Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.0.0 PTB is now available on Steam! For patch notes, instruction and more details, click here.

I hit rank 1 as Killer and now I don't know why I should keep playing competitively... ideas?

So I consider myself a competitive gamer, I always prefer ranked and competitive queues over casual in any online multiplayer game, and I've been playing DBD for about 2 months now (I've had the game for over a year but only just got into it). It's the first time I've ever hit the highest rank possible in a game, and the competitive side of gaming that I enjoy, specifically for this game has now reduced drastically. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game, and I still have a lot of work to do if I want to p3 all my killers, but the drive to want to climb, to do better, to get better, now feels like it has gone. I know it's been stated before, and there's probably been other threads about it, but now that I've hit rank 1, what more is there for me to gain? There's no reward system, there's no killer leader board to climb, and if I want to play more relaxed than usual and I end up de-pipping, all I have to do is play 1-3 good rounds and I'm back at the top rank.

I enjoy having something to strive for in competitive games, more specifically, something that shows improvement, or skill or even prestigious, but with no end of season rewards, no form of survivor and killer leaderboard to compare your abilities with other killers, nothing, what point is there to wanting to maintain that rank, to climb all over again? Don;t get me wrong, I will have goals to climb back to rank 1 each season, and I will enjoy playing the game, but what is there really to keep me bothering to climb back up there? I don;t consider bloodpoints and leveling up characters as a suggestion because that has nothing to do with your rank or how good you are, it is simply grinding/farming and can be done at any rank. With the recent opening of the in-game store, I feel now would be a better time than ever to at least implement some kind of prestigious ranked rewards such as a cosmetic item (obviously something viable and doesn't clash with the current bloodweb prestige system. I wouldn't call that an optimal idea, but at least it would be something.

What are your thoughts? What would you like to see in regards to adding more value and prestige to reaching certain ranks?
And what would your suggestions be to try and currently bring back my competitive drive for the game (given that I have no interest in becoming a rank 1 survivor)?

Comments

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,453

Challenge yourself to reach rank 1 with a different killer. Maybe even a weak one as Wraith or Freddy.

• Timebomb0800Timebomb0800 Member Posts: 70

@Tsulan said:
    Challenge yourself to reach rank 1 with a different killer. Maybe even a weak one as Wraith or Freddy.

Freddy is who I actually got to rank 1 with. Climbed from rank 10 to rank 1 playing him, even though the main reason I was bulk playing him was to use up all his add-ons and offerings before prestige'ing up(admittedly using all those add-ons and offering took so much longer than I expected)

And not a bad idea, although can currently just play multiple killers at my rank and maintain my rank while still playing those killers. For example, haven;t really touched huntress until the last couple of days. Have been enjoying her, and even though I haven;t played her much, I can still pip up with her at rank 1, so it kinda eliminates the challenge and question of whether my skill with other killers could compare. Plus I don;t necessarily want to play killers I don;t fin over fun either. Although I did do that with leatherface when playing him to unlock bbq and chilli, and I did get significantly better with him and learnt how to play him, but I still don't want to set myself challenges to achieve the highest rank possible with killers I don;t enjoy playing. I mean, i want to be somewhat decent at all killers, but also challenging myself and limiting myself to play pretty much for a whole killer just to try and reach a rank I know I could obtain with killers I enjoy playing doesn't sound overly appealing either.

• TizzleTizzle Member Posts: 334

Other than play Survivor, not sure what to tell ya.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,453

There really should be some incentives like shards, BPs or auric cells. For people which reach a high rank.

• deadwolfwalkingdeadwolfwalking Member Posts: 617

unless you have other circumstances, i wouldn't care about rank. like @TydeTyme has said, he keeps his ranks high only because of his 'how to' guides. its understandable. i wouldn't consider a rank 20's opinion as at all.... where as if a rank 5 - 1 said it, i would take it as legit.... so unless you're a streamer or make instructional videos, i'd just play in the rank you feel most comfortable....

@deadwolfwalking said:
    unless you have other circumstances, i wouldn't care about rank. like @TydeTyme has said, he keeps his ranks high only because of his 'how to' guides. its understandable. i wouldn't consider a rank 20's opinion as at all.... where as if a rank 5 - 1 said it, i would take it as legit.... so unless you're a streamer or make instructional videos, i'd just play in the rank you feel most comfortable....

I have been recording footage over the past 2-3 weeks, as I figured perhaps streaming or making DBD vids since I have hit that rank 1 killer, might be semi-successful.

@Timebomb0800

well.... fair enough then. good luck to ya....

• shyguyyshyguyy Member Posts: 48

Try playing the game for fun, because this is not a competitive game.

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 7,237

The problem with rank rewards is that 1) ranks reset once a month which is way too often IMO, and 2) rank is not an actual reflection of skill more a reflection of time commitment. You don't have to be the BEST player to reach rank 1 on either side, just good enough to pip more often than you depip. Also it depends on the groups you play with. Me and my buddy are rank 1 survivors, but this month he hasn't played nearly as much as me bc of his kid. So I'm rank 1 while he is rank 8 or so right now. He is still technically a rank 1 level player, but he is at rank 8 because he just doesn't play much lately. Then we got like 4 other people we have been playing with 2 of which are brand spanking new players. When we start a lobby it's rank 1, rank 8, rank 3, and rank 20. Maybe 2 rank 20's. We end up getting rank 15 killers that only have a chance of getting kills if they catch the rank 20 guys first. If they find me or my buddy they will be chasing us all game. It's quite unfair, I will usually go out of my way to play fair, not rushing gens or using cheesey add-ons like BNP, just so the killer doesn't rage quit (though I'm sure when they look at the scoreboard at the end of the game they think to themselves "RANK 1! No wonder I couldn't catch that guy" or if they did catch me "RANK 1! And I caught him!" so maybe they feel a little good about that even if they lost I hope).

• SadonicShadowSadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,143

@Tsulan said:
    There really should be some incentives like shards, BPs or auric cells. For people which reach a high rank.

Really would be nice to get a 50% bonus to bloodpoints per pip.

@shyguyy said:

"Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game"
    " I will have goals to climb back to rank 1 each season, and I will enjoy playing the game"

Did you read the whole post? I clearly stated that I was having fun, I do play it for fun. A contributing factor to fun in online games for me is the competitive side. If there's no competition, I find multiplayer games less fun than what I would than if they had competitive game modes. So yes, this whole time I have been playing for fun.

@thesuicidefox said:
    The problem with rank rewards is that 1) ranks reset once a month which is way too often IMO, and 2) rank is not an actual reflection of skill more a reflection of time commitment. You don't have to be the BEST player to reach rank 1 on either side, just good enough to pip more often than you depip. Also it depends on the groups you play with. Me and my buddy are rank 1 survivors, but this month he hasn't played nearly as much as me bc of his kid. So I'm rank 1 while he is rank 8 or so right now. He is still technically a rank 1 level player, but he is at rank 8 because he just doesn't play much lately. Then we got like 4 other people we have been playing with 2 of which are brand spanking new players. When we start a lobby it's rank 1, rank 8, rank 3, and rank 20. Maybe 2 rank 20's. We end up getting rank 15 killers that only have a chance of getting kills if they catch the rank 20 guys first. If they find me or my buddy they will be chasing us all game. It's quite unfair, I will usually go out of my way to play fair, not rushing gens or using cheesey add-ons like BNP, just so the killer doesn't rage quit (though I'm sure when they look at the scoreboard at the end of the game they think to themselves "RANK 1! No wonder I couldn't catch that guy" or if they did catch me "RANK 1! And I caught him!" so maybe they feel a little good about that even if they lost I hope).

I completely agree, the current rank system is "okay" at best, they either need casual lobby's, or more work to improve the ranking system, IMO anyway.

• RSBRSB Member Posts: 2,258
    edited July 2018

@Timebomb0800 said:

@Tsulan said:

Freddy is who I actually got to rank 1 with. Climbed from rank 10 to rank 1 playing him, even though the main reason I was bulk playing him was to use up all his add-ons and offerings before prestige'ing up(admittedly using all those add-ons and offering took so much longer than I expected)

And not a bad idea, although can currently just play multiple killers at my rank and maintain my rank while still playing those killers. For example, haven;t really touched huntress until the last couple of days. Have been enjoying her, and even though I haven;t played her much, I can still pip up with her at rank 1, so it kinda eliminates the challenge and question of whether my skill with other killers could compare. Plus I don;t necessarily want to play killers I don;t fin over fun either. Although I did do that with leatherface when playing him to unlock bbq and chilli, and I did get significantly better with him and learnt how to play him, but I still don't want to set myself challenges to achieve the highest rank possible with killers I don;t enjoy playing. I mean, i want to be somewhat decent at all killers, but also challenging myself and limiting myself to play pretty much for a whole killer just to try and reach a rank I know I could obtain with killers I enjoy playing doesn't sound overly appealing either.

Challanges are what you need. Try with something remotely easy - perkless killers. Then you can play with meme Myers, meme Wraith etc. Then use perks that hinders you (for instance Disstressing on Freddy).

• EpicFailTryHardEpicFailTryHard Member Posts: 1,316
    #stealthbrag
  • Mc_HartyMc_Harty Member Posts: 3,294

Play for bloodpoints. It's what most players do.

• lasombra1979lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

For me, I do not find ranks as the nature of competitiveness. I look at each new match for that. Rankings to me says who has the most time to spend playing this game, not who is actually better. Once I stopped looking at rankings for my competitive needs and just looked at each match as the challenge, my enjoyment of the game went much higher. (And yes, I have been Rank 1 before)

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 9,501

I just read the title. Call me lazy, that's fine cause i do feel lazy.
    But in terms of answering the title: There's no NEED to play competitively.
    I have Devour Hope equipped on all Killers at all times, i will NOT play without it, i find it too much fun to use.
    But that's just an example, doesn't have to be DH. You can, for example, go for an Obsession-only build or a build with Perks focusing on helping you with chases etc. etc.

• Grey87Grey87 Member Posts: 346

Try playing survivor then.
    And btw dbd is not a competitive in the first place. Not the way it's made, even if the devs tried to make a fail tournament that proved nothing.

• ZarathosZarathos Member Posts: 844

@shyguyy said:

Some of my post game lobbies would suggest otherwise. People get pretty competitive in DBD. One survivor understandably lost the plot over how i brought in an ebony mori with a infinite tier 3 myers. It was pretty funny. Naturally i moried em all and got both cheevo's rank 1 and blood on your face I think.

• ZarathosZarathos Member Posts: 844

@EpicFailTryHard said:

stealthbrag

Oh look its a p3 Claudette hiding here.

• LowbeiLowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    what? so you climbed the ranks to get to rank1 where the pros play, then finally reached it, and dont want to compete at that level now?

@Lowbei said:
    what? so you climbed the ranks to get to rank1 where the pros play, then finally reached it, and dont want to compete at that level now?

Is there a pro scene? Or are high level players considered pros at the game? I've only really been playing for just over 2months. You've sparked my interest now

• SomeissuesSomeissues Member Posts: 1,368
    edited July 2018

Derank back to 20, slaughter noobs, rinse and repeat

is how I called Fun compared to suffering from Rank 1

Rank 1 forces you to play the holy trinity, with Nurse being the only one capable of dealing with SWF efficiently, Huntress with 1 hit kill hatchet etc

• LowbeiLowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2018

@Lowbei said:

Is there a pro scene? Or are high level players considered pros at the game? I've only really been playing for just over 2months. You've sparked my interest now

yes. tho like in all games, the low ranked randos will tell you that rank means nothing, due to their inability to compete there.
  • OutlandOutland Member Posts: 535

You can try playing perkless, or addon free.

Or play the Killer differently, say only saw Billy, or something like that.

If you decide to try something different, I'd love to hear what you are doing to make the game fun for you again.

@Outland said:
    You can try playing perkless, or addon free.

Or play the Killer differently, say only saw Billy, or something like that.

If you decide to try something different, I'd love to hear what you are doing to make the game fun for you again.

i saw @TydeTyme 4k with a no blink nurse. it was wild as hell. he bloodlusted the [BAD WORD] out of em....