Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

SWF - Dev's Response?

@Peanits @Patricia

I know, I know, another SWF post, but I would really appreciate hearing the devs view on this as there are so many posts mentioning the SWF issues with no response from developers. Are you aware of this?

From looking across multiple DBD forums, most players agree SWF is drastically unfair for the killer due to survivors being able to communicate and reveal information about the killers location, perks they're using etc as well as being able to plan who rescues, who fixes gens, who acts as bait and where hex totems are.

Most people are aware you can't stop voice chat, but everyone has suggested an option which would please everyone and that is to allow killers to choose to play without survivors who are in a team/party. Like Call of Duty's Mercenary mode for example.

Are there any plans to add this in the future? If not, how comes? It would mean a lot to hear your opinions.

Comments

• BoredByDaylightBoredByDaylight Member Posts: 113

@Patricia

Also thank you for passing on my comments to the game designers, means a lot :)

• MadjuraMadjura Member Posts: 2,277

Patricia remains to be the best community manager by far

The solution is to add voice chat to the game

Nothing else can ever balance out the disparity between solo and SWF

• RicardiBacardiRicardiBacardi Member Posts: 77

The solution for killers to select the SWF kill option is to offer them more bloodpoints or an advantage to the game.

If killers get a gameplay advantage then SWF can bypass that by dodging lobbies until they get one where they are in together

This also causes issues with 3 man SWF and a solo survivor (or 2 man SWF and 2 solo survivors) who will end up getting shafted, even if the disadvantage only affected the SWF (for example less hook states) because their team members will be made weaker than if they were not SWF

• AlfredAlfred Member Posts: 272

So unfair advantage is allowed?

Why there is no kill with friends?

3 spectators with 100% speed will run the map and tell the killer where everyone is...

As a reward they will get same amount of BP as killer.

Thanks for commenting, I do agree with you and appreciate your opinion. I'm not too concerned on the outcome I just believe something needs to be done to counter this to make it somewhat equal for both sides.

• SmokePotionSmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

the biggest problem with this that I see:

No killer will choose the SWF lobby.

It would need to be somehting like:

Casual: 4 man's ok

Ranked: Solo Survivors only (or maybe 2 mans?)

Not a bad suggestion. I'd even happily play casual without ranking up or down if it meant I could play with solo players.

My main reason for playing this game is for fun, not points or ranks. My issue with SWF is at Rank 2 you get paired with 4 friends who just like farming points which is no fun as a killer.

• DreamnomadDreamnomad Member Posts: 2,847

SWF isn't nearly the problem that these forums would have you believe. I don't remember the percentages, but 4 man teams are actually quite rare. And 4 man teams that are actually good are even rarer. If you believe that you are playing against a SWF team, the thing to do is use that against them. They tend to play more predictably.

• BongbingbingBongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

Opting out of SWF lobbies would just increase que times and overall be bad for the game.

SWF can be OP absolutely there's no doubt about that but you can't hinder it in anyway because it's a must have feature for any online game.

The realistic and logical option would be to buff Solo survivors level of information sharing to be on par with SWF and then Buff each individual killer accordingly.

To be honest If I had a say I'd put this as a top priority for the Devs since it'd get rid of most the imbalances and frustrations people have with the game and make future balancing so much easier. I'm shocked they haven't done it yet even if it would take a long time considering you'd have to go trough each killer one by one but In my opinion It'd be worth it in the long run.

• WolfPad06WolfPad06 Member Posts: 182

They should just add voicecoms to the game for survivors and buff killers accordingly. This would end all unfair advantages SWF have over solo players and give the killers the right tools to deal with comms. Sure some perks might becomes a little less useful (bond, kindred, etc.) but they can always be reworked to something else.

TBH I rarely play solo survivor because of the massive difference there is between that and playing with my friends/voice comms.

• FeelsVeryBadManFeelsVeryBadMan Member Posts: 197

Solo is an absolute nightmare.

There you go, that's why people really like SWF, because Solo in high ranks sucks ass.

*inb4 "Oh I actually love Solo Q so much, survivor main btw"

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited May 2019

Many solo players will not use voice chat even if it is in the game by default.

I certainly wouldn't. I am not interested in talking to random people on the net.

I play Overwatch a lot. it has built-in voice chat. Ask me how many times I have used Overwatch voice chat.

This is not a solution. Killers need to accept that in an online game, there will always be people better than you and who will play better than you. And that in an asymmetric game, there is no real thing as balance. Some people will play to their strengths better than you will, and sometimes that strength will directly counter yours.

Live with it, deal with it, move on and play your next game.

Killers like to act like they are such victims and how every game is a 4-man Squadette that is out to bully them. We all know this is not true, both from playing as Killer and from BHVR's own official stats.

• ba_tetsuoba_tetsuo Member Posts: 330

According to the number posted by BHVR, the majority of SWF are 2 man teams, so limiting SWF to groups of 2 would impact a minority of survivors, and give the killer more balanced games.

@Patricia

• liviu1911liviu1911 Member Posts: 150

did you know that at the moment , if you play in lan with your friends, even if don't play as swf , you have chances to get in a killer lobby togheter? :))) let's say a killer enable "only solo survivors" thing that you suggest... but with a lan party or software like hamachi ... they can do the same :D :D :D

• HoodiedHoodied Member Posts: 12,965

Discord chat counters this

• OkapiOkapi Member Posts: 839

Overwatch, like most other online games were balanced around both teams having voice chat. DbD was balanced around 4 survivors unable to talk with each other. When the devs added SWF, and 3rd party voice chat with it, they made the survivors the power role and not the killer.

The game becomes easy peezy with voice chat.

I'm a PS4 player so don't care that much about Lan tbh.

Exactly! It's easy with voice chat but there's no way to combat it. I play on PS4 and players would just host private chats. There needs to be a buff to the killer to make it fairer / even. Would be good if you could listen in to SWF chat so you could hear their plans but again it wouldn't work because of private parties.

I think survivors each losing a perk or the killer gaining an extra perk would be a decent step towards countering voice chat in game and making it balanced but i'm sure survivors will disagree.

• CymerCymer Member Posts: 946

@Patricia

As I suggested multiple times before: Encourage killers to face SWFs!

Make it fun and rewarding to face SWFs!

Maybe a BP multiplier?

Maybe some special features like aura reveal or free Mori after the 2nd hook (same survivor not total hooks)?

Endgame reveal the auras from the remaining SWFs.

If you hook a SWF show the aura of the other SWFs.

This would make playing as a SWF and Killer more challenging and rewarding.

There could be done much more!

Just be clear about the rules and it's counters.

I agree completely! Encourage killers to want to play against SWF. It's about time this was addressed.

• xmenfanaticxmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

Call "Kill Solo Survivors"an "Easy Mode" in the game menu

Call "Kill SWF" a "Hard Mode" on the menu.

It's not a lie for most killers, and the recognition would motivate certain people to still seek out SWF so they arent always playing easy mode.

Call SWF "Easy Mode", and Solo Survival "Hard Mode" too