Home Discussions General Discussions
We're making some changes thanks to the feedback received from the PTB. For more details, click here.
Dead by Daylight will undergo scheduled maintenance at 5PM EDT today. This maintenance is expected to last about 30 minutes. During this time, all game services will be unavailable. Thank you

Should Ruin be built into the base kit?

PinkErickaPinkEricka Member Posts: 1,042

It’s practically meta and almost every killer in the high ranks run it.

People complain about how fast games go by and Ruin does tend to slow the games down SOMETIMES.

The only thing that would need to be tweaked for totem placement is The Game and Lerys since it is pure hell trying to find totems on there

Answers

• PinkErickaPinkEricka Member Posts: 1,042

@Jesya That just might be too OP though.

It’s almost impossible to find totems on those maps that almost half the time, it results into killers getting a win. Think about the higher ranks, also. They will get destroyed by that.

Ruin is suppose to buy time, it’s not meant to last all game.

If you want to make Ruin that hard to find, I suppose Survivors could have Small Game/Detectives Hunch built in.... not sure how that would work out for NOED though. Pretty sure NOED would be trash.

• JesyaJesya Member Posts: 995
    edited April 2019

Most people who play long enough know where totems spawn.. so no, I don't think it's too op. I also don't want my hand held when I play survivor and would like a challenge besides afking on gens. If that means searching for totems, so be it. I've gotten wrecked end game because NOED & people are just too lazy to do totems when it's sitting right next to the gen they are on.

Then there are games where I find ruin within 45 seconds because I know where to look. IMO totems should be harder to find--- smaller, darker, closer to the ground- then at least there would be an excuse for NOED to be active end game. Otherwise survivors are just lazy.

Edit to add: also "legit" high ranked survivors usually can power through ruin with no problem.

• PinkErickaPinkEricka Member Posts: 1,042

@Jesya You’re suggesting that they should be hidden like The Game and Lerys, right? Those totems are extremely hard to find even for an experienced player mainly because it’s a maze.

They’re adding small patches into the game to make totems more hidden.

Also, there’s a lot of high ranked survivors who shouldn’t be at high ranks.. I.E not looking behind them when being chased, not pallet looping, & etc... even experienced survivors may have a hard time hitting hex ruin skill checks or they might just have a team that has a hard time hitting them.

• PoweasPoweas Member Posts: 5,875

For newer players, that's hell to try and work through a gen in a permanent ruin, so no.

• DreamnomadDreamnomad Member Posts: 2,674

No.

• CornChipCornChip Member Posts: 540
    edited April 2019

Practically meta? Its in nearly every single game.. Practically boring.. Imagine how many new players would be turned away from playing survivor from hex ruin bullshit in every single game.

Post edited by CornChip on
  • NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,445

Let's see what the devs will tell us next week about the new game mechanic "End Game Collapse". Maybe this will give killers more time.

With the current state of the game, Ruin is a necessitiy to buy time. Maybe it won't be necessary anymore. We'll have to wait and see.

• DelfadorDelfador Member Posts: 2,553

I think killers deserve a solid 1 or 2 more minutes to start applying pressure at the beginning of the game and ruin is the only tool they got for that and it is too unreliable.

In my honest opinion, an RNG perk like ruin should not decide the fate of the match neither in favor of survivors nor killers. Sometimes it stays too much and destroys bad and average survivors, and then sometimes survivors are too good to be bothered by ruin.

Instead of trying to solve the problem with useless hex perks, we should focus on creating secondary objectives that don't rely on RNG.

• xChrisxxChrisx Member Posts: 917

The totem spawns good or bad will be always a problem against good survivors with experience, they have to do a buff because as killer u lost a slot perk, for example who cleanse the totem get the malus for all the game

• ThasardThasard Member Posts: 214

Ruin is a crutch perk for bad killers, though if you're fighting bad survivors, could work out for you. I've seen good killers get a 4k without Hex Ruin and I've seen good survivors get multiple gens done with Hex Ruin still active. Breaking the totem is really only necessary for garbage survivors who can't even hit the skill check and are just crouching around being useless.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 10,221

Maybe make it so your kick makes the Generator regress, but also make that specific Generator have Ruin Skill Checks.

And you can only remove regression & regain normal Skill Checks if you do a "Remove Damage" action that takes ~7 seconds.

This would make it so you could technically still repair the Generator, but you'd have to repair against regression & Ruin Skill Checks.

Idk, just an idea i made up in ~7 seconds.

• AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,418

Meh, against "good" survivors it wouldn't make any difference.

PS: totem spawns on Lery's are just as terrible as in every other map.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,208

No, it shouldnt be.

But the whole gen mechanic should be reworked into sth that is more exciting than holding M1....

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 2,888

What about the new Survivors though? Barely getting anything done because they can't hit great skill checks would probably end up chasing them away.

Why does the game have to be dumbed down for new players? A killer can’t chase 4 people at once blowing up gens.

It’s a lame excuse to have it easy for everyone else.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 2,877

@Jesya Because you can't balance around rank 1 if you want the game to grow.

I never understand the big deal with ruin. Even if you miss every hex skill check it still doesn't add that much time.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,157
    edited April 2019

Exactly. Exactly this.

Totems shouldnt be basekit, they should be much harder to find.

Better totems mean they're harder to find.

That means totems like devour hope, ruin, and noed are harder to stop.

That means survivors will have to actively search or run perks for it, changing the "meta" slightly.

That means all these crutch perks wont be considered as such, and the game takes longer due to things like ruin not being destroyed, and people doing secondary objectives.

It's kinda what people have been asking for. Totem placements being so easy is why ruin is gone almost immediately every other game.

@thrawn3054 I don’t want the game balanced at rank one. But I also think it’s a load of bollocks to base the game around yellow ranks with the excuse of things are too hard for new players Why does the rest of the community who aren’t new need to have a game balanced around new players

I don’t want ruin in the basekit but I think it’s incredibly easy to find totems now and should be looked at.

• CardgreyCardgrey Member Posts: 1,259

Idk about u but when I started playing I didn't know ruin was a thing for a while... So I just assumed that is how the skill checks worked. so I adapted and now I laugh at ruin users as I don't care if ruin is up or not I'll knock out my gens.

• BoxingRougeBoxingRouge Member Posts: 606

It’s not a good idea for those who don’t have 60FPS

• CashelP14CashelP14 Member Posts: 2,167

Ruin doesn't last long but also shouldn't last the whole game. What if it lasted 4 mins and wasn't a hex totem? Long enough that the killer has time to get a few hooks but also isn't lasting the whole game.

But as for your question no it shouldn't be part of the base kit because it will just destroy lower ranks.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 2,877

@Jesya I generally agree. The trick is balancing so new players aren't getting wrecked and being driven off by a miserable gaming experience. I do think killers are generally underpowered though.

• DarkWo1f997DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532

I don’t understand why killers can’t place their own totems during the match.

• ColgateAdvancedWhiteColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 614

If a survivor can run nonstop for the whole match, a killer should have bloodlust 3 the whole match too. It's ridiculous to run forever - no human can do that.