We are aware of an issue where the Trapper's Ornate Mask is not appearing in your items - there is no need to contact Support for this matter, we will hopefully have a resolution to this shortly.
The stench of rotting Pustula Plants fills the air: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/93854/
Some players have been facing an issue that causes partial loss of progress. We found one cause of the issue and are planning a fix for the mid-chapter update. In the meantime you can use this workaround: restart the game client after using the Custom game feature. Thank you.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Gen Rush is too strong at high rank play

The deciding factor for a game as killer is if the survivors have a hard time finding your Ruin totem.

I'm rank 1-2 and if i get paired with survivors that are 1-5 they are going to gen rush because that's their only objective. It's not uncommon that I get my first downed survivor with 2 gens left, which makes for a very un-fun game.

I understand this is a difficult topic to balance, because of low rank, but it needs to be addressed.

Comments

• Doctor_DerekDoctor_Derek Member Posts: 74

@YieldingBusiness said:
    It shouldn't have to come to the point where you have to always run Ruin in high ranks

This always bothers me. I never really like gamble perks in games, but it's the only defense to gen rush atm

• Michael_MyersMichael_Myers Member Posts: 104

Ag> @Doctor_Derek said:

The deciding factor for a game as killer is if the survivors have a hard time finding your Ruin totem.

I'm rank 1-2 and if i get paired with survivors that are 1-5 they are going to gen rush because that's their only objective. It's not uncommon that I get my first downed survivor with 2 gens left, which makes for a very un-fun game.

I understand this is a difficult topic to balance, because of low rank, but it needs to be addressed.

Agree with this statement. I'm not sure how to go about balancing it though. I'll leave it to people who are smarter and more creative than me lol

@Mc_Harty said:
    Gen-rushing wouldn't be a problem if pallets weren't so effective at wasting the killers time.

For sure. It's all connected which is why game balance is so tricky.

• Science_GuyScience_Guy Member Posts: 548

The problem is that it has been addressed multiple times and each time players have been satisfied for a few weeks, and then it was right back to the old complaints. They buffed gen times, they nerfed co-op bonuses, they buffed gen times again, they added regression, they buffed Ruin, they buffed regression. Not to mention the changes to exit gates.

• VesselOfSatanVesselOfSatan Member Posts: 9

What if a version of Fire Up was built into all killers and the percentages would increase based on how fast the generators were being done. This makes it so a full SWF gen rushing squad gives the killer a massive boost to whatever stats, while some newer players that get a gen done every 3 minutes or so don't.

• MichaelMyersMichaelMyers Member Posts: 3

kinda true

• ThePeejeThePeeje Member Posts: 70

Firstly, Thanataphobia needs a big buff. It should be an alternative to Ruin for high skill and active players. weaker in the short term. but better in the long term. Using both should really limit gen rush.

Secondly, they need to add more reason to sabo and cleanse totems.

Thirdly, more perks like Ruin and Thanat need to exist. There should be 3 or 4 choices that do the same thing, each with its own playstyle. Ruin can be played as a hit and hope kind of perk, or with TotH as a beacon to lure survivors into a trap. Thanat should be for high skill, active, non camper/tunnelers. And more need to be made.Something along the lines of: For every generator that gets fixed, a debuff of 10% occurs to every survivor. Or the opposite maybe. Permanent debuff, that goes away and maybe even increases their fixing late in the game.

Fourth: more perks could be made that speed gen progression, or buffs to leader/prove thy self/resilience and then increase gen time overall. Making those perks more desirable.

• VisionmakerVisionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

@ThePeeje said:
    Firstly, Thanataphobia needs a big buff. It should be an alternative to Ruin for high skill and active players. weaker in the short term. but better in the long term. Using both should really limit gen rush.

Secondly, they need to add more reason to sabo and cleanse totems.

Thirdly, more perks like Ruin and Thanat need to exist. There should be 3 or 4 choices that do the same thing, each with its own playstyle. Ruin can be played as a hit and hope kind of perk, or with TotH as a beacon to lure survivors into a trap. Thanat should be for high skill, active, non camper/tunnelers. And more need to be made.Something along the lines of: For every generator that gets fixed, a debuff of 10% occurs to every survivor. Or the opposite maybe. Permanent debuff, that goes away and maybe even increases their fixing late in the game.

Fourth: more perks could be made that speed gen progression, or buffs to leader/prove thy self/resilience and then increase gen time overall. Making those perks more desirable.

I'm hoping it won't be too big because Ruin is counterable by being a Hex. But dead/DC'd survivors should count toward Thanatophobia for sure.

And yeah, what else do survivors do aside from scavenge items, totems, and gens? At most, survivors who want to win only have one objective to do (aside from Hexes).

• MonitorZeroMonitorZero Member Posts: 14

There's no such thing as gen rushing. That's like saying kill rushing.

@MonitorZero said:

That's basically the point. It's all they have to do so it happens too fast.

• sorrowensorrowen Member Posts: 474
    I’ve seen the idea of gens having parts that must be found. Which I like it extends the game and Survivors have something else to do.
  • mistar_zmistar_z Member Posts: 269
    edited May 2018

@Doctor_Derek said:

@MonitorZero said:

Yups that's why I think its very iffy to play right now. With how long survivors can stall on pallets loops and how little incentive there is to do other things it just makes the game overwhelmingly fast for most of the killers, especially ones that weren't for chasing.

[hurray first comment]

• mistar_zmistar_z Member Posts: 269
    edited May 2018

True true.

I do want to see the games be reasonably slower, hopefully with the changes to the pallets it'll mean we'd see shorter chases. But I am concerned if only going to fix the issue with increasing the time of repairs, I think making the survivors spend more time finding totems (especially those godforsaken hex totems) would be a good place to start to help lengthen up the games.

Its appalling to see that a match be make or break by one perk.

• CallMeRusty420CallMeRusty420 Member Posts: 615
    edited May 2018

Check out this post I made about my suggestions for balance. Scroll down to the bottom to see my hex perk rework ideas and I'd really like your opinion on them.
    http://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/453/these-balance-changes-that-i-am-confident-will-help-this-games-balance#latest

• CaretakerCaretaker Member Posts: 764

Right now survivors aren't scared of you at all, and that's a big factor in how fast gens get done. Factor in toolboxes, +gen boosting perks, etc, and they burn stupid fast. If a survivor sees you're in a chase/hitting a survivor it's a free generator. It's insane how fast gens are finished. I had a game where I was actually snowballing hard. Quick chase, hook. Quick chase, hook. 3 gens done. One per hook somehow. The free survivors were pounding gens then saving, and I couldn't really do anything unless I wanted to camp, and I don't want to be forced to play that way.

Ruin is our only way to counter it, and with the awful totem spawns it's a meme. It is a literal wasted slot as higher rank survivors will gen tap or just hit the checks anyway. But we HAVE to run it despite it blowing at the start of the match.

• only1biggsonly1biggs Member Posts: 1,178

You can always slug as a killer and keep people off gens. Mind game them correctly when in a chase, know when and when not to kick a gen, generally learn to get better. I used to moan a bit about gens being done quickly, then I learned to play properly and get better.

Use better killers at higher ranks for a start (Billy, Nurse, Huntress). That will help. Harder to master but worth it.

@SaltyKiller said:
    Slugging generally isn't viable unless you're down to 2 Survivors or you have a situation where you've hooked someone and downed a rescuer and you still have someone on a hook.

In general, slugging just doesn't work unless you're using The Pig and trapping them. The problem is that it takes forever for them to die when they've been downed, it gets easier for Survivors to get them back up the longer they've been slugged, and it only takes about 5-10 seconds for them to get picked back up. Not to mention that they could be running Unbreakable because of course they would.

Oh yeah, and thanks to the Emblem system, if they bleed out you don't get credit for that kill now.

Saying "try slugging to get them off gens" is really bad advice.

But if one person or even two leave gens to heal a slug, is that not slowing the game for you as killer and also giving you information as to where the healing survivors are? Slugging is totally viable and excellent advice. Find one quickly with Whispers, hook, slug another and go from there, see how fast your games go in YOUR favour :+1:

@SaltyKiller said:

@only1biggs said:

@SaltyKiller said:
    Slugging generally isn't viable unless you're down to 2 Survivors or you have a situation where you've hooked someone and downed a rescuer and you still have someone on a hook.

In general, slugging just doesn't work unless you're using The Pig and trapping them. The problem is that it takes forever for them to die when they've been downed, it gets easier for Survivors to get them back up the longer they've been slugged, and it only takes about 5-10 seconds for them to get picked back up. Not to mention that they could be running Unbreakable because of course they would.

Oh yeah, and thanks to the Emblem system, if they bleed out you don't get credit for that kill now.

Saying "try slugging to get them off gens" is really bad advice.

But if one person or even two leave gens to heal a slug, is that not slowing the game for you as killer and also giving you information as to where the healing survivors are? Slugging is totally viable and excellent advice. Find one quickly with Whispers, hook, slug another and go from there, see how fast your games go in YOUR favour :+1:

Not really because you're only delaying them by about 5-10 seconds. Maybe 20 overall but it depends on the map. It makes more sense to hook them and get something out of it, moreso if you have BBQ & Chill. Slugging really only works when there's 2 Survivors left or you're in a really good situation or you're using The Pig.

You either can't read, don't understand or you're being intentionally dishonest. If you hook one, then slug, the other two are forced off gens to save, or at least one. Then you have more information as a killer to get another on a hook... them not doing gens is a good thing for you :/

Also...

Why would you use the Pig? :'D

• MonitorZeroMonitorZero Member Posts: 14

@MonitorZero said:

So get ruin? Or switch to a more aggressive killer?