We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

PS4 overheating only on DbD

2»

Comments

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 12,270
    Close the application when it says it’s too hot then go back in always works for me. (Well almost always)
  • EvelineEveline Member Posts: 2,340
    It happens mostly only before starting the game to me. I have ps4 pro.
  • RAMMER44RAMMER44 Member Posts: 1

This same thing happens to me. I can play all other games fine but only DbD causes it to overheat

• ChefExcellenceChefExcellence Member Posts: 4

On my PS4, when it gets to the title saying press X, my PS4 fans rev right up and stay at max until I either press X to go to the main menu or close the game. It doesn't overheat, just throttles the fans up for some reason

• hugessfanhugessfan Member Posts: 13

Why is this problem being ignored? The Ps4 thinks it is overheating only when the loading screen starts. My ps4 is clean, my ps4 is perfectly cool before I get on the game, and only Dead by Daylight has this problem. My ps4 and game is up to date. I used to get around this problem by going to the home screen while it loaded. When Ghostface released, I have not been able to get pass this problem. This overheating problem has been an issue since August. Why is there no fix?

• chuckles5009chuckles5009 Member Posts: 24

This problem became very serious after the 3.0.0 patch, and this issue often forces ps4 to shut down.

• SnapshotSnapshot Member Posts: 648

I can indeed confirm this, a friend with a normal PS4 (not PRO) told me it happens to him too, sometimes also overheats. After multiple tries, eventually he can load through @Peanits @KhaineGB please advise

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 904

I don't own the game on PS4, or even have PS+ to be able to try it out.

But I'll ask around and see if anyone has any ideas. If I had to take an educated guess, I would assume the frame rate is uncapped at that point which is why it gets warm (you can see the PC version do this if you turn on the steam FPS overlay).

On PC, on the loading screen the framerate is not uncapped AFAIK (where you have to press any button)

That's what I noticed too when I have the steam overlay on.

Some information that might be helpful:

In a situation where the ps4 itself is the cause, like if the system is dirty, first a message will pop up saying the system is starting to overheat. Then the ps4 light will go red. Then it will make three beeps before shutting itself off.

When DBD causes the system to think it is overheating, the message only pops up for less than a second before the system shuts off along with the 3 beeps, but the light doesn't change red. The game shuts off the system unnaturally fast.

As far as frames go, Rainbow six siege provides a good example as to how the system handles framerate. On terrorist hunt, the fps jumps to around 400+ (this started the current season) according to the game's info display. The system runs fine.

While searching for a solution, I found that this issue goes as far back as September 27, 2017. The problem has been happening to more people over time, but is not that common which makes the cause of the problem unclear.

Only happens on DBD, only happens after you press x to to start loading but before the menu is shown, only happens on ps4, cleanliness is not the issue (I clean my ps4 internally regularly), the problem happens both with disc and download (I use download).

Hope this helps

Yeah, I hope they have good news soon

• AlfredAlfred Member Posts: 272

PC player here problem is following:

When the game start it runs maximum possible fps for me (over 400 fps almost 100% GPU) then it drops to 120 fps (which I set as a maximum) but in menu!

So menu has same load on GPU as playing the game. (over 80% GTX 1080).

Every other game has menu capped at 30 fps except DBD...

Today, I opened DBD and had the overheat problem shut off my ps4 three times. I opened black ops 4 (which causes my ps4 to sound really loud but never overheat) and then reopened DBD. DBD worked. Usually I have to try randomly throughout the day to hope I'll get lucky enough to get on. Yesterday, I also played BO4 before being able to get on DBD without issue. I plan on testing this method everyday this week to see if it is a consistent solution.

I feel like the problem is that the loading screen isn't prepping the system first or at least not properly.

Anything new since you asked around pls? My friend still has this problem

The method has worked everytime. If I log out of my profile or restart my ps4, the overheat will reappear until I do the method again.

I am certain that this means I am correct in assuming that the problem MUST be caused by the game not properly preparing the ps4 and NOT the framerate.

• FogItFogIt Member Posts: 21

The PS4 Pro runs like Hell. She is 5 Month old, I start PS4 than starting DbD is like an Airplane. 6 Min waiting Time for Lobby. Angry!

edited September 19

:(

Post edited by hugessfan on
  • FogItFogIt Member Posts: 21

Hey there, shes still blowing but waitingtime is much better! Nice Job 🤗😘

• xxWSmithxxWSmith Member Posts: 1

Yea its 2019 it's started happening 2 me now when I get 2 the menu when it says X my ps4 sounds like a jet then it overheats then cuts off, I've been looking for a solution and I can't find 1 I've took my ps4 apart and cleaned top to bottom it's still doing it but it's perfect on other games I've tried all the solutions up above still does not work plz help I can't play DBD anymore...

• Jploon6725Jploon6725 Member Posts: 1

I have the exact same problem, i dont think i will he trying the bo4 tactic because i dont want my ps4 messing up, sad to say that all my friends can play together without me because of poor developmemt

@KhaineGB Finally anything new on this??

The last I heard was simply "Cannot reproduce."

All I can suggest is making sure your PS4 vents aren't blocked with dust/fur/hair, consider getting someone to clean out the fan and change the thermal paste, and then make sure the console has plenty of air flow (so don't stick it in a TV cabinet. Put it on top)

• ToeCheeseThe18thToeCheeseThe18th Member Posts: 1

@hugessfan

So, the thing about starting up a game to sort of prep the fans first worked for getting me past the main menu, but now my PS4 immediately commits suicide before loading into a match, normally as the offerings each player used are being shown. I haven't found any good way to get past this. Any ideas?