Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.0.0 PTB is now available on Steam! For patch notes, instruction and more details, click here.

Minimum and maximum distance between the Exit Gates

2»

Comments

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 1,952
    edited June 2019

When I play killer and there is only one survivor left, I close the hatch and let the survivor open the gate because it's pretty stupid how close the gates are sometimes.

• NeaJovovichNeaJovovich Member Posts: 234

Entita, don't bother.

This forum is just oozing with salty Killah Mainz who pride themselves on destroying the game for 4 out of 5 people with things like CAMPING and TUNNELING because they claim "iTz A LeGiT sTrAt!"

• EntitàEntità Member Posts: 1,550

@DemonDaddy You believe in randomness, even about two gates patrolled from the same position, so do you accept sometimes Ruin spawns in front of a survivor and sometimes it lasts long minutes or do you think a hex totem next to a survivor is a bad mechanic? My answer is the second: no hex totems destroyed in a few seconds, it's unfair.

• JdsgamesJdsgames Member Posts: 1,109

I mean at the same time not only does the survivor get 1x free escape with hatch chance. If you particularly fail that the game now gives you a 3 minute timer and 2 chances to get out. I think this is fair enough as is. If not sided heavily with the survivor.

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,486
    edited June 2019

@Entità

While I find it hard to compare gates to totems, I do still consider randomness better. Is spawning on a hex great for the killer, no and its the main reason I have stayed away from all but 1 of them (tier 1 devour hope, prior to last change). Where the gates are situated for both parties to see from the start, a hex is primarily meant to be hidden until found. On top of that totem spawns locations are fixed and only the selection is random.

@DemonDaddy Yes, the gates can be seen by both sides from the beginning of the trial, but the purpose of having two gates with only one killer is that they cannot patrol both of them at the same time: everybody can have their own ideas about the minimum and maximum distance between gates, of course, but the killer's ability to patrol both of them standing still, or moving for a very few meters, is against the design and the logic of having two gates, instead of only one.

• BongbingbingBongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423
    edited June 2019

I think leaving it to RNG Is fine, If you make it too short then it'll always be in the killers favor and too far and it'll always be in the survivors favor.

Just look at maps like Lery's and the Game, With how they are laid out it's almost always a 50%+ chance at escape for the survivor which as a third chance is quite high.

If you really want that 50%+ chance though you can always skip looking for the hatch and hide near an exit gate. Sometimes you'll even be out before the killer can get to one of the gates.

• Well_Placed_HexTotemWell_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 824

The entitlement some survivors have is adorable sometimes. The problem with trying to design a “fair” EGC gate system is that “fair” is subjective. What’s “fair” to a survivor is not “fair” to the killer.

In a vast majority of these 1v1 situations, the killer has:

1. Prevented all five gens from popping off
    2. Killed the other survivors
    3. Found hatch first and closed it

And after all of this, they’re expected to give the survivor a “fair” chance to escape. How is that fair to the killer exactly?

Imagine a MOBA game where all of your towers in a lane are destroyed and your base tower is gone, but the team still expects a “fair” chance to defend 😆

@Well_Placed_HexTotem Your point is this: the killer prevented the fifth gen to be repaired, killed three survivors, closed the hatch, then they deserve 4k. Choose one of the following: 1) the closing of the hatch sacrifices the last survivor; 2) the closing of the hatch powers the gates. If you want the first, be bold and admit it. The idea of the EGC is that the last survivor can escape: it must be difficult, of course, but not impossible. A killer who can patrol two gates by standing still is as wrong as a survivor who spawns in front of Ruin: just a bad mechanic. Bad because the EGC, in theory, allows the last survivor to escape, if they are very clever and skilled, but, in practice, the gates' location makes it impossible, i.e. 2 useless minutes for both sides.

@Peanits Do you think a Nurse should be able to patrol both gates just rotating her body left and right?

• FrenziedRoachFrenziedRoach Member Posts: 1,611
    edited June 2019

The flaw in your arguement is that it doesn't take into consideration the shape, size, and composition of the map - all of which play into how the map plays for both killer's and survivors which in turn affects how fast a gate can be gotten to.

For example, Sheltered Woods is tied for second place in size - but due to it's wide open nature, getting from one end to another is much easier than a simularly sized map such as Mother's Dwelling or even Blood Lodge.

Then you got the strangeness that is maps like Asarov's Resting Place

Your calculations also fail to take into consideration that the fast killers (Wraith and Spirit) are addin-Dependent to achieve this speeds.

I'm all for exploring the idea and I applaud the attempt - but you need to stop and consider that there's more than minimal distance to think about - there's ease of traverse for the map.

I believe it can be done on a map by map basis - afterall, they were able to achieve pallet count limits on a map by map basis

• KaoMinervaKaoMinerva Member Posts: 451

Well, more than likely I'm using Billy/Nurse anyways so just how long can you loop me? Lol.

• Well_Placed_HexTotemWell_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 824

@Entità that wasn’t the point. A killer doesn’t “deserve” a 4k. They still need to find, down, and hook the last survivor, or wait out the timer. Closing the hatch doesn’t mean certain death for the last survivor, and powering the gates by closing hatch sounds lame as hell, so no thanks to either of those 👍

Ive escaped plenty of times as the last survivor and I’ve died. Doesn’t bother me if I die, I understand it’s RNG and plus the killer has already done their job.

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,486

Still its only a chance that gates spawn close and even if they do there us no garantee that it will be a single survivor trying to open it. If they are that close ensuring you have a partner become a primary concern for escape.

• BigBlackMoriBigBlackMori Member Posts: 220
    edited June 2019

I've said it before EGC existed, and i'll say it again: You won't be in this situation if you win before the endgame. Do gens, open gate, and leave. Don't tick around to farm or save anyone, don't play altruistically and get hooked for someone else. Win and leave.