and they wanna do it now!

Alot of the game is both sided, I mean no survivor wants to be tunneled or camped to death, and no killer wants to be looped and stunned and flashlighted all game. Trust me I know all of this..But with the new matchmaking putting me with red ranks its harder for me to try to learn new things because Im only a rank 9.

Now before matchmaking I was a BOOSTED rank 1 and I will admit it..I know that I didn't belong there I knew I wasnt good enough to be there..But yeah I was a boosted rank 1 survivor.

As for "telling others how to play" that's not what Im trying to do..Im just TRYING to get people to realize that they dont NEED to do it in order to kill anyone..But I know that there is ALWAYS gonna be people that do do it.

But..The hitboxes also really dont help certain situations either..Its just the game is balanced but its not ..If you know what I mean lol.

Well 9/10 Im solo que..So I honestly wouldnt even be able to tell you.

• SairekSairek Member Posts: 4,965
    edited March 2019

When everyone is being immersed and then the unhook finally happens and the only person I see is the unhooked person because the person who did the save doesn't show up to give me a different target, what am I supposed to do as a killer? Is it tunneling if you won't give me someone else? If I just let the person go, then I'm going to just simply lose. Killers cannot afford to just not put on pressure, especially when four survivors remain alive.

Also, I've been called "camping" and "tunneler" from survivors in a match where I had BBQ & Chilli yet and got 0 stacks despite nobody escaping because they all DCed.

This DCing epidemic simply needs to stop. Camping and Tunneling to people seems to be about as subjective as the definition of 'fun'. People don't find the same amount of value of fun from the same things to the point that if they get found and downed first before a gen is done, they complain they aren't having "fun" and so they DC. And quite frankly, I'm getting tired of finding a survivor, hooking them, no one else shows up on BBQ, I leave the hook anyways, they save the *moment* my terror radius is gone, I go back and only see the wounded person only despite 3 other people being nearby, and then being told I'm a tunneling dick because I'm literally doing my job and not even being given the chance to pick another target. Then people DC because they're 'not having fun' because I'm 'tunneling'. It's bloody stupid.

I don't have fun when I get T-bagged flashlight spammed 3 minutes exit gates opened against a 4-man SWF with comms. I still don't DC despite not having fun.

Time to grow up.

As I get what you're saying..I dont know if I totally agree with you..

I mean yeah the survivors have 5 gens to do..Thats either 1 gen per person and 1 left over or them working on them together (which is actually slower now because they nerfed it)

Anyways..5 gens to do ...if there is more than one person it takes longer..Not to mention if the killer has ruin..Which is going to take even longer depending on how good the survivors are..alot of people I play with can't hit the great skill checks and run around like chickens with their heads cut off (randoms that is)

Which then means that you have run the ENTIRE map searching for ruin..If you find it thats awesome..But you could also have haunted grounds or Thrill which would take even more time because it would take longer to cleanse totems..and if you do by chance have haunted...survivors are then going to hid until the timer goes down (at least the randoms I play with do)

which then haults the speeds of the gens..and IF by chance you have randoms that dont believe in finding totems you have the LUCKY chance of the game changing NOED...

I mean as much as I want to agree with you..There are ALOT of ups to the killer side..and I am in now way shape or form bitching about the perks that they have Im just saying...You say that its more than likely to get smashed...Maybe some killers need to find better builds...BUT im not trying to tell anyone how to play...

• Wolf74Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@MrsMaliciousX

"That's fine you can stop right there...I kinda figured most killer mains would stop right there..Because they dont know how it feels to be on the other side of it..LOL

I mean its whatever do what you do..But Im just explaining as someone who plays 50/50.

Lol Be that person <3"

I am for sure a killer main, but I do play my fair share of survivor and I KNOW that the game is in favor of survivor.

I play solo and I am mediocre at best as survivor, still I can escape pretty often as long as my team doesn't play like headless chicken.

So I actually do know the "other side", but balancing a game around bad player is just a bad idea, because if you balance for idiots playing survivor, the good survivor player can totally troll any good killer.

And that's what's happening at the moment.

I am a killer main, but I do not play the "top tier killer" (just because I am just bad with them, or I do not like playing them, or a combo of both), so I am stuck with mid tier killer at high ranks and I refuse to limit myself to "just play Nurse".

I hate the Dev statement about "not all killer are meant to be viable" with a passion.

And honestly I really doubt that anybody who plays 50/50 would side with survivor mains on any balance topic.

I have no words...........for you my friend.....not at all.......

I just said in a post a few up that

as a killer its not fun to be looped and stunned and flashlighted...

and you pretty much just said everything i did..But turned it into a I DO THIS BECAUSE!

thats fine you play that way...as I have said in MANY comments Im just giving INSIGHT from someone who plays the game 50/50