Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Is struggling on the hook necessary?

I can't help but wish struggling on the hook didn't involve button mashing. After carpal tunnel surgery my ability to mash buttons at a steady pace has been severely diminished, I know some other folks in the same boat where it feels like the struggle is really too much of a struggle. Perhaps you can replace the struggle phase with skill checks to buy you time?

I've seen many new games replacing button mashing mechanics or allowing you to bypass them in options and I really appreciate this new direction in gameplay, I hoping to see something to help gamers like myself who just don't enjoy button mashing for one reason or another.

Comments

• bendermacbendermac Member Posts: 772

You don't have to mash like a maniac. Just press steady on the button, two presses per second are enough. Same goes for wiggling.

• JdsgamesJdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    edited June 2019

I have been using Mouse wheel down and it has been better than the button mash. #KeyboardKeyLivesMatter

• FrozenscumFrozenscum Member Posts: 393

Remap struggling to mouse wheel and just scroll up or down, whichever is more comfortable for you.

And btw, I don't like the bashing either. It's really annoying.

• grimtepesgrimtepes Member Posts: 3

I play on PS4, If I could wiggle the sticks it would't be that bad but button mashing any button is just annoying.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 6,026

I wish I could remap it to the mouse wheel, but I play on console.

I hate having to button mash to stay alive. The longer I play survivor, the more likely I am to let myself die when I reach stage two on the hook. I feel like my thumb should be a mini Superman at this point, but instead it just pops funny in the joint when I bend it.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 5,800
    edited June 2019

I think it's really dumb. It was immersive maybe the first 3 times it happened. I'm older. I have arthritis, and I had thumb surgery as a child. It's really uncomfortable for me to button mash for that length of time. There doesn't have to be any interaction there. It's pointless. This isn't 2003.

• ElkElk Member Posts: 2,267

I like the idea for it doing it by itself and if you hold down a button it is like letting go or struggle, something like that. If not that then some other alternative than button/key mashing.

• Mrs_FairfieldMrs_Fairfield Member Posts: 125

I'm kinda just done with this, it's stupid and painful. It sucks for the other survivors but it literally hurts my hand and controller.

• RoKruegerRoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

You don't have to smash buttons and hurt your delicate fingers: Just let it go, let it go ;-)

• Rex_HuinRex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

I usually keep one of my 5 year olds on hand while I play to do the button mashing for me.

• BithardBithard Member Posts: 406

It's the wiggling that gets me. It ruins controllers 😂

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 12,965

Or you could just...

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 2,060

This is one of the reason why I don't like playing as survivor

• malloymkmalloymk Member Posts: 1,436

Honestly the wiggling should be the button mashing instead of the toggle and the struggle should be hold x (or just a timer).

They did a pretty good job so far 🤣

• tehshadowman33tehshadowman33 Member Posts: 939

Get rid of the button mashing. I hate the fact I had to bind it to my mouse wheel and constantly spin the thing to make this work.

WHY

• HattyHatty Member Posts: 121

at first when i was a noob i loved it, now after 1000h+ of playtime it is just annoying

They made it that way to make it feel like the entity really wants to kill you and you want to struggle. It is fun, yes, specially if you see the animation

perhaps after certain Player Level you don't have to do that anymore? like idk "You gained a bond with the entity so struggling is easier" perhaps at devotion 1 lol